Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

Fatmobile where do I look for your PM ?

here is my phone 604 485 4105 .

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

To check for PMs (Personal Messages) click on the "You have one/two/three? new message/s" link. It's a couple inches below "VWDieselParts.com" on the upper right section of the web page. "FAQ", "Search", and "Memberlist" are right above it, "Profile" is next to it on the left.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Profanity --?????.

I said " Old guy " ?? the first diesel I remember was hanging on the bottom of the " Hindenburg "----can you top that ?.

Old Rabbit ??? 1984 ---ok I know some of you have 1977 Rabbits like Val Christian. (my oldest is 1980).

Both happy ??? ---bet your a---butts. Bunny Bondo is happy ---because she is TUNED to near perfection. Why ? is she in TUNE ? --because the TUNER is happy TUNING. ----it was NEVER a chore.

I consider it a blessing to be born in the " Diesel Capital " of the world .
København.

What did I learn there ? --that TOLERANCE ---is a very important ingredient of "Happiness". --I learned to respect and tolerate --all kinds of people ---and NOT to get too worried about the F-WORD generation.
Lets face it they are here to stay. ----for a while.

So your georgeous 14 year old daughter ---say "F" this and that ? so what ?

Am I upset because my "Mary-Ann" --say "F" this and that ?? NOT one Iota.---My love for her is rock solid --- I am her steph dad ---and that is more of a challenge than TUNING a diesel.

If the TUNER is happy -- the TUNED will be happy ? dont you think ?

To be pretending not to know "F" words ` is hypocritical.

hagar.

PS : keep fuddle duddle TUNING. and I shall edit all offensive words out of my postings.
Last edited by hagar on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I was to explain " Hillbilly TUNING " ? ----BUT Clips first.

Think ? what happens if you tilt downpipe towards a CLIP ? it goes SLACK ? EH ? Remove it ---- then tilt pipe the other way ---BINGO --nothing to it. -EH ?

If you have problems ? phone 604 -485 -4105. ---hagar.

Hagar.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

exhaust clips

Post by Fatmobile »

Jake mentioned that he could install those exhaust clamps by hand.
By leaning the downpipe one way, putting one on, then leaning it the other way and slipping the other on.
I haven't tried this on a stock exhaust pipe yet.
I did try it with my custom 2.5" exhaust on my Golf and couldn't do it but that could be because of how I built things.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

hagars exhaust " Clip Art " ??? is origional . "Jake" the kid ? are you talking about Lorens friend "Jake" ? ----yeah one smart kid. So it is NO surprice to to me if he came up with the same trick.

Here is a bit more "Hillbilly TUNING"-------- :

"TUNING" ? or "TIMING" ? -----my understanding of timing is this ---use a tool like a Dial Indicator and set to a NUMBER.

My understanding of the WORD TUNING ? ----it is an adjustment to get a certain -----performance.

"Bunny Bondy" the sweet girl is TUNED for CLEAN complete CUMBUSTION ---not maximum POWER or maximum "SMILEAGE".

So ? where do you start on TUNING ?---simple you do not need a Dial Indicator ----just line up ALL the TIMING marks --lock the cam in place
---Be accurate ---on the marks ---# 1 piston TDC --flywheel at TDC ---I P on the mark . ---start her up and OBSERVE and I mean listen and FEEL and smell ---On an Old Rabbit --- Remember this is with cold start lever set according to your Bentley.
And you likely will have to advance pump to get rid of smoke.

Got to take Bondo shopping --so more tomorrow.

hagar.

PS : Blotter testing is a MUST.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Hagar

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Yes, Right now I have this engine installed (a Diesel Rabbit pickup I recently bought last weekend, with a bad engine) and set it just as you described above.....all "on the marks". No smoke. At least not idling and revving in the driveway. I may take it up the road tomorrow.
By the way, I did one the clips with my hands,by tilting the pipe. I used an inverted muffler clamp to install the second. I do believe I could have done both by hand had I disconnected the rubber hangers from the exhaust system,as you described.
Blotter testing.....? What's that?
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

What is blotter testing ? -----well thre are many versions --here is hagars :

To keep an eye on the performance of your Rabbit ----penny for penny this system got them ALL beat.

MobilExxon has a free teck line ---ask them . More than 20 years and thousands of tests --? ---I am a convert. ----

Use a piece of IBM printer paper --place a drop of fluid to test and let it dry.

Then place a strong light behind paper ---and what you see is a very accurate picture of ---condition of equipment ---Tranney Oil ,Brake Fluid or Engine Lube OIl.--and on and on.

Who invented this test ? --I do not know --I got it from ESSO more than 20 years ago.

Send a sample of lube to a lab ? IMHO stupid ---waste of money ---if we talk Rabbit .

I will post pictures of Bondos lube test if it can be posted like the I P pictures --on the I P Postings.

Does she perform ? --bet your butts does Oil stay CLEAN ? NOT like Tar ? --after 263 000 Km and no rebuilt ? --- yes.

In other words ---if your bunny turns in 60 MPG Imp and Oil stay clean--that is fine Hillbilly TUNING.

You really should study the I P a bit----Adjustments under TUNING are minute --like half a pencil line or smaller ? Control collar only moves about 1-8 of an inch Amerikan from maximum to Minimum ---fuel.

There is only one control of fuel for combustion --and that is the Control Collar.---get used to it.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

" Bunny Bondo" ? ---WOW --- 05 mar 2003 --- 251827.7 on the clock.--
A bag of bones a DONOR sitting behind River City Motors---all - lonely and forlorn .

Look at her now ? EH --- after hagar gave her Mouth to Mouth --and TLC --- --for a while.
She can dance at the Berlin Opera with the best.---She can glide down the Autobahn --so smoooooooth ---NO Porche or Rolls or MB ---compares Mark for Mark ---period.---Make that a EURO.

She is a contender for " Queen of Wolfburg " IMHO.

Now you know how much I like Diesel Rabbits. ----- it is sort of like a love affair--- --EH ? Love is temporary insanity ---except with diesels it is more like permanent. EH ?.

If you have a Rabbit ---that handles like a NEW one ? how can you not like the handling ? EH ? --like a sportscar ---easy to park ---- My only regret ? --I never got to drive a brand new one.

More on this love affair ---on the way.

hagar.

PS : today 26 mar 2006 ---Bondo has about 263 000 km on clock and happy as anything.

Have FUN.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Can BOSCH injector pressure be set by FEEL ? you bet.

I did it so it is GOSPEL -----sort of.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

To verify that all 4 glowplugs are working ---- takes me about 5 seconds --- NO need to disconnect anything.

So simple when you know HOW ?--EH ?.

hagar.
Kynetx
Cetane Booster

Post by Kynetx »

Hagar - I am glad to see you here. I've spent a few period of my life poring thru the vwdiesel mailing list. This is a far better format since you can easily search for posts on specific topics. Maybe someone can compile a list of Hagar's wise sayings. Sort of a Poor Richard's Almanac for diesel nuts.

I don't have a diesel right now but I am scouring the internet for someone to sell me a powertrain to put in my Scirocco. At some point you must tell us how you rigged your switchable LDA.
1985 VW Scirocco 1.8 8V awaiting diesel powerplant
2002 Kia Specta GS 1.8l 5-sp MT 33 MPG
Paid off! w00t!
1978 Ford F-150 4WD 351M 3sp AT <10 MPG =(
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

Kynetx ? Yes I am doing my best to compile a checklist for NEWBIES to Rabbit Diesels.

I still remember the first Rabbit ---WOW --when that baby ran away on me ? --that was instant education.---- Now I now what to do but then ? ----- I just sat there laughfing --for 300 dollars Kanadian ? me worry ?
I tossed the key out the window ---as soon as I got her stopped----A 1.5L VW Rabbit diesel was so finely balanced that she sounded like a TURBINE.-------smooooooooooooooooth say I.
I like runaway Rabbit Sagas or tales ?.

hagar.

PS : as you know I am just a nice Rabbit run north of you ? --EH ?.
Last edited by hagar on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kynetx
Cetane Booster

Post by Kynetx »

Did I read you right earlier? You could turn off your LDA (al la ECO) for economy and turn it on for more power?
I'm collecting parts to build my dream powerplant and adjustable boost pressure and a switchable/adjustable LDA would give me a fuelling solution to having the best of both worlds... fuelling-wise anyway.

I was reading about a self-adjusting cam gear that used weights to change the cam advance/retard. Didn't sound very reliable though.
1985 VW Scirocco 1.8 8V awaiting diesel powerplant
2002 Kia Specta GS 1.8l 5-sp MT 33 MPG
Paid off! w00t!
1978 Ford F-150 4WD 351M 3sp AT <10 MPG =(
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Kynetx wrote:I was reading about a self-adjusting cam gear that used weights to change the cam advance/retard. Didn't sound very reliable though.
Probably not such a hot idea on these diesels. They are extreme interference engines, a little too much advance/retard on the cam and your pistons will smack into your valves.