Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Before I get too arrogant and take credit for "Hillbilly TUNING" --

Let me say that it is a system using a lot of skills from the Dan Simoes gang. Loren and Gary Bangs and Doyt Echelberger ---- my strong point is that I know how to recognize smart people with EXPERIENCE ---on that site is a Mark Shepherd from UK ----if you need to look at a problem from a strange angle ? --he is it. -----Crazy people fix Crazy problems ----EH ? is that not the truth ? ----if you never had a crazy problem ? with a Rabbit ? EH ? now let us know ----most of us had. I dislike the VW electrics something close to HATE ---and I am an Electrical Professional.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

unless Hagar rebuilt his engines, I have trouble believing that he is getting pure clean oil in them just by doing his "hillbilly tuning". I guess it's possible if he has been doing it for a long time...in any case I want to know more about it!

If you want to know more about it ? --here it is.

When I got Bondo her oil was black as tar ---Tobys butt ? EH and the the turbo was so coked up it hardly turned.

After a year of running super lean --Turbo is clean and engine is CLEAN --and that is gospel. --Drop in and verify ---

Yes I was surpriced too. Test used ? Blotter testing.

Will provide sample pictures.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

The "Glow Plug" under your name is an indication of how many posts you have made here. After a couple dozen it changes to "Cetane Booster" and after 100 it changes to "Diesel Freak". Somewhere above that it changes to "Turbocharger".

Do you have files you want to post? Like a PDF or Word document or something?

Answer is YES. --- I can help a lot more if I can provide pictures etc.

here is my Email addres if someone will help me on postings.

I am pretty good on fixing Rabbits ---BUT on computers ? --about 10 miles on a gallon.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Like to share my experience with Rabbit diesels ---for the rest of you.---

That is what I promised ? --EH ? --I did not say I would help you FIX your Rabbit ?--eh ? --NOT that I would not --.

Thank you idhoho my literary guardian --Chucles ---for the wellcome. ------this place is FUN really.

Meeting Old friends ---gabbing about Rabbits . My experience with Rabbits ---was all a ball of FUN from day one. ---Yes I had a run away and ---end the skinned knucles and busted rusted bolts. It comes with the territory.

The pride and Pleasure you get to feel at the point where you start singing ? you know the TUNE and the words ? EH. -----NOW THAT is FUN.

Driving on Butter -Margerine,Fishoil,Shortening,Laxative OIL,----on and on and on.--Try that on a Detroit Gasser--EH ? Totally FREE fuel is all around you. --open your eyes.

Bunny Bondo is so frugal on fuel --that I drive on Columbia Fuel Highspeed diesel (Shell oil from Tar). Needs a good doze of ParoWax --to get up to my specs.-(and gets it).

More on my Rabbit Saga as time permit.

hagar.

PS: I now know where to get help POSTING --EH ? Chuckles?

Have fun Girls and Guys.
Last edited by hagar on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rabbitpower
Diesel Freak

Post by Rabbitpower »

I am going to look at a 1.9 TDI this weekend out of a wrecked late model. If I can swing the deal I am going to somehow try and shoehorn it into my 78 diesel rabbit. I am very intrigued about all of this tuning you do Hagar. I work in the aerospace industry so some of what you are talking about rings true. Keep it up!!
Current project: 1978 rabbit 4 dr sedan

Past projects: 2 pickups about 10 rabbits, 4 jettas and 2 golfs.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

" Bunny Bondo " Saga continued. :

I NEVER get tired of telling this saga---it was that much fun.. She is my # 4 Rabbit.

1984 1.6L Turbo diesel 4 doors --5 on the floor Garrett turbo ----Nice seats --nice smell --a young lady owned before me --- In my eyes Bondo is one good looking Bunny --light deep metallic blue --my favorite color.
Fancy light alloy rims -----all that for a measly 500 Kanadian dollars.

IP ? I think it is a 107AW ---it has the space ship LDA . This is my first turbo Bunny ---and was she a wild thing or what when I took possession-- book say 68 HP ---I say she was topping 100 HP. Smoked like a destroyer trying to hide.

Mileage ? I should have tested ----my guess ? about 25 miles on a gallon IMP ----After " Hillbilly TUNING " in ECO mode ? she will better 100 miles on a gallon. That is better than "Smileage" Jah ? das ist sehr gut ---my german is rusty ----.

So how did we wind up at "Smileage" ? and why ? to save money ? no way --simply for fun.---and FUN was had.

TUNING tank for fuel ? 4 x 4 litre winebottles on passenger floorboard.

Fuel flow measured very accurate ---using lab beaker.

If the IP flow is less than about 25 litres per hour at idle ---you will never get to really great Smileage.

On a rabbit the IP and the nozzles ----is where the pay dirt is---the mother lode.

This summer of 2006 my goal is to make Bondo break the 100 miles on a gallon Imp barrier. --and have it witnessed.

When you break the 70 mpg mark you will get a badge and a T shirt saying -- Hillbilly TUNER grade A.

How far can Bunny Bondo and hagar make it ? ---my guess 110.

Tire pressure ? 100 psi -----lube ? 5 weight syn. max speed ? about 50 Kmt. ---Kmh ?

No dragging brakes ---NO use of headlight ----fully charged battery out of the starting gate.

Barometer reading ? at least 30 inches of mercury.

And tons of other little tricks.---all above board --no secret tanks.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Of course --emptying those Wine bottles was part of the FUN.

I may be a glowplug ---but I am not totally stupid.

hagar.

PS : actually I am a BEER drinker----october fest type.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

How to explain the love affair --Bunny Bondo and hagar ? ---passion class A 1.

I am a flyboy ---and it looks like a lot of flyboys head for the diesel forums ---and a LOT of diesel mechanics heads for the flyboy forums.

And IMHO that is great. ----I am blessed with a sponge brain----details I learned from having a seat at the local watering hole --the heavy duty diesel mechanics table---are priceless---and I can take it with me to the diesel forum. ----cost me a lot of rounds---after work.

I strongly suggest that you read ALL in the Injection pump postings.

Here is a bit of I P gospel. :

On the 107 A 109 a -ag - aw ---and so on if internal pressure is low ---timing mechanism will NOT work to spec.

Pressure being op to spec --does NOT guarantee that roller ring will turn --it could be stuck. OK ? so more testing will be done later... using a transducer. and timing light.

At the flyboy mechanics table ---I found a goldmine of knowledge.

And mining I did.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Why is a Rabbit so important ? -----No special tools needed for those Springs on exhaust --just your hands. No special tools needed for doing springs on rear brakes ---- NO spring compressor needed --to do coils front and rear ----.
Parts from gasser and Diesel interchangeable ---? yes a LOT.

So easy and FUN to do ----say I----hagar. ----eyah I did it.

NO engine hoist needed --just lower engine --and roll body back on rear wheels. ---simple and easy.

More later.

hagar.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Hagar

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Hagar....you seem to be someone I would enjoy knowing. Plain spoken and willing to offer help to others. Just the type of person I strive to be.

I am currently replacing a tired VW diesel engine with a good used one I have on hand, in a Rabbit truck I just bought.
I had to swap out the injector pump, and will have the engine installed in the next few days.
I would very much like to know exactly how to perform this "HillBilly Tuning" on this engine.
Could you please explain it to me as best you can?
Thank you. Ron
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by lyeinyoureye »

hagar wrote:Why is a Rabbit so important ? -----No special tools needed for those Springs on exhaust --just your hands. NO engine hoist needed --just lower engine --and roll body back on rear wheels. ---simple and easy.

More later.

hagar.
That is damn slick! Just support the engine/tranny with a jack, unbolt, drop out the bottom, and lift the front over and back. Or dig a hole for the engine! :D
Now I just gotta figure out how to put on spring clips by hand... :shock:
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by tylernt »

lyeinyoureye wrote:Now I just gotta figure out how to put on spring clips by hand... :shock:
Yeah I'm still scratching my head on that one.

I also want to hear about the front struts. You could shoot a strut through your body or shatter half a dozen bones (including your skull) if you do those the wrong way.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit

Post by hagar »

After you done it ---the Hagar way -- you will wet yourself ---it is that easy.

One thing at the time ? whitch one first ? the Coilsprings in the front legs ? ---no problemo. NO spring compressor needed-----simple as apple pie I tell you ---I did it so I know.

But you can all count on me for detailed instructions.

hagar.

PS : it is so simple if you know HOW. ---EH ? .
Last edited by hagar on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I hope you guys will pass on what I tell you ----and if you want to know who I am ? no problemo.

To really tell you how nice a Rabbit is --? yes you can take a front wheel bearing apart and inspect --and reuse. I did it ---really slick procedure.

The two springs on exhaust ? takes me 2 seconds to remove --and about 4 to put back on---NO Lie. and NO tools.

The front springs ? ---they will unscew like a cork screw. ---just prey end of spring over the end ---and use a big pipewrench or strapwrench---.Bingo ---nothing to it.

I did it --so this is GOSPEL.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

OK ---Hillbilly TUNING next. (maybe?)

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.