1.6 TD into Vanagon

Moderator: Fatmobile

revkenjones
Glow Plug

1.6 TD into Vanagon

Post by revkenjones »

I currently own a Rabbit P/U into which a previous owner put a 1.6Turbo Diesel and 5 speed from an 84 Jetta (the seller claimed, though I have no way to confirm). The engine is in great shape and the P/U is very fast since it is a light load. I'm very interested in finding a Vanagon to put this engine into (for family camping trips with biodiesel.) My mechanic recommends against it, because he says it would be underpowered. Is this true? Also, if I ignore his advice and do it anyway, what year(s) Vanagon would work best? Can I use the Jetta 5-speed? Would I have to find a diesel Vanagon or can this engine be put into a gas one?
danfromsyr
Glow Plug

Post by danfromsyr »

well your mechanic is only half right..

it will be underpowered, compared to your current ride in a light vehicle..

but you SHOULD go thru with it, family camping experiances are the best memories you can give.. and what better then in a VW camper..

you have a few options and pitfalls to consider.. most cost time and fabrication ALL cost $$.

in 1982 & 83 vw sold the vanagon Diesel, in passanger and camper variations, they were SLOW with a 48hp 1600cc Naturally Aspirated diesel and LOW gearing for hill climbing.. top speed stock was similiar to the VW thing 68mph..

a vanagon diesel will be a rare bird to find, though there are several offered around the country time to time.. currently the Bio-craze is raising values, they used to be dirt cheap for their slowness.

to put a Diesel into a non-diesel bodied vanagon you'll need either:
1) a diesel donor, for ALL of the engine realted parts (do some searches) about $450-600
2) a KEP adapter plate about $500-550

the Jetta TD places the turbo in the worng place for the vanagon DS engine mount, you'll either have to change the mount to a custom design, or acquire a Quantum TD exhaust manifold and adjust all of your turbo plumbing.

the vanagon diesel oil pan is unique and MUST be used if going with a 50degree mounting (to clear the back engine lid) but it does not have any provision for the turbo oil return, this you will have to carefully measure 3x and drill once

almost lastly you will want a vanagon aircooled tranny to better match the TD power band and bring cruising speeds above 70.

now I've seen a few bay windows with rabbit I4s and they fit well. in the 15' original mounting, for this you'll have to fabricate everything for the plumbing, exhaust and wiring..

I could actually go on for a bunch more, but i'm @ work and have to get busy..

it may just be easier to install a set of Subaru brat rear jumpseats in the pick up and a camper cap. /just kidding..

Dan Stevens
1980 Turbo Diesel vanagon camper
revkenjones
Glow Plug

vanagon tranny

Post by revkenjones »

Thanks for the info, this is helpful. You say I need a Vanagon aircooled tranny to better match the TD power band -- does that mean that the Vanagon tranny is geared lower than the Jettas, or higher? I was hoping to keep my five-speed, I'll be sad to see it go. I've found a donor that is an 86 -- will that tranny be okay?
purvisgs
Glow Plug

Post by purvisgs »

these old vans still have the engine in the back, so you can't use a jetta tranny...

the aircooled is a better choice than the diesel tranny, I have a 1.6td with the diesel tranny still and the rpms start getting up there so I like to keet it under about 65...

still slow by anybody's standards, but the thing is fast compared to the 1.6na diesel

do some searches, lots of people have done this swap online, try the yahoo tdi/ turbovans groups...
good luck!
GoWestyYoungMan
Glow Plug

1.6 TD in a Westy

Post by GoWestyYoungMan »

In my experience the difference in performance makes it worth the effort . No more shifting with every little hill. I have kept the original tranny only because the whole system was working so well. If the transmission fails in the future I will then change over and I am always on the look out for a replacement in case that happens. Until then... "if it ain't broke.. don't fix it."
The switch to a five speed and/or higher (4.86) final drive is pretty much a personal thing. If your ego can't accept being the slow dude on the road, or you never really slow down when on vacation; then by all means go and blow the dollars on a 094 transmission and the associated shift linkage.
You'll be a long time making up the dollar difference in gas mileage. I can pull down 30 mpg regularly by just keeping my speed down to 55 mph and below. I avoid the Interstates and enjoy the byways. My vacation is the 'journey' not the destination.
The only physical change I needed was to lower the engine/transmission mounting brackets 1.5 inches. The air breather I picked up at the junkyard from a old Honda Accord and it fits nicely and I bronzed in a turbo oil return line to the oil pan and that's it.
I'm told that most Westy diesels croak in the U.S. of A. at about 80K because this engine was never designed for 4,000 lb. campers at Interstate speeds. Keep your rpm's down and the life will often approach that of a Jetta.
Good Luck!
David (1982 Diesel Westy with an 88 Jetta TD 1.6:)
"We Are Stardust"
1982 TD Westy the 3rd
RichMason
Glow Plug

I have a 1.6td in my 85 gas vanagon

Post by RichMason »

I bought a complete diesel van (rusted out) and a complete 84 Jetta TD to get all of the parts. Having a complete diesel van gives you access to the fuel filter setup, stock plastic fuel lines, accelerator cable and cold start cable. My intake is from a Jaguar XJ40 and the Jetta and I currently have a stock n/a diesel muffler, which necks the exhaust down from 2.3" to under 2" - too small. I used my gas tranny, which is geared well for the application. Due, I believe, to the gas transmission, the engine sits an inch or so father back than in a factory diesel requiring a simple adapter plate to join up the stock motor mounts. The best reason to use the 1.6td and a stock diesel installation is that you don't have to build up a platform in the back to clear the top of an engine. In a Westy, you are already limited in the back by the upper cabinet.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Well, I guess I'll have to crash the party. Great to find another diesel vanagon forum to post to. Looking over the past posts I recognise a couple of folks.

The 1.6TD stock is underpowered compared to many american cars. I think that it is adequate, though, for anyone used to driving vw busses. There are also a slew of upgrades that can be done to vastly increase the little 1.6 TD's ability to move. It is not too difficult to get performance out of the 1.6TD that will match or even well exceed the 2.1 waterboxer motor, while maintaining significantly better fuel economy.
The stock tranny in an '86 will work fine. With larger tires on the rear you will easily be able to keep the rpm's at below 4,000 rpm's at 75.
I was recently looking at a quantum manifold and found that it actually would locate the turbo in a much better location if the thing is flipped over. Places the turbo up high (and out of the puddles) and would make routing of intake and exhaust actually easier. It would require a slight amount of clearancing to fit with the intake manifold (10 min.).
Cheers.

Andrew
myke_w
Cetane Booster

Post by myke_w »

Libby, you say the stock tranny in an '86 will work fine.
Only if the swap vehicle is 84+ right? you cant get this tranny into a diesel vanagon can you?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You can install the later tranny into a diesel vangon but it will require additional work. The front mount will need to be altered along with the shift linkage and the standard bellhousing/input shaft swap. A DK transmission from the air-cooled vanagon will be a direct bolt in swap (after the bell housing/input shaft swap) for the 82 diesel vanagon tranny if taller gearing is the goal.

Andrew
fairport11
Glow Plug

Re: 1.6 TD into Vanagon

Post by fairport11 »

I recently replaced my 1.6td with a 1.9td. AAZ. IT was a pretty simple swap. I have gobs more power, HOWEVER. My mileage went from 33 mpg to 28. Mpg. The 1.6td is a more economical running engine. Btw, I do run a DK tranny.