Towing Vanagon 4 wheels down?

Moderator: Fatmobile

runnysucklehose
Cetane Booster

Towing Vanagon 4 wheels down?

Post by runnysucklehose »

I am looking at an 83 VW Vanagon 1.6L Diesel, 4 Speed Manual Transmission. Can those be be towed 4 Down? I don't have a manual but thought maybe one of you all could help...

Also, did the 83 have the 1.6 or the 1.9L engine? Would 73,000 be alot on a Vanagon? Seems like they move alot more weight? I have a good 1.6L, 84 model, will it fit in the van?

Thanks in advance, Joe
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I have towed several with all four wheels on the ground using a towbar. The '83s were all 5-speeds. Either it is a 5-speed, an 82 or someone swapped trannys. The vanagon never got the 1.9. I don't think they did even in Europe. 73,000 is a lot on a vanagon. Most of them tossed a rod by 80,000. The '84 engine will fit. Ubderstand that the 1.6 n/a vanagons were incredibly slow. Probably the slowest production vehicle since the 50's. I would not even consider installing another 1.6 n/a motor.

Andrew
VanVan
Cetane Booster

Post by VanVan »

I'll second what Andrew said: I've gotten used to my li'l 50 hp motor, which I bought used and installed in a busted Westy, but wouldn't do it again. I've learned tons about Diesels, but imagine having learned tons about 1.9's and turbos instead, AND being able to do 65 on the interstate!
JD Axford
Vancouver, WA
80 Accord, 85 Toyota, 82 Westy 1.6D n/a
vwtopia
Cetane Booster

Post by vwtopia »

I have towed several different vanagons using a towbar. If you want to see pictures go to http://www.vwtopia.com/towbar and look under the vanagon section. If you want to do 65 mph with a 1.6 put on smaller wheels. You'll get passed still but when you look at the speedometer you'll feel good. It will also increase your fuel mileage. :shock: