What parts/tools will I need for TB & frnt seal replacem

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Buzz
Cetane Booster

Post by Buzz »

jets wrote:I know 99% of you guys drive LHD cars but for the 1% with RHD cars ref. to passenger side of engine can be misinterpreted. I suggest just to say RHS.
The problem with saying RHS or LHS is that it too can me misinterpreted. Is it from the viewpoint of looking into the engine bay or from sitting in the car? I guess we could always refer to things as belt side or transmission side...
1982 Diesel Rabbit
poptotwoboys
Glow Plug

Leak on the belt side of the world

Post by poptotwoboys »

Well it couldn't wait till this weekend; I started by hosing down the engine to remove the excess oil, started it up and watched. Oil was coming from high on the engine so I checked the torque on the valve cover and was able to get several turns before the 87 inch pound click. I drove to work this evening and no more oil leak. I used the cork gasket from the engine set, when I remove the valve cover to re-torque the head bolts at a thousand miles, I'll upgrade to the rubber gasket and the shoulder less studs. :D Happy it wasn't any of the oil seals on the belt side.
1985 2 door Diesel Jetta
1987 2 door Jetta Automatic gasser
canucklehead
Cetane Booster

Post by canucklehead »

i think remove the block bearing as cam seal slides out easily this way. and new one slides in easily too.
3 oil burners: '89 Jetta, '99 F350, '00 John Deere 790