New Vanagon owner - I need help with dipstick

Moderator: Fatmobile

westveld
Glow Plug

New Vanagon owner - I need help with dipstick

Post by westveld »

We came to own an '83 Vanagon Diesel (w/ 5-speed) - it was all disassembled when we got it - so we're trying to put it together without having taken it apart. Fun!

Anyway - can someone post or e-mail a picture of where the dipstick goes? I believe we have the correct dipstick & tube - but the engine is not an origional vanagon engine - so the block part may not be correct. Also - same question - but about the alternator mount - anyone have a picture that shows how it looks?

We may not have the correct brackets...

Thanks all,

Matt
stopping
Diesel Freak

engines

Post by stopping »

For me to be able to help you I would first need you to ID your motor.
Libbypapa says there is another dipstick post '82 that goes from the licence plate, over the top of the engine and down 90deg to the top and centre of the oil pan. Mine ('82...org. 1.6naD)is mounted at the (engine) front and rises diagonally to the Lic. plate. I have no pictures yet.

The next thing you need to do is invest in a Bentley service manual.
It will detail most of your questions about assembly. Btw don't use an impact gun to assemble it only over tightens/ It is very important to torque with the correct force (as described in the Bentley)

Steve
westveld
Glow Plug

Post by westveld »

Here is what we're working with:

The engine might not be a vanagon motor - so I'm not sure if the oil pickup tube is proper. The long vanagon dipstick doesn't seem to fit inside it well, but is too small to fit directly to the block.

Also - is this the proper (black) alernator bracket? We've had to bend the other (where the tightener teeth are) bracket to make that work - maybe.

Have the Bentley - brilliant book. Doesn't happen to show enough detail for us on these 2 items, it seems.

No impact? How am I supposed to get those oil pan and valve cover bolts ight!? :roll:

Thanks!
stopping
Diesel Freak

dipstick

Post by stopping »

That looks like the right thing. Strange it would not be more obvious how to set it to the right depth.

I don't kow how to do this. That is the dip stick I need to get a some point, so therefore it is not the one I have. According to Flagstaf Andrew the 83's and later came with those dipsticks..... mine is an 82.

Maybe search around the forum a bit but this will likely take a pro.... like Andrew, Fatmobile maybe Hagar!
Hey Smog do you know this one?

Btw that engine is really clean (on the outside) I hope you get chance to drive it soon. Good luck
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That is the correct '83 vanagon dipstick and tube. It is also the correct alt bracket. It may or may not be the correct block. Where the dipstick tube fits into the block should just take an o-ring and slide right in (without that little tube) to the proper depth. If it doesn't, then fix it in there somehow so that it doesn't leak (use your imagination) and recalibrate the dipstick (you should anyway) by filling it to the specification and marking that as the full mark.

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

alternator bracket

Post by Fatmobile »

That looks like a non-AC alternator bracket.
It's missing the small upper bracket that bolts to the injection pump (I see the hole it bolts to) and on the Rabbit would support the upper timing belt cover ... not sure what the upper timing belt cover looks like on one of these.
westveld
Glow Plug

Post by westveld »

Thanks for the tips, that'll help a lot!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I have heard that the hole in the block is sometimes a different size from application to application, so it may not fit correctly if the block is not a stock 83 diesel vanagon one. In that case, get creative. I know of at least one person who made a new tube out of steel brake line.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

brake line

Post by stopping »

Thats brilliant... of course. That's for the tip.