Vanagon/Caravelle 1.6 Td questions

Moderator: Fatmobile

Macflai
Glow Plug

Vanagon/Caravelle 1.6 Td questions

Post by Macflai »

Hi there!

New here and happy to see there is a VW Diesel Forum!

I am from Canary Islands, Spain, but living at the moment in Ireland, the Emerald Isle!

I bought some months ago a Caravelle GL Westy with famous 1.6 Td engine on it... It has 260k kms on the clock and still working nice!
I have changed the glow plugs and fixed myself the gearbox (a Syncro one)
The question is: two weeks ago I saw under the fuel injection pump some diesel and when I drive for a long time I can see some smoke going out through the rear side vents and it smells diesel! So I think the fuel injection pump is leaking and I think through the cold starter lever because it gets to the iron u section bolted to the engine block...
Is that easy to repair (just a seal) OR I have to repair the whole fuel injection pump?
VW Caravelle GL
Syncro 14" '86 Westfalia
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

injection pump leak

Post by Fatmobile »

Welcome to the forum.
There are several threads about this seal. Doing a search should help or taking a look at the FAQs should give you a good idea of what it'll take to change this seal.
You'll need to remove the injection pump.
Macflai
Glow Plug

Post by Macflai »

Any help to search these threads? It is a bit hard to get them... I used the search engine and with "leak" "injection" words but no the thing I am looking for... :roll:
VW Caravelle GL
Syncro 14" '86 Westfalia
Macflai
Glow Plug

Post by Macflai »

Macflai wrote:Any help to search these threads? It is a bit hard to get them... I used the search engine and with "leak" "injection" words but no the thing I am looking for... :roll:
Have read 2... :wink:
VW Caravelle GL
Syncro 14" '86 Westfalia
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The "FAQ" thread is actually on the "VW Diesel (General)" forum on this site. Lots of good info. When using the search engine with multiple words you should use "and" between them to limit the search. "injection and pump and leak" would be appropriate.

Andrew