Injection Pump Question

Moderator: Fatmobile

vwtopia
Cetane Booster

Injection Pump Question

Post by vwtopia »

I have an 82 Diesel Vanagon that I am installing an 85 Diesel Golf engine in. I have both engines out of their vehicles and slowly moving parts needed from the 82 block to the 85 block. One item that I swapped out is the injection pump so the vanagon pump is on the Golf block. I was very careful to install the pump in the same position as the original pump was. There was a white mark on the pulley and since the pulley is keyed I feel that it is in the same position. I don't know much about the pumps so my question is do I need to do anything more before I try and start it? Can I hurt anything? Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks,
Kevin
VancouverVan

Post by VancouverVan »

There's a cam and pump-pulley lock-down procedure for setting the timing belt (pump, crank, cam) on the 1.6D. Did you follow that for both engines?

I didn't on mine, and found it not only mis-timed, but unable to turn over. It's an interference engine, and mistimed, the valves smack pistons. I had to monkey with it a bit, and then I actually read Bentley and did it right.

I still found it tough to get the timing right, and it took about four attempts to get it to go over 45 mph.