Oil ByPass Filters

Moderator: Fatmobile

Oil ByPass Filters

Post by Guest »

Has anyone had any experience installing or operating an Oil ByPass filtration system on a TD 1.6 Westy or Vanagon. There is a Toilet Paper Set-up that appeals to me and if I could find the room I would do so.

M-30 Filter Kit found at http://www.bypassfilter.com/MotorGuardFilters.htm

I asked the site owner about filter change intervals and he indicated that gas 4cyl. engines @ 4k miles but diesels may require more frequent changes due to dirtier oil. I've read about 500k miles on trucks using the same oil (just topping up) and showing nil wear upon teardown when using a supplementary oil ByPass system. Most big trucks now run these.
Thanks for any help.
Mike Moery

bypass filter

Post by Mike Moery »

I installed the Motorguard filter you mentioned on my 1.6TD Westy last year, and have been very pleased with it. It's very quick and easy to replace the toilet paper core, and is less messy than changing the stock full flow filter. I change it every thousand miles or so, since the TP rolls are so cheap, although I'm sure I could go much longer. After all, even if the core became completely blocked, the stock filter is there, and the oil would stilll be filtered the same as it was before the bypass unit was installed.
Email me at mikemoery@mac.com if you want details or photos on the installation.