California law as it pertains to wvo usage?

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

floydr
Cetane Booster

California law as it pertains to wvo usage?

Post by floydr »

I know that the law for transporting wvo is rather straight forward, doesn't leave much room for the little guy, I am talking about the guy who takes home 10 to 20 gallons of WVO a week.
Then there is the grey area where the state says yes you are suppose to pay road tax on anything that is used as fuel on the highway. But makes it hard to figure out how to pay the tax.
thank you
Mark Floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
WVO conversion sept 27,2006
Single tank conversion
12v injector line heaters, coolant fuel filter heater, and 12v fuel line heater
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Iirc you don't have to pay road tax on alternative fuel vehicles, like electric, propane, biodiesel, etc... Having to get a waste oil permit sounds like a PITA, have you found anything else out about it?
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

Well from all the information I have recieved you are suppose to pay atate road tax, not sure about federal tax I have heard there is a 400 gallon for personal use That is not taxed.

The permit is supposebly painfree to get. Just have to have your car/truck inspected and have signs so and so's waste oil company on the car, they can be magnetic signs. I have asked my insurance agent to look in togetting me the insurance coverage and how much it will be. They don't have much leeway in inteperation of the law/code.

I will see if this pans out.

Later Mark
1981 VWDasher Diesel
WVO conversion sept 27,2006
Single tank conversion
12v injector line heaters, coolant fuel filter heater, and 12v fuel line heater
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I found this while googling
Alternative Fuel Tax

The excise tax imposed on compress natural gas (CNG), liquefied natural gas (LNG) and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) as vehicle fuels can be paid through an annual flat-fee rate sticker tax based on vehicle weight as follows:
Unladen Weight Fee
All passenger cars and other vehicles 4,000 pounds (lbs.) or less $36
More than 4,000 lbs. but less than 8,001 lbs. $72
More than 8,000 lbs. but less than 12,001 lbs. $120
12,001 lbs. or more $168

Alternatively, owners and operators may pay excise tax on CNG of $0.07 per cubic feet, LNG $0.06 per gallon, and LPG of $0.06 per gallon. Excise taxes on ethanol and methanol containing not more than 15% gasoline or diesel fuel are reduced to $0.09 per gallon. (Reference California Revenue and Taxation Code Section 8651 to 8651.8)
So hopefully, if this pans out for you, the DMV will allow you to pay the $36 per year.