Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

avocado
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Post by avocado »

hagar wrote:avocado is taking a Van 3000 miles , he better make it.. The 1983 1.6L Turbo is a good engine. . the 1.9L turbo ? , I have no experience with those. We have guys in this forum who has.
hagar,

I've done lots of cross country trips in buses with 1584 cc air-cooled engines, some with excessive endplay or loose heads (too many rebuilds...the studs kept pulling out of the block), so I know how to nurse it when necessary. Hopefully I won't have too, but I've certainly taken the RPM NOT TORQUE sermon to heart.

We'll see how many miles I get under my belt...I'll keep you posted...
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

SAGA L lets face it "slowbirds" has been of great help during my illness'. I am grateful.

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar

Nothing better than sitting next to a fire drinking beer. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Have a camp on an island in the middle of a lake, have a big fire pit there for just occasions like that.

Ice is out of the lake and the dock is in so its time to drain all the old junky ethanol fuel from my tank and fire up the Evinrude. Hope you're doing well, keep on fighting.

Colby
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Let me spread a little "Sunshine" on your parade if you have 1.5 L NA. coke say JUNK and he is right if we compare it to a 1.6 L Turbo. However the head bolts will provide plenty of clamping pressure "IF we forget the Bentley". It requires a re-useable VC gasket..

I asked Val about what he thought , he had a 77 right out of the show--room. . I will report what he said.. I think it is a fine little engine.. when operated properly say Tuned to about 36 HP . And no torque used when driving , they will turn about 10 000 to get some power up hills.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

About 55K passion filled miles running to visit wife-to-be at Virginia Tech. The engine was 48 hp. Effectively about 45 to the transmission, and about 38 to the wheels. (Not exact) but about 3500 RPM at 55 MPH. Four speed only that year. PITA was valve shims. Head bolts worked fine. I did overtorque them, and I also greased or neversiezed them. Still have old ones around as loose hardware/pins/etc.

Got between 52 and 56 MPG for the driving I did. Sometimes 60 MPG. But speed limits were 55 then. No cruise. I did buy an AC, which I never got to put in. Still have all the parts. (such a deal).

See ! Val agree it was a fine engine . I forgot he had a collission at 55 K I hagar is writing this, cokes redemption is the fact that the 1.6 L Turbo is way way way better.I never touch the 1.5 L anymore ,it is a waste of time.

hagar.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Good to hear your input again, hagar; I'll admit to always looking forward to your great insights and keen sense of 'hillbilly tuning'.

"Yay" for the VW 1.5n.a., for its time, at least. Nothing we could do to our '77 "Bronze Edition" (stripped-down model!) Rabbit would get below 52mpg on the many SoCal-to-Las Vegas/Mammoth/Lake Tahoe/B.C. road trips it took us on. 4 passengers, 6 pairs of skis on the roof rack, snow, ice, tire chains up front, gravel roads, even cruising at 70mph... always returned that fuel 52mpg figure or better, even up to 60+ mpg a couple of times. When the '77 got terminally-squished on the I-10 freeway, between an overloaded Chevy van and a Ford F350's big commercial bumper, the 1.5n.a. came out to re-power our (500 lb heavier, but still a 4-speed!) '79 Dasher sedan, and it regularly continued to give 52-58+mpg under a similarly wide range of road & load conditions.

The torque characteristics supported by the 1.6's slight increase in stroke are really nice, but it's never yet matched the absolute fuel efficiency of that zippy little 1.5L. That makes me wonder what a slightly-modified 1.5L with turbo & intercooler could do in a lightweight aerodynamic kit car. OTOH except for a specialized ultralight build like that, I'm with hagar on consigning the 1.5 to its historical perspective.
J.R.
SoCal
deezeru
Glow Plug

Post by deezeru »

Greetings from Japan hagar, I just finished reading the Saga after squeezing in a reading between shifts and classes over the past two weeks (I teach English here, am American)
I got acquainted with diesels through Yanmar, a superb (75hp and under) engine manufacturer (under the hoods of many a John Deere) as a recruiter for their hiring needs in the U.S. (applications engineers needed to meet tier 4 regulations for compact tractor models U.S. market)
I ask one piece of advice....not technical, but career-wise.

I am contemplating a return to the U.S. with my Japanese wife back to my native Tennessee. I want to enroll in the diesel engine power course at a TN technical center to earn a diploma in diesel mechanics.
Here is the hitch, I am 37, and did not the have the opportunity to grow up around mechanically minded people (child of two school teachers) and feel I am a bit behind the curve and have been learning on my own only through books, no hands on. I don't even own a car here, couldn't afford even to park it! (Osaka parking is about 300bucks a month)

From my perspective as a former head-hunter/recruiter for Japanese automotive and especially diesel engine manufacturers, I truly believe that America can benefit from greater use of efficient diesel engines in passenger cars as you have shown with Bunny and Ugly Duckling.

Question, to you and others on the forum, where is the best place to get this diesel certification/diploma? I want to work on VW/Japanese/BMW/Mercedes/other diesel passenger car in the future. It is my quest.

Any thoughts from you or your torch bearers are greatly welcomed, hope I can stretch your post's envelope just a little more with my request. Sincerely, Erik
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

M"

explanation ? We spray fuel in intake. . My advice ? stay with 5000 .

coke , I hope I did not insult you ?

hagar

PS : $ 5 per gallon in amerika, ? a lot of Rabbits will be given another look. EH ?

10 000 with a 5K governor ? yes we spray diesel in intake .
Last edited by hagar on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

Erik (in Japan) you are doing it right . I shall try to help more later . (if possible).

hagar. .
mogwopjr
Glow Plug

Post by mogwopjr »

Hagar et all, Thank you for letting me join in the conversation.

I think that this is as good a place as any to say thanks and introductions. I've had an '82 caddy sitting for a couple of years and about 6 months ago decided to get it running. It runs great even with all the problems :)

This is the first tank with Parowax and all the smoke has stopped. Boy is that stuff a miracle drug for the bunnies! She's got alot of pressure in the coolant tank but thats a story for another day. Tuning will commence soon.

I remember finding the Junkers diesel engine diagrams a few years ago, I loved the idea and its even better to hear directly from you about them. There few people with that kind of first hand knowledge and I value your tales and experience. Thank you again for sharing!

p.s. as a wannabe flyboy, I'm envious of your aerial travels. I can not afford to feed the aircraft anymore but my thoughts are up there. I'm stuck beeing a dust-eater for a while.
deezeru
Glow Plug

Post by deezeru »

Thanks hagar! I have a book "Diesel Technology" I am studying currently and from your teachings I "wishlisted" Bosch's "Diesel Engine Management" on Amazon and will order after I finish this book.
You have shown how empowering mastering the quirkiness of these fine automobiles can be. I want to provide people the joy of owning a vehicle that can rack up 100's of thousands of miles while delivering top shelf fuel economy utilizing techniques based upon principles of science that the layman can wrap their head around (as you have shown). That is empowerment.

Big oil and the auto industry despise these engines and are doing all they can to prevent their comeback.

You say that a VW diesel helped you get back on your feet after the IRS cleaned out your accounts. This is the type of car that America needs but unfortunately may never get.

I realize you are struggling, I know I am not alone when I say I am grateful for all you have shared.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

Erik in Japan, There are lots and lots of career opportunities in "SMALL high speed diesels in Amerikaa.. My thoughts are with you.

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
deezeru
Glow Plug

Post by deezeru »

I'm gonna go for it, thanks hagar
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

SAGA : hagars Amerikan lament. (I loved that country so much).

It was the best of times ,it was the worst of times.. It was times of JOY , it was times of TEARS.

1953 was a banner year , 2011 NOT. worts and all I love Amerika and Kanada.

Diesel ? here is a GOOD tip increse the power, is not possible without lowering reliability..
Think PEAK CYLINDER pressure.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

SAGA : a couple of difficult questions to make you think. (deep thought).

how well does a VW diesel rate for "Specific Fuel cncumption ? "

One at a time please , where is Mark Shepherd ,? now that we need him.

answer in due time.

hagar.

Answer very poor.