Need HELP

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

VW'r
Glow Plug

Need HELP

Post by VW'r »

I need help! I have a 1981 rabbit pick-up I bought laast fall after it had sat for 2yrs. with unknown problem. I got it running, but could not get #4 to fire. I removed oil filler cap and engine has lots of bolw-by. I talked to the previous owners son-in-law and he said it has been like that since he bought it. So, I decided I would re-ring it. Pulled it all apart and found #4 rod was slightly bent :cry:. I need to get it together and don't have much of a budget to work with or time. So, I am asking would anybody have a used rod they want to get rid of. Plaese reply ASAP - Thanks[/b]
rkas48
Cetane Booster

need help

Post by rkas48 »

VW'r; Where are you located? Which rod do you need? May not make a difference but I have always replaced with rod from same # cylinder. Is it a 1.6L engine? I am in SoCal.
VW'r
Glow Plug

Post by VW'r »

rkas48-
I am located in N.D. I need the #4 rod and it is a 1.6 with 11mm headbolts so, it must be an early 1981?
rkas48
Cetane Booster

Post by rkas48 »

VW'r I have a rod, however it is still in a bad engine. I don't know how fast you need it. I can try to pull it out this weekend, weather permitting. Do you need the piston also? Then I can send it to you for cost of postage. Let me know.
VW'r
Glow Plug

Post by VW'r »

rkas48, I probably can't work on it for a couple weeks so, whatever would work for you. Let me know what would work out best. It will be nice to free up some room in the garage before the snow flies.
VW'r
Glow Plug

Post by VW'r »

rkas48, the piston I have looks o.k. It is up to you if you need it or not. I am pretty sure mine should work. Also, do you think the rods are all the same?
VW'r
Glow Plug

Post by VW'r »

rkas48 - I thought about it and maybe the complete rod and piston is the safest way to go. Let me know what you need to ship it.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

When you get the the rod weigh it. If its a little heavier then the rest just grind a little off the bottom of the cap. If its a little light mig weld a spot in the center of the cap or add a washer then grind to match.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta