HELP!! 1.6 1986 diesel problem

Moderator: Fatmobile

ktataliz
Glow Plug

HELP!! 1.6 1986 diesel problem

Post by ktataliz »

HELP!!! I'm sure someone on here might know whats up with my 1986 1.6 diesel T25 transporter.
When you're driving along the power suddenly stops and the engine cuts out, crank it over a few times and it fires up again. In a quick 2 mile journey it'll probably do this about 3 or 4 times!

On top of this its smoking loads, grey smoke thats more dieselly than oily.

it idles fine and it just doesn't seem to make any difference whether its cold or hot.

so far i've replaced the fuel line from the tank, the air filter, the fuel filter and the fuel filter housing. any ideas? it's driving me nuts.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

A guess is that your fuel stop solenoid is acting up. Check for a good solid positive connection to it. I might even run a seperate juper from the batter post for a test drive. If it still did it, I would remove the internal plunger. If the problem still existed, then that wasn't the problem. :D

Andrew
ktataliz
Glow Plug

Post by ktataliz »

thanks...... took your advice and tried these, but its still doing it!

aaarggh!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Is this something that just started happening? What is the history? Any bubbles/foam in the fuel line? When it is running okay does it smoke a lot or only when it is losing power? If only when losing power it sounds like you are sucking air into the fuel. If it smokes a lot all the time I would make sure that your rough timing (cam, pump and crank) is still in order.

Andrew