Glow Plug Re-Wiring

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Glow Plug Re-Wiring

Post by coke »

Im going to be re-wiring my entire glow plug relay to under the hood. Anyone insterested in an article, reflect your results in the poll. When I finish this, this is where the write-up will appear. This is applicable only to an A2 model Jetta, with the two-wire temperature sensors, however, will possibly work with the older A1 models. This will also isolate the glow plug light on the dashboard, and currently, the way I'm doing it will render it unoperable until hooked up to the relay. I had to do this to bypass the water seperator sending unit.
jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

glow plug rewire

Post by jettaman8691 »

I do hope you can post this project.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

:shock: Be sure to segregate the glowplug supplies for added convenience.... :idea:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
coke

Post by coke »

I have a wiring diagram I will post a picture of. It outlines the relay terminal #'s and where the wires are supposed to go. Will post as soon as I get it uploaded.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Fatmobile wrote:Image
:?: That's interesting...
Why did you not bring flying leads all out towards #4 so that individual plugs can be checked in the 'open' area rather than including '2nd best' access point #3 :?:

Covering my rear with one of these... :oops:

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

glowplugs

Post by Fatmobile »

I didn't think all 3 copper lugs and the lug on the wire from the glow plug fuse, would be able to stack up on one glowplug and still have room for the nut.
Everyone knows it's going to be the 2 hardest plugs to get at that are burnt out :lol: so 1 and 2 have jumpers on them.
I check for total current first, if it's low I can still check each plug.
To check the 4th glowplug I remove the glowplug fuse wire and the jumper from number 2 so I can check that one also.
If it's not one of those, I pull the nut on glowplug number 3... not real easy to get to but not too hard. That brings #1 glowplug jumper wire out and easy to get to.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Code: Select all

I didn't think all 3 copper lugs and the lug on the wire from the glow plug fuse, would be able to stack up on one glowplug and still have room for the nut. 
Yes that was my first thoughts [and actions] :idea: Then I decided to bring a flying lead off # 4 as well :idea: and create a fifth terminal [bolt]...

:evil: It always felt that there was a danger of twisting the #4 glowplug to a premature death. Not sure what SWG I used but it was slightly smaller than the supply but I ran 2 wires to each 'yellow' ring connector giving greater flexibility for less power drop. :twisted:

... girls like em ;o)

rayray
Cetane Booster

Post by rayray »

As another idea.....

I wires each glow plug individually. I use a 'power distribution block' commonly used in car stereo amplifier application to tie them all together.

Now it is super easy to check each glow plug individually for continuity.
'90 Ram 12V Cummins
'92 Jetta (current gas>TD swap project)
'86 Quantum Synchro SW gasser (future TD project?)
'82 Rabbit TurboDiesel Pickup (Totaled due to inattention)
'83 Quantum TurboDiesel sedan (crushed)
'82 Quantum TurboDiesel wagon (crushed)
'82 Quantum gasser (totaled by drunk driver)
'85 Quantum SW gasser (crushed)
rayray
Cetane Booster

Post by rayray »

Anyone tried to build a glow plug circuit that allows a little bit of 'afterglow' once the car starts? Maybe something that would have a lower voltage burn for a minute or so. Would this allow for a cleaner burn until the engine warms up?

I believe that some of the older Mercedes had this setup. And possibly the Isuzu/Chevy Luv trucks?
'90 Ram 12V Cummins
'92 Jetta (current gas>TD swap project)
'86 Quantum Synchro SW gasser (future TD project?)
'82 Rabbit TurboDiesel Pickup (Totaled due to inattention)
'83 Quantum TurboDiesel sedan (crushed)
'82 Quantum TurboDiesel wagon (crushed)
'82 Quantum gasser (totaled by drunk driver)
'85 Quantum SW gasser (crushed)
therogue
Glow Plug

Individual Wires

Post by therogue »

I installed a system with an individual wire to each glow plug. All wires run to the #4 glow plug. It is true there is VERY little room to install all the wires on that one glow plug along with the incoming power wire. The nut only goes about half way on.

I'll look into this "power distribution block" to allow for more room. I like the individual wires, it allows for a really quick resistance check to see which glow plug (if any) is broke.

Any help on this "power distribution block" would be appreciated.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

EX Glowplug speaks up.

Post by hagar »

To by-pass VW wiring on 1980 to 1984 ---is Apple Pie --simple --if coke will post pictures of how hagar did it ? ---works like crazy --NEVER any problems.

Relay --(small Amerikan starter rely) is mounted on side of left front Tower.

hagar.

PS : VW setup is downright stupid.----wires under the dash with tons of amps ? --fire hazard. --IMHO.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

rayray wrote:Anyone tried to build a glow plug circuit that allows a little bit of 'afterglow' once the car starts? Maybe something that would have a lower voltage burn for a minute or so. Would this allow for a cleaner burn until the engine warms up?

I believe that some of the older Mercedes had this setup. And possibly the Isuzu/Chevy Luv trucks?
VWs, at least in the '70s-'80s all had the "afterglow" feature, built in to the relay-timer. Edit... well, maybe not, come to think of it. at least the '77-'80 slow-glow systems DID have what you are calling the "afterglow" feature. The "fastglow" systems may not have.(?) Anyone have the definitive answer here?

J.R.
SoCal
1RED-RYDER1
Cetane Booster

GLOWPLUG REWIRE--HILLBILLY STYLE!

Post by 1RED-RYDER1 »

recently had glowplug problems AGAIN!
this time i used a ford starter relay-- with four terminals[$10 at autozone]---'ole time' horn button [$4 at autozone].
one side/end wired from the battery lug of the rabbit starter to the relay, the other side/end to the first accessable glowplug terminal, with 10 gauge thhn machine tool wire,[ soldered terminals].
i placed the 'ole time' horn button just to the left of the steering wheel. wired the horn button with heavy-duty 18 gauge speaker wire [very thick grey plastic outer insulation red and black insulated conductors inside] THIS FORD RELAY HAS TWO CONTROL CENTER TERMINALS [some have single center control center terminals] L@@K closely at the center terminals---one is labeled starter the other labeled ignition, chose the ignition terminal and the relay won't click/energize!
the 'ole style' horn button IS WIRED THIS WAY ..... power the horn button from the relay side/end lug fed from the battery of the rabbit starter [ i put a 15 fuse in-line to protect the 'ole time' horn button], the other to the control center terminal labeled 'starter'.
if this 'rigged-solution should fail i'll place a 50 amp r.v. blade in-line fuse 'before' the relay.
TURN THE IGNITION KEY---PUSH the 'ole time' horn button HEAR the click and KNOW the glowplug is getting FULL AMPERAGE!
the first diesel trucks i 'operated' had glowplug push buttons for cold starts.
I CONSIDERED A DIODE TO ELIMINATE BACKFEEDING THE 'ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT' GLOWPLUG RELAY-----BUT CHOSE THE CHEAPEST WAY!
TOO MANY ELECTRONIC RELAYS ALREADY --WHY ADD ANOTHER!

okay critique me! so far it works and it is soooo simple!
81 diesel caddy
93 volvo 240
68 triumph T120R
69 bsa A65L
Staxman
Glow Plug

Post by Staxman »

rayray wrote:I wires each glow plug individually. I use a 'power distribution block' commonly used in car stereo amplifier application to tie them all together.
I assume the power distribution block is out in the open so you don't have to get the continuity tester directly on each glow plug? I'm currently trying to figure out why my car won't start, and I wish it had this setup!
'84 Quantum turbodiesel wagon