2003 Golf tdi - Check Engine Light

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

BlueJay83
Glow Plug

2003 Golf tdi - Check Engine Light

Post by BlueJay83 »

Diesel fans,

Just sold the '83 Rabbit for an '03 tdi Golf. I've had it for 1 tank of diesel (650 miles) and the check engine light comes on. I am not a fan of the dealer having had my trusty Bentleys to steer me in the right direction, but I don't even have one yet for the Golf.

Any suggestions on what to check 1st? I reset the existing K&N filter in the filter housing. Checked what appears to be O2 sensor (3) connectors coming off of the air filter box and made sure nothing else exhaust or environmental was loose for starters.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Brad
'03 Golf tdi
Delaware
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

The most common cause I've seen is where the gas cap is not tight, it triggers the check engine light due to a fault in the evaporative emission control system.

I was told to tighten the cap until at least 3 clicks are heard. If you haven't been doing that it's an easy fix.

If not, you're probably going to need someone with an OBDII code reader and the VW troubleshooting guide. Could be an EGR valve (sticking/leaking?), I believe the later TDIs have one.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
BlueJay83
Glow Plug

'03 Golf tdi Check Engine Light

Post by BlueJay83 »

Bob,

Thanks for the advice, and I'm afraid it's the latter as I've torqued down that fuel cap over 3 clicks twice already. I'll get out the newly purchased Bentley's and troubleshoot the EGR valve!

Thanks again,
Brad

'03 Golf tdi
coke

Post by coke »

You can trouble shoot the EGR valve by going in the computer with VAG-COM and disabling it per the TDICLUB faq, and blocking off the pipe for the EGR valve. :)
cooky
Glow Plug

Post by cooky »

this might sound strange check you back brake lights to see of any bulbs are out

when i get the check engine its a blown brake bulb :D :D
coke

Post by coke »

Oh yeah, if you have a check engine light due to a mechanical fault or a bad sensor or whatever, be prepared to take it to a dealer to have them CLEAR the light .. so you might as well take it in to find out what set it off, because they'll have to clear it after you fix the problem. Trust me, I know this first hand. :)
cooky
Glow Plug

Post by cooky »

when mine came on when i fixed the problem the light went off :D
scooter
Glow Plug

2001 TDI Beetle Low Power/Low Speed

Post by scooter »

My 2001 TDI Beetle has a top speed of 75 mph and will not go past 3000
RPM....can't hear the Turbo spool up either. Is there something common
that causes (tells) the turbo to not spool up...or is it the Turbo itself inop? :( :(