82 vanagon trany noise

Moderator: Fatmobile

82 vanagon 01 tdi
Glow Plug

82 vanagon trany noise

Post by 82 vanagon 01 tdi »

Hi just got this grate 82 vanagon 1.6 diseal. It has a noise in neutral 1st & 2nd. the noise stops with clutch in. Found release bearing not the best & pilot shot. Then with trans on the bench I spun it and went through the gears had noise in the same spots ???

any one help

can I turbo my 1.6?

what is the diff 1.6 and 1.6 td I mean in the motor it self
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

FYI, there is a vanagon diesel specific forum here and considering that the transmission in the vanagon is not like any other VW diesel tranny, you're posting in the wrong place (the vast majority of answers you get will not apply).

Don't know if it is your trouble, but if the pilot bearing was shot than more than likely the oil slinger in the bell housing has released itself from being a press fit. If you don't fix that (along with the messed up input shaft seal, you'll be redoing everything very soon.

You could turbo you're 1.6 in your vaangon, but it would not very long at all. The parts will bolt up, but the internals are different and so considering the weight of the vanagon it will not last.

The differences between the two engines have been covered in the past. Use the search.

Andrew
itzdshtz
Glow Plug

Post by itzdshtz »

Probably your main bearing is wore out, (along with all your other bearings) don't drive it much further if you plan to have it rebuild, it will likely split and ruin your gear carrier.

Another option would be a used tranny, be sure to get some kind of warranty, I have seen people swap 3 tranny's before they got a good one.