Quantum TD manifold interference issue

Moderator: Fatmobile

myke_w
Cetane Booster

Quantum TD manifold interference issue

Post by myke_w »

Hi all,
If you haven't already heard my ramblings, I'm in the process of building a TD vanagon, and have all the turbo parts from a german TD vanagon. I have been considering flipping the manifold over and running the turbo up high near #1 instead of down low by #4. The obvious problem that libbypapa pointed out to me was the interefence of the exhaust manifold port castings with the intake, which as libby pointed out can be addressed by some routine clearancing. The bigger problem is that the wastegate housiing part of the hot side smacks right into the intake, and certainly wont clear. Since the exhaust side interferes, there is no way to reindex, so I am at a loss. This method is bandied about quite a bit, but I need some eveidence that it can ebe done, and suggestions on how to do it. All input is appreciated...
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You're right. I just went out and stuck the intake and quantum exhaust manifold on a spare head and yup, the wategate is a horrible interference with the intake. I am sorry if I mislead you. I thought it would work at the time. When I came up with the idea I was working on fitting a VNT turbo which does not have a wastegate, but rather a vane actuator poking in a different direction. :oops:

The only solutions I see would be to eliminate the wastegate. :twisted: or go with the stock quatum method with the turbo prcariously low, or the modified jetta mount.

Andrew
myke_w
Cetane Booster

Post by myke_w »

No problem libbypapa, Obviously I can still mount it in stock location. I noticed that the k14 I have
(I didnt even realize that was what I ordered when I got my german td vanagon setup) has fittings on inlet and return. This should make it much easier to plumb the return line because I wont have to get into the business of hacking up a return/ I should be able to get napa to make me a custom line. the only problem as you mentioned is the run..
Did dstock td vanagons have issues with return lines clogging or oil flow issues?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I don't know of any oil return issues with the stock TD vanagon.

Andrew