timing spec on 1.6 NA

Moderator: Fatmobile

grampatom
Glow Plug

timing spec on 1.6 NA

Post by grampatom »

I have been lent a dial guage to precisely tme my 1.9 NA. I'm told the deflection on the 1.9 TD is 8.7, but can't locate that spec for the 1.9 NA. Anyone have it?

gramp
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

what's a 1.9 na/ and what do you mean by 8.7 do you 87mm stroke at the gauge?
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
grampatom
Glow Plug

Post by grampatom »

Thank you for your response.

It's a 1.9 liter VW diesel, naturally aspirated rather than turbocharged. I gather from reading that an engine like it has been used in Seat cars. My engine is an ADG, which is actually an industrial version. I suppose it might have been intended to run a pump or some similar device. I have adapted it to fit in my '82 Vanagon, originally powered by a 1.6 diesel.

It's a very nice engine in the Vanagon, nice power if you're not too demanding. It'll cruise nicely at 65 mph, and will stretch to 75 if you give it a little time. I replaced the original transmission with a DX from a junked air-cooled gas Vanagon.

You're right, I'm after the stroke at the guage, which may or may not be 87 mm. Supposing that an engine like it (1.9 liter naturally aspirated, same block and head as the turbo version) has been used in an automotive application, I thought someone out there might have a spec, or suggest a place to look for it.

thanks,

gramp
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

What pump are you using? You're not using the 1.9 industrial pump. Time it to the spec of the pump not the engine. The maximum camplate lift I've seen in any 4-cyl inj pump is less than 4mm, so you're off by at least a couple decimal points.

Andrew