Engine & Transmission instalation

Moderator: Fatmobile

fast heart mart
Glow Plug

Engine & Transmission instalation

Post by fast heart mart »

My engine is already out. My transmission is already out. What is the easiest way to get them both back in my 1982 Westfalia? Together? Apart?

Also, how do you drain and replace the gear oil in a DK transmission? Any special tools required?

Thank You
1982 Westy 1.9td AAZ
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I would personally opt for installing them at them together.

My "poor man's hoist" and a jack under the tranny nose would work just fine.

Here's a closeup of the hitch components.

Proabaly only two hitches are needed if you jack the nose of the tranny (necessary anyway).

The tranny is drained by lossening the drainplug at the bottom of the bellhousing. The plug is a very large allen plug, I believe it is 17mm. Sockets are available at most auto parts stores (I bought one at Checker). It is filled by removing a similar plug on the passenger side of the tranny and pumping the fluid in using a hand pump (also available at most auto parts stores and quite necessary for the job). You might consider removing (or at least loosening) the fill plug before the drain plug just to be sure that you can get it undone, as once you have opened the drain plug, there is no turning back. Be sure to clean out the allen area of the plug prior to inserting the socket, and be sure to hammer the socket into the allen head so that it is completely seated. With the tranny installed and the vehicle sitting on level ground, the tranny should be filled until it is level with the bottom of the fill hole (begins to spill out).

Andrew
fast heart mart
Glow Plug

Thanks Andrew. What weight oil do you recommend?

Martin
1982 Westy 1.9td AAZ
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I would use a specifically diesel rated oil (they will have a rating that is two letters, diesel is C and another letter). I am not sure what C designation is required for the AAZ. If your engine has been re-ringed, don't use synthetic for the break-in period-the rings will likely not seat. I wouldn't use anything lighter than an "X"W-40 (insert number where X is). Possibly a 15W-40 or even 20W-50 this time of year. If the rings are seated then synth is better for the long haul.

Andrew
fast heart mart
Glow Plug

Hi Andrew,

I meant what weight oil for the tranny? I should have been clearer.

Martin
1982 Westy 1.9td AAZ
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

AA Transaxle (very highly regarded vw transaxle rebuilder) says this:

"We suggest Redline MT-90 for Vanagon (hypoid) style units and MTL for the Jetta style units."

I have heard very good things from many folks regarding that lube. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube 85W-90 and felt it was fine, but I'm sure AA knows more than I do about it. I just got my 5-speed rebuilt and will be using the Redline.

Andrew