82 vw vanagon diesel

Moderator: Fatmobile

heidiperre

82 vw vanagon diesel

Post by heidiperre »

I just picked up a 82 van diesel, and it has sat for 10 years. Any of you cow pokes out there be able to answer my questions and be my mentor in this restoration project? I need a friendly mentor who can answer basics westy diesel questions and wouldn't mind helping me out. The great thing is the body is superb and the camping equipment all works. I just need some common sense questions answered like, how do I get a key for the gas tank cover? etc? etc?

I would be one happy camper to meet one more knowlegable than me, and we can communicate by e mail.

Thanks a million!!

Tom
VancouverVan

Post by VancouverVan »

Well...

I'll happily do what I can. I bought an 82 Diesel Westy about two years ago; it hadn't run for about a year, after having been overheated and killed. I ended up replacing the motor and doing a lot of related work to get it road-ready. It's been on about three road trips now, with few problems besides my billowing smoke on start-up, which I think won't be too hard to fix when I've time.

So does your Westy go?

I have no idea what to do about the gas tank key....
69 doublecab
Glow Plug

gas cap key

Post by 69 doublecab »

On later ones the ignition key will open it. If not, I just take a good screwdriver , put it in the keyslot, and twist it open. Key won't work anymore, but a screwdriver is now my key!
Al
69 doublecab
Still Lookin for Clues at the Scene of the Crime (Joe Walsh)

Post by Guest »

the gas tank key should match the main ignition and door lock key- maybe go to a lock smith- maybe 50-100$
daneo101
Glow Plug

parts

Post by daneo101 »

Go to bussdepot.com------ buy a new cap for $12-20 bucks max.