Tapping noise from my 1.6TD... and a history...

Moderator: Fatmobile

tbones
Glow Plug

Tapping noise from my 1.6TD... and a history...

Post by tbones »

hi all,

I could use some thoughts here...

I broke a timing belt at idle on my '83 vanagon with a 1.6td motor. (the alternator belt shredded, landed in the belt, and that's all she wrote)

I pulled the head, one bent valve, but the head had cracks in between the valve, so I used another td head I had around. I check the guides, adjusted the valves, installed it, 3 notch gasket, like the one I took off.
I did not use the head guides pins as the book says, but insted a few old head bolts. I also did not check piston height, but there was nothing obvious visually)

After initial torque down, and timing belt installation, I turned the motor through a couple 360's. I noted there was a tight spot, I could pull it through it without much problem, but it was odd, like maybe the headgasket slipped a little, or some piece of crap landed on the piston, and needed to blow out the exhaust when I started it it.

It cranked fine, no issues. When it stated, it ran smooth, except for a light tapping sound (kind of like a hydrolic lifter that had drained down. I ran the motor about 15 mins at idle, revved it up a smidge, tapping stayed. I tried loosening the injectors one by one, tapping didn't change...

SOOO, any one want to venture a guess?

could the timing belt break screw up a rod bearing (it didn't sound like a bad rod or crank bearing...as an old aircooled van driver I KNOW what that's like!)

thanks, Steve
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Another case of "Geeze I wish I'd put that timing belt cover back on..."? I've heard people espouse that the timing cover is unnecessary, but you are now individual number five who has messed up an engine that way (I assume). Pet Peeve of mine. Sorry for the tirade.

On the tapping noise. Is the engine a hydraulic lifter motor or solid lifter? It sounds to me like you are describing a valve tapping noise. If it is solid lifter, I would chsck the valve lash. If it is hydraulic I would check the oil pressure with a gauge. If it is good, then swap in your old cam and lifters (keeping them in order of course).

Andrew
tbones
Glow Plug

Post by tbones »

hi,

not the timing belt cover was in place... the shredded alternator belt STILL got in there! (MURPHY!)

I have machanical lifters which I just adjusted them on the bench before installing head...

any other thoughts?

thanks, Steve
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Then I'm doubly sorry for the timing cover tirade. Must be the older metal cover. The plastic one is almost airtight.

The only other thought I have is that you have a piston tapping a valve. I'd doublecheck the cam timing.

Andrew
tbones
Glow Plug

Post by tbones »

yes it's the (rusty) metal coveer...

I'll double check cam timing... is it that sensitive?... wouldn't I hear it on all cylenders? (it's only on one cyl)

thanks,
Steve
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

It's pretty sensitive. There can be slight height differences between rods/pistons. That difference might result in one tapping. The Bentley calls for equal thickness feeler gauges on either side of the bar in the cam to set it precisely at TDC. That's all I can come up with. The bottom end is very robust. I doubt that at idle you damaged it. Twice per crank rev or once?

Andrew
tbones
Glow Plug

Post by tbones »

I actually eyeballed it... I'll try the official way next, see if that helps!

thanks, Steve
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

:shock: Yeah, eyeballing the cam is probably not the best way to do it.

Andrew
tbones
Glow Plug

Post by tbones »

I moved the cam slightly, the tapping went away... :oops:

does anyone have an extra cam holder tool? (2065A) I can buy from them?

thanks Tbones
myke_w
Cetane Booster

Post by myke_w »

I think I have an extra, it's not a heavy duty one, but works for the occasional tinkerer.