Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Post by Quantum-man »

hagar wrote:SAGA : a couple of difficult questions to make you think. (deep thought).

how well does a VW diesel rate for "Specific Fuel cncumption ? "

One at a time please , where is Mark Shepherd ,? now that we need him.

answer in due time.

hagar.

Answer very poor.
Greetings

I think you have tio qualify that statement.

In reference to the latest TDI stuff Audi VW big cars do well amongst their peers.

Looking at our 1.5/1.6 stuff, certainly amongst it's opposition of the day, the cars did pretty well. Citroen did a great engine in it's AX, a 1.4 n/a. My fathers did over 70mpg regularly and 80+ occasionally.Turbo'd would have been interesting. However being all aluminium, could be tempermental.

Later became cast iron block in the upsized 1.5. The AX was an exceedingly light car, even though 5 door, and perhaps 20% lighter than a Rabbit!

Right now my car, being nearly 1.5 to 2X the weight is doing around 50mpg in pure town, and I'm yet to do a run that wasn't either towing a trailer, or carrying wood on the roof, but I anticipate 60+mpg; 56mpg is a recent high last month.

If I put the 1.6TD into a similar car to an AX perhaps even a mk1 VW Polo,[Audi 50??] I don't doubt over 70mpg attainable, so it would appear that I don't agree with you. :mrgreen:

I'd like to see if the TDI engines will run after 28 years
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

Re: B&W Double Acting 2 Cycle @ Diesel House, Copenhagen

this is the engine I mentioned in the "SAGA" it is the pride of Copenhagen since 1932 .
I never saw it run (here is thext best thing)

hagar.

Mark it ws a puzzle ,and you are our man.
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

hmmm... deep thought ... = 42 (any limey should know that one ) :)

many recent cars claim 50MPG or better on the highway.. the 1.6 got those numbers over 30 years ago ... and are still on the road today (how many of today's cars will be able to say the same in 30 years time?)

The old MK2's are still holding up well...I have 3 in storage waiting for their return to the sun. They were to be used to build a stretched Jetta, but old age caught up with me. :cry:
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I'd like to see if the TDI engines will run after 28 years
My bet is on the AHU TDI which is the same block as the 1.6. It would be niece to know if in fact they are identical? Running 18 to 1 compression should be easier on the engine. The down side is all the power and torque under foot that a person can't help but use. That's what would kill it sooner. If one was to baby it I think it should last longer. I read on another message board where a Brit through a AZZ pump on one and it ran quite well. He had to advance the pump a bit and bot some lower cracking pressure injectors. He's claiming its a little slower off the start but with a higher top end. He claimed the mileage was very similar. I think a build like this would should be quite economical to run by bypassing the stealships and electronics.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

There's another thing in favor of the AHU two stage injectors. This gets rid of most of the diesel knock. That can't be a good thing for the 1.6. Getting the pistons driven down the wrong way. AHU's are starting to show up at pick and pull with broken timing belts so it shouldn't be to long before I have one.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

SAGA : yes a two stage nozzle does wonders to reduce the "Marbles" in size..

The Mk. I has a special nozzle , that does the same thing, , the geometry of the pintle is modified,

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Mon May 23, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

We had contacts back in the late 1970s-early 80s whose 1.5NA engines with aftermarket turbo setups were seeing 72-75+ mpg (Yankee cheater gallons!) on the highway, in the lightweight '77-'79 Rabbits. Of course they were all just 4-speeds, so no help from deeper overdrive 5th gears, but that's still 90+ miles per UK gallon, over 30 years ago.

OTOH today's VW diesels sure are cleaner with respect to particulates as well as NOx. The next couple of years should prove interesting for VW mileage seekers, at least those willing & able enough to shake loose the shekels to attain ownership. Personally, I'll still be keeping/driving my '80s Dashers... more fun to experiment!

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/17/vw ... class-mpg/

http://www.plugincars.com/volkswagen-xl ... 06721.html
J.R.
SoCal
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

freinds ; I am still alive ,,,, BUT just barely.

hagar

PS :Happy is fading.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

hagar wrote:freinds ; I am still alive ,,,, BUT just barely.

hagar

Your friends are thinking of you hagar...
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

thars diesel in them thar veins.......
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

tripseven wrote:
hagar wrote:freinds ; I am still alive ,,,, BUT just barely.

hagar

Your friends are thinking of you hagar...
X2, and absolutely wishing you more "Happy".
J.R.
SoCal
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

hagar -

You'll be happy to know that I finally know what "marbles on a plate" sound like!

I took my bus for a spin on Tuesday and when I hit 1800-2400 rpm I heard this rumbling... It wasn't until halfway through my trip that the light bulb turned on and I said "Oh! It's the marbles!"

Still haven't started hillbilly tuning: still working through electrical gremlins, but I'm ready to find a banjo fitting to test my IP internal pressure, and start the tuning process.

thinking of you...

Cheers,
Avo
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
Nevadan
Cetane Booster

Post by Nevadan »

Hagar,

I've read up through page 95 and must say my understanding of diesel's has increased significantly. I bought my '85 1.6 TD Jetta in November 2010 and have tuned and adjusted using your "I do it this way" advice since then. I'm up to 40mpg and I drive 75mph on a 200 mile commute once or twice a week. I have not rebuilt the motor or refurbished the head (other than new valve stem seals, valve adjustment, timing belt and rebuilt injectors with 293 nozzles. And changing the camshaft timing because someone had it in the wrong position); I've only adjusted the timing, used Shell Aviation oil 100 and wax in the fuel. The wax is the BEST thing for this old engine. It runs much quiter, I know the advance is working and I'm guessing the oil and wax are cleaning carbon out of the rings, combustion chamber, pre-chamber etc. The engine continues to run better and it just sounds better!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Because of you I purchased another 1.6TD in another '85 Jetta and just pulled it to perform a refurbish (rebuild if necessary) so I have a back-up engine. I removed every single part from the car and learned alot about German engineering in the process. These are GREAT little cars.

J.D.
1985 Jetta 1.6 TD
1981 Caddy (getting a 1.6TD)
1987 Quantum Syncro Wagon, converted to 2.0 TD August 2020
1986 Passat TDI
2006 Touareg V10 TDI
1996 CHevy 6.5 TD
vixentd
Cetane Booster

Post by vixentd »

Has anyone heard or contacted Hagar to see how he is doing? Thank
If it doesn't rattle it isnt a diesel! 35mpg for a motorhome! 106 mph! www.vixenrv.org
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've been wondering the same thing. I did look this past weekend to see when the last time he logged in. He was online over the weekend.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count