My "new" Gti body

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

My "new" Gti body

Post by Fatmobile »

Look what I found:
Drag it out into the sunlight:
...and onto a trailor:
I have a rebuilt diesel sitting at home waiting for it, all bolted to the trany.
It hasn't been plated in 10 years so it'll need more than an engine.
I spent last year paying for it and gathering parts. Finally got it home today.
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

That thing is dusty! But it looks nice and straight and rust-free. Should make a sweet car. Nice grab.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

totally nice- looks like it was pretty jammed in there
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I've been looking for just a two door for very long time with no luck. I'm going to start checking all the flour mills in Alberta and see what I can find.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Headlight washers too...
A good big bottle for straight VO and no viscosity problems :lol:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

surfcam wrote:I've been looking for just a two door for very long time with no luck.
I don't get it. Why would the two door be more desirable? What's the advantage? Is it in order to have reduced access to the rear seat, or in order to pay more for insurance :?: Why not weld all doors closed and just use the windows like Beau and Luke? :wink:

Andrew
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Your right about about the utility of a four door but it's like polyester pants which out last other pants ten to one but not very cool. For me I'll be running with one or two seats in it most of the time so the other doors won't do much for me most of the time.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

GTI pics

Post by Fatmobile »

Here are some pics from after the rain softened the bird crap and I was able to wash it off.
Rear interior:
I had a few Rabbit diesels in the yard that day. Alex dropped off his new Rabbit diesel for a tuneup and general inspection. I gotta tell you about this.... I noticed the timing belt was running off the gear, looks like a freshly rebuilt pump. I grabbed the gear and tried to wiggle it, see if there was some slop in the shaft bushings. It wiggled plenty, the whole pump was wiggleing so I checked for the rear bolt. It was missing, so were the top 2 bolts and the lower gear-side nut was loose. He drove it 30 miles this way. I am no longer afraid to loosen the bolts and turn the pump while the engine is running :lol: . I have timed some pumps that way and worried the whole time.
There is also a '79 tan Rabbit with only the hood showing, Mike brought it down from MPLS to troubleshoot. Worst case of rear frame rot I've ever seen. Not sure what was keeping it off the ground.
And of course the Fatmobile (tan passenger door).

Driver's seat had some duct tape on it at one time. I have access to 3 of these seats I might be able to make one good driver's seat out of them. The passenger seat looks good.

An empty engine bay, just waiting for the diesel I have built for it.
Select text, Control C... cuz I'm not going to lose all this typing.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

gti

Post by Fatmobile »

Looks like I have some updating to do.
Here's a picture of the ignition wires, most of the way through the previous owner's patch (twisting the wires together and wrapping with electrical tape). They are now soldered and double heat shrinked.:
Next to it is my custom stock glow plug setup (dashlight wire (bl/w) not hooked up yet).
The stock glowplug relay is used to trigger a Ford starter relay which is a little more durable. The ford relay is also setup to be triggered by a manual push button so I can keep them on as long as I want.
Hagar once mentioned how crazy it is to run these heavy wires through the firewall and into the passenger compartment, just to hook them up to a relay and send them back out into the engine bay... and of course that got me trying to do it right while installing glow plug wires on this car.
With this setup I came off the battery and went right to the stock glowplug fuse holder (need to find the cover), then to the Ford starter relay. Never enter went through the firewall with the big wires.

OK, now some pics of the engine install. Most of you know I'm a shade tree mechanic. I don't have much of a garage but even if I did I'd rather hook the car up to the "pullin' tree" when it's time to put an engine in.
Not trying to show off my special tools. I didn't post this so you'd be all be very envious of me and my "pullin' tree" but I'm sure that you are. It's so much easier than using an engine hoist; Roll the car back and block the rear wheels, then lift the front of the car with the come-along until it's high enough to remove the tire blocks and the car rolls forward over the engine.
As the body is being lowered, it's real easy to swing the car from side to side or back and forth until it sits right down where it is supposed to. Then hook up the engine and lift it into place. . All I can say is don't hate me because I have the perfect 'pullin' tree". :lol:
For those jealose haters in the crowd, this is what the front struts looked like:
:shock: That should turn the hate right into pity. :lol:
Only to be turned back into jealose rage when you see my custom instrument cluster: :P :twisted:

It has an extra LED installed next to the yellow glow plug light that tells me when the glow plugs are actually getting 12V and another light that I haven't decided what to do with yet.... any suggestions what I can do with that light would be appreciated (for some of you this might be a good time to practice a little self control :lol: ).
I did a little coloring for ya... The brown wires are grounds, the extra glowplug wire has a set resistance but the brightness of the extra light will be adjustable.
I'm installing a tach in place of the clock.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

GTI

Post by Fatmobile »

There I got all that posted without losing it, shwew.
The car actually starts up great and runs right down the road. Made me think of all the people who post about how many times they ran the battery down and had to charge it back up to get it to fire. It was cranking so fast it was idleing but when I turned off the starter it would quit. Cranked it forever and the starter and wires didn't even get hot because it was so close to starting it was actually running. The max fuel screw was out a few turns and there were a few fuel leaks or I'm sure the fuel would have flowed much earlier.
It's started, warmed up, head bolts 1/4 turned, only water at first but that has been drained using the custom block drain that I started another topic about quite awhile ago:
It now has antifreeze flowing through it and I've driven it up and down the block a couple times (no exhaust yet... or brakes). Nice to be able to hop in, start it up and move it around under it's own power.
The front is close to done, now I need to lift the rear up, do the rear brakes, flush the whole brake system and maybe replace some rear brake lines... before I put the rebuilt front calipers back on.
Yep, when it goes, stops and the lights work... it's a car. Not quite there yet.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

gti

Post by Fatmobile »

One more post.
Here's a picture of another instrument cluster I built for a car I sold:
That's actually the first picture I ever learned to post and there is a topic about this cluster on here somewhere.
The guy called me one day and said the car wouldn't start... the red light in the dash wasn't lighting up but the yellow glow plug light was.
The glow plugs weren't getting juice so I was able to tell him right off that his glow plug fuse was probably bad.... and it was.
... and I laughed. :lol: because it was so easy and worked just the way I had planned it. Gotta love it when things actually work out the way they are supposed to.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Re: your extra LED on the cluster (nice job building them in btw... always wanted to do that).

I have a light on the glow plug buss bar like you... saved my butt many times when the relay broke or the fuse went south.

I also have a light when the rad fan comes on... my beast tends to run a little hot and I like knowing when it's calling for cooling. I also have a bypass switch on the same line so that I can run the fan manually... good for days when I'm sitting in traffic or about to climb a long hill and can get a head start on cooling her down.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Jeez, Fatmobile, you've lifted so many engines by way of that poor tree, that you bent that big limb. :shock:

Looks good.

Andrew
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

New Body.

Post by hagar »

my two door 1982 Rabbit --has a BIGGER --driver side door --than Fraulein Bunny Bondo ---my left big toe --say tell them it is HEAVY.

So if you like to slip in and out a lot ? --go for a two door.

hagar.

PS : Gavrik Peterson has a two door----when I met him ? he needs a two door ---that kid is TALL. -----Val Christian is a BIG man , I am the type Rabbits were designed for. --BUT ? --yes I have scars on my bald head.---- I am a four door type.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

GTI

Post by Fatmobile »

I was having some trouble with the tail lights today.
They would come on when I turned on the parking lights, then go off when I turned on the headlights. When they were on they seemed dim.
I traced it down to the headlight switch. When I pulled the plug from the switch, the plug was badly melted.
I found another switch, with a plug and wires attached and was able to get all the connectors out with only ruining one.... the one to the tail lights.
Now they shine brightly and when they are supposed to.... rear turns aren't working yet though.... so I can't stuff all the wires and fusebox back up under the dash just yet.
That limb does have a weird curve in it. It has always been there but it looks like the little Rabbits have been putting a strain on it, ha. It's an ash tree so it's good and strong. An ash tree did get blown down on the other side of the house/shack... huge tree but none of the limbs broke off. It came up by the roots.