Brakes Brakes Brakes

Moderator: Fatmobile

diesel dunk
Cetane Booster

Brakes Brakes Brakes

Post by diesel dunk »

I have to pump the pedal twice before the brakes work. The pads are all ok. Anyone got any ideas, maybe air or cylinder probs. not sure.

Cheers.
Duncan

1.6NA Type 25 Caravelle (Vanagon)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I would bleed them.

Andrew
diesel dunk
Cetane Booster

Post by diesel dunk »

I have the kit and the right fluid - can you offer any handy tips.

Cheers.
Duncan

1.6NA Type 25 Caravelle (Vanagon)
hoyt
Diesel Freak

Post by hoyt »

Here is how to bench bleed at master cylinder:
To bench bleed, you need to mount the master cylinder solidly on the bench. Some times you can just clamp it in a vice. Be sure it is level or you will likely never get all the air out. Next, you must connect short lines to the output ports on the cylinder. Some cylinders will come with some plastic fittings and tubing. If not, you can make some bleeding lines by buying short lengths of brake tubing with the proper fitting already on it. If both ports use the same size fitting, just buy a 24 inch length with the proper fitting at both ends. Cut the tube in two equal lengths and bend it so that the tubes will loop back into the top of the master cylinder reservoir. You fill the reservoir with fluid so the ends of the tubes are submerged. Then simply pump the master cylinder until no bubbles come out of the tubes. Keep adding fluid as needed to keep the ends of the tubes covered. What this does is remove all the air trapped inside the cylinder. You may be able to leave the bleeding tubes installed until the cylinder is mounted and you are ready to connect the lines. After lines are connected, bleed the entire system to get out any air the entered when the cylinder was removed. Start with the right rear wheel and work your way forward. Amazing how well air can hide in a brake system.
This can be done with the master cylinder in the Van, that is how
I did mine. If you have and old master culinder I would *not*
do this, you will destroy the seals on the plunger. The only
why you should bleed and old master cylinder is with a
pressure bleeder.
--John
'82 Diesel Vanagon
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I always use the two person method of bleeding the brakes with one person pumping the pedal (and keeping an eye on the fluid level) and one person manning the bleeder screws. You first soak all of the bleeders with penetrating oil. Then a six-point socket or wrench is used to loosen each bleeder. Be careful of the way that you are exerting force on the bleeder bolt as they are hollow and very easy to snap. If you snap either of the rear ones, the cylinder is cheap and easy to replace. If one breaks on the front, the front calipers are worth using an easyout in.

When bleeding the brakes start farthest away from the MC at the passenger rear. Get the tube on the bleeder with the other end in a jar. Open the bleeder and have the other individual start pumping the brakes. Fast pumps down and slow pumps up. When the fluid is coming clear without air, have them pump it to the floor and hold it there while you tighten the bleeder. Repeat for the driver's rear, then the passenger front then the driver's front.

Andrew