Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Kynetx --and all : To turn the LDA servo on and off is Apple pie.

I ran vinyl tubing ---fishtank stuff --in to cab for a on off valve ---BUT if you want to be really smart --use a seperate airpressure source.

Turn off for "Smileage" on for "Hillclimbing"----it works.

I drive in ECO mode mostly. ----Do I like to have that extra POWER on tap at times ? -----this is BC Kanada.

hagar.
Kynetx
Cetane Booster

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by Kynetx »

hagar wrote:Kynetx --and all : To turn the LDA servo on and off is Apple pie.

I ran vinyl tubing ---fishtank stuff --in to cab for a on off valve ---BUT if you want to be really smart --use a seperate airpressure source.

Turn off for "Smileage" on for "Hillclimbing"----it works.

I drive in ECO mode mostly. ----Do I like to have that extra POWER on tap at times ? -----this is BC Kanada.

hagar.
Oh, ok. Sounds easy. I'll just run a tube to the seat belt bracket and blow into it when I need more power!

Actually, I could probably use the air pump from a air horn system.
1985 VW Scirocco 1.8 8V awaiting diesel powerplant
2002 Kia Specta GS 1.8l 5-sp MT 33 MPG
Paid off! w00t!
1978 Ford F-150 4WD 351M 3sp AT <10 MPG =(
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

You just need a valve. Run from the intake manifold to the cockpit, put your valve, and run the other end to the LDA. The LDA needs to see exactly how much boost the turbo is making, if you just pressurize the line to the LDA with some other source it will dump too much or too little extra fuel.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

AH ---the "LDA" ---I just love that thing. ---If any of you see a pump at the junkie with a LDA ? grab it ---- be careful not to get an altitude ajuster. it looks like it.

Yes it is handy even on a NA ...engine.

I put a " T " in the line for a gauge inch and a half diameter US inch.--------all out of the dumpster ---from a Foxboro Valve ---it had 2 gauges on it ---I use the other one for I P internal pressure . It can be monitored while driving.

A seperate supply of pressure is better ---but more complex to set up.

There are 3 adjustments on the LDA. ---real FUN to play with --when you are retired and Fuel at the corner pump is 119 cents per litre Kanadian.

"SMILEAGE" ---is in style here in the north.

Price going up ? --- hagar sez bring it on.

hagar.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

injection pump pressure

Post by Fatmobile »

How do you get a reading of the injection pump pressure.
Do you tap a fitting into the "OUT" bolt? ... then run a line to your gauge?

So for the on/off LDA you run a valve that either lets boost pressure through to the LDA or shuts it off right?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

Fatmobile --answer ? --YES --and it is very simple. I used an old intake banjo for the IP pressure gauge --0 --150 Psi.
I stacked the the two banjos with gauge banjo closest to pump. It requires a longer Bolt --simple to make. I used standard rubber fuel line . works great --simple to use.
I will be happy to answer specific questions from you ALL.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

I must say I am a bit flabbergasted with the amount of readers.

My intention was simply to tell my experience with VW Rabbits. ---say about 4 or 5 pages ? ---- spreading the GOOD news you might say ? --EH the Smileage and the simple repairs ? -EH ?.
The best layed plans of Men and Rabbits go awry.

So what am I looking at now ? --EH ? 10 pages ?.--- OK OK if I get permission from the two moderators to mix in my personal life experience with German equipment ? ---I shall try.

hagar.

PS: today 01 april 2006 --1.19 dollars per litre at the corner ? ---a JOKE ?
stopping
Diesel Freak

smiley age

Post by stopping »

These are the times when gas is going up. Most people on the forum have likey predicted this when they bought their respective mechanical hobies. Yes, we all all interested in what you know. We all want to save fuel. Incrediable what we can learn from (and teach on) the internet now, hey?
Also Hagar, I think the way the forum works is that every time you or I go to read this thread we are counted as one of the "veiws" on the main page. Correct me if I'm wrong. So, at that rate I account for about 15 of the counted but you are still fun to read.

I am interested in the fuel pressure gauge also. Does it measure the vacumn as discused, before the pump and therefore see if the vane pump is working? Is that the side of the pump you are talking about? (ie. the fuel intake banjo?)

What is your story? Did you study this work or do you know about these things just becuase your an old Dane?

I am a contractor/builder, a business where every one in it drives the largest vehicle possible. I would love to see the price of fuel skyrocket. If only to get SUV's and oversized but under-utilized trucks off the road. They are my competition after all!

Keep on hopping
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I enjoy reading your informative posts as well as the posts telling how you got to where you are. Where and what you went through to get here is good reading.
We don't always stay right on topic here and I've been known to throw in a few stories. I think it makes us a closer community and I'd rather hear a few of your stories thrown in while you are sharing your VW diesel info.
I'm here to learn (and teach) a little about the workings of the VW diesel and share some time with others that have the same interests. It isn't all about the VW diesel, it's also about our community.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

injection pump

Post by Fatmobile »

...so you put an injection pump input banjo on the output ... along with the double barbed banjo that's already there.
I was thinking that since the "OUT" bolt has a restrictor in it, you'd have to measure the pressure on the inside of the "OUT" bolt.
Instead of putting another banjo around the outside of the "OUT" bolt..
The pressure on the outside of the "OUT" bolt shouldn't be much more than atmospheric.
It seems like the injection pump pressure should be on the inside of the "OUT" bolt, before fuel flows throught he small restrictor hole in the bolt.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Fatmobile ---you got it right --- Intake banjo close to pump --Outlet ----banjo on top ---Remember ORIFICE must be used. --It is inside the OUT bolt.

It was so simple it took me all of 15 minutes to hook up. (I got a lathe).

I used a piece of thread of a metric bolt and two nuts for a splice.

Kind of nice to be able to monitor internal I P pressure and Turbo pressure --at the same time while driving. I am a flyboy so BOOST to me is manifold pressure. ---Mine runs at about 5 PSIG for normal trip to the OPERA. ---or the two crazy sisters.

I am 74 going on 18 --OK ? --and I just love those two girls. Sigrid Hawkes and Lenora Sattmann. Sigrid got a Passat (Gasser) ----

The LDA is a ball of fun. ----it is like having a flexible shaft connected to the "Full Load" stop screw. ----yes the fueling adjustment.. except better --NO need to do the IDLE adjustment. --On a NA remember --every time you touch fueling screw --you must -yes MUST do the idling adjustment.

hagar.

PS : to get familiar with the fueling screw ? --remove it completely and take a look at it --it is only a mechanical stop --nothing is hooked on to it inside the pump ---it has an O ring seal on it. . Can you get in trouble ? NOT IMHO. ---just count the turns . ---About 5 turns full range ---so it is SENSITIVE ---when TUNING ---remember ? half a pencil line ?---
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit

Post by hagar »

Well moderator Fatmobile gave me some SLACK ? eh --great.

I intended to write ---say 10 pages about hagar and his Rabbits ---all diesels.

BUT one does not play with toys or make a transportation necessity ----during hard times ----without the family ----and friends getting involved ? -EH.

To me Lorens daughter or Doyt Echelbergers son or IHOHOs boys are more important than ---a 100 Rabbits. ---make it all the Rabbits in the world

Not to forget Val Christians daughter-----and so on ? EH ?.

SO ? where do I start ? ----- a new subject ?

OK OK solution is a nice MIX of Biography and Tecknical stuff. I shall do my thing ? EH ? yeah.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Bunny Bondos --rear brakes --was a mass of rust like the other bunnies I got.

Simple ---I removed Hydraulic line and parking brake cable ---simple as Apple pie.

Then I removed the four bolts holding backplate and spindle ----the rest you would have to see to believe.

NO spring pliers NOTHING ----a DANE in there ? yes Old Blacksmith Petersen ---and his Vice-Grip.

Sandblasting and coating it all was a lot of time --hours and hours ---but brother look at it now ?.

To do a brake job now ? ---white shirt and tie---stuff.---Like working on brand new parts.

Assembling ? I use LOTS and LOTS of Never Sneeze marine grade.-----------Marine ? why ? ---Salt Salt ---No not the SALT threaty worse.

hagar.

PS : I Hate Salt----on the roads. ---on my eggs ? yeah OK --EH ?.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

hagar and poor Richard and Franklin ? --WOW ---I am honored ----but the fact is that we are Kindred Spirits ---. I am here to help the ---temporaryly --hitting pot holes in an economic ---highway.

Who ? knows better than a have not ? than one who was a have not ?----tell me ----????? I was on both ends of that ---both sides of that equation ? ---I like it where I am.

And I aint going back. ----read my lips.

hagar.

PS : but have fun with your Rabbits. ----whatever.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

So much for 4 or 5 pages ----?.

Us flyboys talk a lot about the " ENVELOPE " --? so when we write a post it is hard to stay inside.---Especially for guys like hagar. --BUT everything I write is connected to VW Diesels. --one way or the other.

IMHO the Pacific Highway and the Rabbits are ----made for each other.

I have driven the "Autobahn" ---yes ? --boring --absolutely BORING.

I have driven Interstate 5 (I 5) ---yes ? --boring absolutely BORING.

I am retired ---now --so it is 101 all the time. ---Baywatch is not on I 5 ? --EH ?.

More technical stuff next time.

hagar.