Glow, Glow, Glow, and a Merry Christmas to all!

Moderator: Fatmobile

Vancouver Van

Glow, Glow, Glow, and a Merry Christmas to all!

Post by Vancouver Van »

Finishing my glow plug topic -

having yesterday failed to draw any amps, this morning I removed the injectors, confirmed the glow plugs all had tips in there, and ran the system through six cycles, using the ignition switch, confirmed by having the voltmeter hooked up. No heat was generate.

With jumper cables I applied 12 volts direct to the gp system - no heat.

I removed all four and replace with four new genuine Bosch plugs. I applied 12 volts directly with the jumper cables, and all four glowed red within seconds.

I confirmed with the ignition switch, then reassembled, and started the engine.

It smokes more than I'd like, but a good deal less than it did. I'm letting it sit and cool now; I pumped the foot-feed when first cranking, as it didn't want to fire and I habitually hit the foot-feed, like I would on a gas motor. Probably a waste of Diesel...and probably increased the smoke.

But it starts and goes. Lessons learned:

1. Buy 'name-brand' parts. The parts house ran the part number off the old plugs and couldn't tell who made them...I forgive myself for buying them, as I was a Diesel infant them, and didn't know any better. Should've - I run NGK or Bosch plugs in my gas engines - having lost all faith in Autolite and Champion on a deserted Oregon highway in 1987.

2. The amperage test was key.

3. The amperage test was key - and can be used to measure how many glow plugs are actually working.

4. The amperage test was key - this engine has coldsmoked since day one - and then it coldsmoked and barely started - then it didn't start at all. I believe plugs were failing, one by one. A simple amperage test would've revealed this quickly. I'm lucky I wasn't stranded somewhere.

It runs now. I have to decide whether to keep it. In frustration, I've advertised...there's interest...