1.9 td or 1.6 td

Moderator: Fatmobile

82 vanagon 01 tdi
Glow Plug

1.9 td or 1.6 td

Post by 82 vanagon 01 tdi »

hi there, first would like to thank you for the info and tips it shur helps. next i would like to thank ryan for the 93 jetta. now for the questions.
on the 1.9, the crank gear is shot and the end of the crank has some damage not to bad i dont think. has any one delt with this? i heard that vw came out with a better gear and that the crank could be fixed?.........
now that i have a 1.6 td and the 1.9 td what is the better motor for the vanagon and is there one that is simpler to hook up the exaust , motor mounts etc.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The "D" shape TDI gear is the upgraded part. There are some people who have the tooling to cut the crank to accept the TDI pulley, but most people who can do it will require that you remove the crank. I would not run a 1.9TD engine without modifying the crank and using the TDI pulley. All of the crank sprockets on the 1.9TD fail unless they are updated. If the crank is fixed, I think that the 1.9TD would be a better choice unless you live somewhere that they are virtually unavailable (like me).

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

deadlygear

Post by stopping »

"deadlygear" is term they use in Newfoundland to say when your got the good gear to go. Sounds like you've got lots of deadlygear.

I would have listened to Andrew if I knew better at the time. So happens when I bought my AAZ, the drive and gear were as mangled as they say. My local VW wizards were able to cut the gear side of the crank so as to fit a new TD gear (not the good stuff) then they tightened the snot out of it. Yes, I guess it will fail again.
Would it help to have the timing belt well tensioned and not too tight?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You should pop over to the GTD Forum and do a few searches in the IDI section. There are folks over there that are far more familiar with the 1.9TD sprocket failure issue. I'm in AZ and far enough away from Canada that the 1.9 AAZs are rarer than rocking horse poo.

Andrew