81 Diesel pickup with shell 'possibly' for sale...

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

Weston
Glow Plug

81 Diesel pickup with shell 'possibly' for sale...

Post by Weston »

Below is some info on my 81 diesel Pickup. I will know within a week if this one is positively, absolutely for sale. you might go to the link and see the photos of this silver & blue beauty. If the deal on the newer truck goes through I will post new photos of what it looks like today so you can decide if it is of interest. If you are interested and are looking at $4000 or so for an excellent truck you can email me and get on the list of those who are looking seriously for a fine vehicle.

http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread....highlight=Guest

If you go to the above thread you can see some photos of my 81 that I am thinking of selling. I am in the Western USA. The truck runs beautifully, gets mileage from 38 at the very worst and 52 at the very best. (for me) It averages around 45-48 for most of my driving.

Right now I have a transmission that is hard to shift from reverse but that would be completely repaired by the best VW shop in Ogden before it would be sold.

Has a 5 speed tranny & is a strong runner. Very clean as you can see in the photos. The rims with it would most likely go on my new 82 (it the deal pans out) and the VW 'snowflake' style rims with new tires would go on this one. If I do the deal I would contact the new owner & give the upgrade to bigger and/or better grade tires if they paid the cost difference from the basic but decent ones I would put on the other rims.

The truck has had an engine overhaul about 80,000 miles ago. I have been running Mobil 1 truck/SUV oil in it. Redline MT4 in the transmission. Ventilated front disks from the 83 GTI with ceramic pads(all new, not from the junkyard) on the front. The bed has Herculiner (like RhinoLiner) coating and is in excellent condition. The shell is the metal one and was painted when I did the truck this past year. A nice package and a very good looking truck, finished off by hand pinstriping as you can see in the photos.

NO tower rust and no troubles other than the shifting which I will fix. A new steering rack was put in last week... the original just had too much play. Then today I came on an 82 with less than 100,000 original miles on it, beautiful condition with custom shell, sitting in a farmers barn. If it runs as he claims and passed OK with a leakdown test I will probably pull the trigger and have a new project truck and my faithful Silver & Black Caddy will have to go.

I will know for sure on this one within a week at the longest. I am looking at two options for selling it. Here on the various VW lists and eBay. I know it is a good truck as I drive it. It looks good, runs well and the mileage is excellent. The engine is in great condition and even has a block heater I had installed last fall. New glow plugs & completely checked out by the best VW diesel mechanic in our area. New shocks and struts last year and a full 4 wheel alignment last week after the new steering rack was installed. If it goes on the block I will give you the VW shop number to call for reference if you want. They know the vehicle and how we care for them. I can do a lot of my own work but rely on their expertise for the harder stuff.

So, this is mainly a heads up in case I do go for the 82 that seems to be calling to me. I know... more painting & tweaking to get it this nice but it is something that is fun to do. And how often does a good truck from the original owners fall into your lap? As I said, I will know within a week at the longest and will make the decision then. But take a look at the photos of my truck & see if it is something you would be interested in if I get the new one. I would have absolutely no problems driving it across country. It is in good condition and all works well on it.
FieroGT42
Glow Plug

Post by FieroGT42 »

Sorry, your link doesn't seem to work.
Weston
Glow Plug

Post by Weston »

I think you have to go to vwcaddy.com and then enter the link to get it to show. I can't get it to work from here either but from their site it does... the photos are on the site in a post.

It is definately for sale now. I got the new diesel LX, 1982 and it is the new project.