82 Diesel Rabbit... very nice & ready to roll!

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

WabbitWanker
Glow Plug

82 Diesel Rabbit... very nice & ready to roll!

Post by WabbitWanker »

1982 Diesel Rabbit. Pearlescent Snowflake white paint on the car & 9 spoke 'tarantula' style rims. New tires with 3500 miles on them all the way around. Beautiful custom paint job. Tan interior with newer seats front & rear. NON smoker vehicle.
This little 4 speed has a much stronger engine than my diesel PU or the Audi 4000 Diesel we have. Mileage has been steady for us at 52-55mpg wiht a high of 61(to Great Basin Park, 55 max and coasting downhill) and a worst of 48... wife driving in city/hwy rush hour stuff.

New rear main seal. New shocks & struts... the best performance types I could get. Have receipts as all this was done at BuggCraft(now BC Auto) in Ogden, Utah. You can call them for an opinion on the vehicle if you want. I take care of my cars & when I rebuild we use the best parts we can get. New clutch was put in with the other work. All new glow plugs & relay. Just passed Utah inspection & licensed a month ago. Had inspected earlier but didn't get around to getting it licensed & had to do it over again.

A good performer and a beautiful car for the road.

New headliner (finally) and it helps a lot.

I have photos. If you email me I will send them. This goes on eBay in a few days if I don't sell it here. $35oo here and I expect more if it goes on the auction site.

I can Deliver if needed. I am in northern Utah and will drive it to your location with you paying the fuel, food & motel on the trip. (not the ritz, but not the RoachMotel either. Figure $70 per day plus a plane ticket back to Utah) If you want to pick it up it will be fine with me.

Shock towers are fine. The engine compartment is clean. Not because we just cleaned it but we keep it that way. Much easier to take care of and leaks or problems are easier to spot and it runs better without the layers of oil & grease on the engine.

I use RedLine gear oil in the transmission. Anti freeze to 30 below. Mobil 1 5/40 SUV diesel rated motor oil. Stanadyne Performance formula used in each fill.

No rust problems and no troubles I am aware of. Air conditioning... I don't think it works. I never turned it on as it wasn't needed. Was going to get it checked but now it is 9 degrees & seems like a waste of time, so plan on getting it checked out or worked on. Heater works & fan works & the car warms up just fine.

Too many vehicles and some health issues force the sale of this guy. Not to mention I just did a show car paint job on my 82 Diesel Caddy & am doing the same to the new (to us) restoration project on the 82 diesel Audi. So, something has to go and the white Rabbit is it this time.

I was going to replace the bumpers for cosmetics but they are OK as they are... you can do it when you want.

All in all it is a good Rabbit. Clean & the paint is bright & looks like a new snowfall itself. The pearlescent really helps. It runs well & has been serviced by one of the best VW places in Utah. As I said, if you call & ask they can tell you about it and how I care for my vehicles. Ask what you want, I don't mind as the truth can only help here. It is a good one.

If you want to call do so during the day or early evening (Mountain Time) at 435.237.9811
----------------------------------------

A bit more on it:

Pearlescent white so bright it almost hurts the eyes and the tarantula wheels are painted the same color. (Spare on a tarantula wheel also, but aluminum, not painted & not as nice) Was painted last spring (door jambs & inside doors as well) & has been garaged since then.It was white before & this is brighter & really nice. Only been outside in the past month as I have been driving it. All the glass is good. Shocks I have to check the records, but the best performance models I could get. Put on by BC Auto (BuggCraft) in Ogden, Utah. It may be a diesel but I can corner with the best of them. They also did a full wheel bearing pack/check for any bad ones. All is good on that front.

All the work that has been done was with the idea it would stay here permanently.

The engine is strong & runs well. New timing belt and clutch just before the shocks. Have to get a copy of the work order from BC Auto on that also. New relay & glow plugs. It also has an engine block heater and that works just fine. New battery in it as well as new battery cables. The battery is 875 cold cranking amps at 32degrees & 700 at something with a reserve of 115.(can't quite figure that out this late at night) Anyhow, it works & works fine.

Windshield wipers work fine but the squirter doesn't. Don't know why & for now I am not going to work on that.

Had the new vacuum kit put into the vehicle at BC Auto and now the brakes are where they are supposed to be.

The clock works just fine.

Kenwood AM/FM CD player in the car with speakers front & back, installed by Sound Warehouse in Ogden, Ut. It is a nice one and sounds good... but I am missing hearing since the Army & can't really tell too well. My wife tells me it sounds nice when she adjusts it for her liking. (I play it too loud & too much treble for her ears)

Mileage is 183,000 for now.

It looks good, drives well & gets great mileage. A perfect candidate for Veggie Oil conversion or drive it as is for a long time to come.

So give me a hollar for some pictures or give me a call on the phone if you want to talk about this one. It has to go & very soon. As I said, eBay within a few days if I don't get any interest.
scrupal
Glow Plug

Rabbit available?

Post by scrupal »

I think i saw this one on ebay and lost the bid. But just in case there are to pearly white rabbits out there... is this one still available?

If not do you know of any other 81-84 diesel rabbits that run well? I am looking to do a veggie conversion.

let me know. thanks.

Sam

gallaher@jm.com