Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

AD-100 is a ESSO Aviation Oil piston job stuff.---means ASHLESS --dispersant.----I used it solely to lubricate IP and Injectors----as a bonus it is perfect feed for a Rabbit.
It does not do much to Smileage ----the smileage for Bunny Bondo , comes from running --SUPER LEAN -- to understand --mixture must be understood. --I am an OLD flyboy ----look up how Lucky Lindy --got so much smileage out of AC's ----there is part of the answer.
Bunny Bondo takes advantage of the "Vortex" cumbustion --principles.

She is operated in ECO mode to get the 100 MPG smileage. She still has the LDA ---and if needed I just flick a switch---BINGO max power.---and LOTS of smoke---I never use it. (not so far).

SUPER lean is part of the answer. Complete combustion --NO soot lube stays clean. ---And that is with a Walleymart ---FRAM extra guard PH3569--Honeywell job. and Walleymart 15-40 Tech 2000 oil.--works fine for me.

NO turbo ? Bunny Bondo got a Garrett --nice piece of design---a 100 MPG would be hard to get to without a turbo ---that is where the extra Vortex and Oxygen comes from.

I am a Glowplug ? ---OK at least I am not a "Dipstick" ? EH ?.

hagar.

PS : why did I add AD-100 ? oil (sae 50) to get rid of the stuff.--I had cases and cases --of stale dated Aviation oil in the shed.
By some strange coinsidence it started " HILLBILLY TUNING " ----that Saga coming.
Last edited by hagar on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Ha!

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Ha! I think I'm going to like this guy.
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
greenskeeper
Glow Plug

Post by greenskeeper »

I could see 100mpg (imperial gallons) idling along in top gear doing maybe 30mph but where could you do this and not get run over or shot on a public roadway?

My TDI (older lighter A3 model) gets 53-55mpg (USA gallons) at highways speeds and that's with a lot of mods including a taller 5th gear.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

A3?

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Aren't A1's a lot lighter than ANY A3???? Just my $.02
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I'm still going with leaned out turbodiesel in rabbit body.
The jettas with the ecodiesel (leaned out TD from factory) weighed in at ~2500lbs and probably had an AWY transmission. An 80's rabbit weighs in at around ~2000lbs and has a GP or GY tranny.
At @55mph the Jetta will spin at ~2900rpm.
At @55mph the rabbit will spin at ~2200rpm(GP) or ~2400rpm(GY).
So, with 500lbs more, and spinning at a higher rpm, these cars both got ~ the same mileage, this implies the ecodiesel is much more efficient than a NA.

Now if you have an ecodiesel in with a GP rabbit tranny, it's going to consume ~25% (2200/2900) less fuel at the same speed... and from personal experience, if the highest I've gotten with a 81 NA rabbit is 66mpIg, with an ecodiesel engine and my transmission I should get 25% greater fuel economy, which is ~83mpIg @ 45-50mph highway. :shock:
A leaned out TD may be even more efficient. Who knows, except for hagar. ;)

Which, leaves me wondering where the other 17mpIg are coming from, where's this ~20% additional increase in efficiency come from? Well, the rabbit is 20% lighter than the jetta, so that would help, but at hgihway speeds that's not going to be all 20% right there.
We can probably get that increased efficiency by altering the turbodiesel's LDA, maybe it's possible to go leaner than the ecodiesel and get even greater efficiency? And we haven't even gone into messing with the injectors, which from what I've read, Hagar has done. And I've also read someplace that the injectors were designed to minimize pollutants, so there's probably a way to tune for maximum spray with respect to efficiency.

Anyway, I think it's possible to get 100mpIg with the right combination of vw parts and tuning. I suppose I'm being led by my optimism, but there's only one way to find out. :D
I'll post some of Hagar's messages from the forums he was on in a bit, gotta reinstall my system.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

lyeinyoureye wrote:Which, leaves me wondering where the other 17mpIg are coming from, where's this ~20% additional increase in efficiency come from?
Wax the car and run 155/80 tires with a 400 wear rating at 40PSI. :P
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit

Post by hagar »

100 MPG Imp gallon ? the maximum possible ? --not at all --remember Rutans Quickie ? 100 MPG Imp---no problem at all ---.

Look up maximum for a LUPO ---it is possible.

BUT there is a back side to the coin. ---"Bunny Bondo" TUNED for 100 MPG? ----a LOT of shifting gears.

70 miles on a gallon IMP ? gives nice performance --BUT no burning of rubber ---boost is sitting at 5psig.

Tranney is a 5 on the floor 7A 23113 ----NO bovine stuff or secret tanks ---what would be my motive ?

The VW 1.6L turbo 1984 use a swirlchamber (think vortex) BOSCH translators call it a whirlchamber at times ---but you get the drift.

LOTS of vortex makes for a CLEAN burn. ---leading to NO soot in lube.

And here you thaught that BLACK as Tobys butt was the norm ?

Well it is ---but need not be.

When I first saw the Smileage from Bondo ---I did not believe my eyes---so I kept testing---and it got better and better the more I TUNED.

TIMING will not do it. By the way I use 1.5L nozzles-- 193. set at max pressure. according to Bentley. (brand new ones). get NEW nozzles-OK ?

hagar.

PS: aside from soot reduction ---the cylinder max pressure is lowered --saving head problems. ---NEVER lug a VW --use lots of RPM.
Last edited by hagar on Wed May 24, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I am an OLD Dane --- and this thing has no spell checker --so use your head.

Why did I fall in love with the VW Rabbit diesels ? ---the performance --the handling --the looks ---the easy as apple pie repairs.
If you have troubles fixing ? --you are NOT doing it the best way.

But back to the SMILEAGE. -----what does hagar know that lots of you need to know ---DA PUMP ---that is right .---LOTS of you get bad mileage--because your pump is not working right. --Can hagar tell you how to fix it ? ---he thinks so. It is a God send for a serious DIY type.
The VW diesel 1977 started out with a BOSCH 107A pump --and it is like a Rolex Oyster -----NOT a Timex ---take my word.
Properly lubricated they go and go and GO. ---Bad fuel ? three steps and they die. -----All the BOSCH 107 109 and so on are very much alike ----so all you have to do is TUNE each one. ----My advice to you all is to buy a book by Bosch --called Diesel Engine Management . And study. That is if you are a serious DIY like me.

hagar
Last edited by hagar on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

The Rabbit, although short lived, gave a new start for Volkswagen. The Rabbit is still sought after all over the U.S., it just goes to show you a good Volkswagen never dies

Amen .

hagar.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Nozzles

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

1.5 nozzles huh? I just happen to have 4!
Keep going Hagar. I like good milage and Love my Rabbits.
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Yes I will help you get your Rabbit going like "Bunny Bondo" ------BUT lets start at DO RE ME-FA-LA-BI-SO-DO---that is the Danish version.

MIXTURE ? you MUST understand mixture. -----it takes about 11 pounds of air to burn 1 pound of fuel --give and take.

What exactly does "Super Lean" mean? ----simple --LOTS of air little fuel.

VW sneaked by the California law ---using the ECO---- ECO is a VW turbo diesel --without the LDA. ---and a Cat in the tail pipe.

Bunny Bondo is running in ECO mode --most times. Try it and you will never go back ---it works ---read my lips. ---OR sniff my tailpipe.

Ask Andrew in Flagstaff ----he knows what I am talking about.

CNN right now ? --talking about PAIN at the pump.-----not at 101 -----NO pain here. ---- With a Rabbit ? pain at the pump ? NEVER.

Not if you got it " Hillbilly TUNED " ----- USA high price at the pump ? nonsense --it should be 3 dollars minimum a gallon.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

LDA

Post by surfcam »

You have my attention now but what is LDA? Also do think an inter cooler would do anything for economy. I've also heard that there are low resistance tires might be able to add another 5%. I do get out to your neck to the woods visiting the outlaws in Parksville. I would be interested in trying to make your information available to the members. It looks like the windsurfing and scenery would be spectacular. I've never been to Powell River but it's always been on the want to do list. My kids have confirmed that I'm also in the geezer stage as well.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

The " LDA " is the thingy on the Turbo diesels ---it is an Airpressure servo motor --increasing the fueling according to manifold pressure.

It regulates the fuel according to Manifold pressure----it works like the fueling screw ---more pressure more fuel. ----the control collar in the pump ---moves to give more or less fuel in accordance with ---manifold pressure.----I will give details on request.

There are a number of adjustments possible on the "LDA" ----sometimes called a smoke adjustment .

It works much like the fueling screw ----"Full Load" stop ---- turn it in ---more fuel -----and SMOKE.

More on this later.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I wanna know how my Rabbit can get 100MPG

OK here we go ----first we TUNE it for 70 miles on a gallon IMP.

See the guy getting 31 miles ? - (amerikan?) I bet his lube gives a Tobys butt every test.

All that follows is part of " Hillbilly TUNING " .

Test # 1 . IP flowtest. ----Run drainline in to a picle jar and measure at Idle. ----why ? because the out banjo has a orifice installed in the bolt.
As you know flow will give a direct reading of IP internal pressure.

If pressure is LOW the flow is LOW. --Then the timing system will not work correctly. I ran Bunny Bondos long enough to fill a litre bottle --using a stopwatch.

Pressure in pump MUST be 43.5 Psi at 1000 RPM engine ---more on this next time.

Timing piston is located crossways at bottom of pump . At rest it is closest to the block. Design movement about 12 degrees --giving an advance of 24 degrees on crank.

Pressure at 2000 Rpm -about 75.4 Psi.

Timing piston about 1 inch amerikan --very strong coilspring for return.

I shall post a good reading for flow later ---got to find it first --EH ?

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

So, with 500lbs more, and spinning at a higher rpm, these cars both got ~ the same mileage, this implies the ecodiesel is much more efficient than a NA.

Yes the ECO is way more efficient than the NA ---say I.

The turbo makes the difference.

hagar.