internal injection pump pressure

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

FineFrank wrote:Andrew,
What part am I looking at? I'm no noob, but I cant figure it out.

Frank

Well, some of the non-turbo pumps came with that pedestal for the out banjo. Some didn't. I can't see how the pedestal serves any purpose whatsoever other than being a useful adapter to drill and tap for a pressure gauge. Time to go to the local junkyard and take a peek at all the diesels...

Andrew
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

I P internal pressure.

Post by hagar »

" Fatso " ? --did I dare ? to name a Rabbit Fatso ? --my dear wife Louanne was FAT --and all mention of FAT was taboo here---no matter how many times I told her that it did NOT bother me ---how much fat on her butt --I worried only about the fat between her ears --not her rears.
Women are sure sensitive--EH ?. -----SO ? tell your FAT Mother, Sister , Girlfriend, Wife ,Daughter that no matter what ---you LOVE them.
Read my lips I NEVER mentioned slimming down or Diet to Louanne---NEVER. ----funny thing her mother Lucy Barmore is like Twiggy ---skinny as anything.

PS : I would have liked to drive Fraulein Bonny Bondo on liposuction fat---just for FUN.
sfmark1497
Glow Plug

Is a hot IP bad?

Post by sfmark1497 »

Hager said "---If we recirculate fuel in pump without return to tank or filter --the heat will destroy pump. "

I have adapted my '86 Jetta Diesel Turbo to run on pre-heated vegetable oil. The minimum temp is 170* F and I've seen it at 212* F. Is that really bad for the IP? What kind of damage can that temp do?

Also, I have the fuel return looped back to the fuel feed line to help heat the incoming fuel. Is that gonna mess up my internal pressure?

Thanks all!
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

I P internal pressure.

Post by hagar »

sfmark1497
Glow Plug-----------------------I see 212 F as NO problem . Robert Bosch never mentioned a Maximum -- he just said it MUST be cooled.

Go to death Valley in summer and you may find out HE was right ? EH ?.

hagar.

PS : remember the governor drive is plastic . --really good stuff --IMHO. a lot better than the flexplate in Roosa Masters.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

I P internal pressure.

Post by hagar »

The best way to fool around with the orifice ? IMHO --is a needle valve. --I use one with a micrometer like adjuster.

I think Fatmobile is correct ---TWO springloaded valves in the same system ? --bad idea.

Not a difficult problem for a PASSIONATE DIY type.

hagar.

PS : I would use Parowax or AV oil first.
bwv
Diesel Freak

Re: I P internal pressure.

Post by bwv »

hagar wrote:PS : I would use Parowax or AV oil first.
I am no expert on injection pumps, but it seems to me that Hagar's P.S. above is very sound advice. Intuitively -- at least to me -- it makes a lot more sense to try to thicken the new ULSD fuel with Parowax (which will not gel down to 0 degrees f) or any other member of the "white oil" family of oils in order the bring the pressure inside the pump back to what it was before the new thinner diesel fuel oils were put on the market, than to mechanically alter the internal pressure by fiddling around with the pump itself. I personally have had great success with the former approach.
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

pump pressure

Post by Fatmobile »

Adjusting fuel to the pump or adjusting the pump to work with the fuel.
Either way we need something to measure with so i went to a machinist and had him make me one for $25 (without the 1/8" NPT hole in the side).
The small piece on the bottom is what I got from the dealership, it was so short I couldn't drill a hole lower than the bolt would go.
I might figure a way to use it, maybe get one of my friends to tig a port to the side.
I don't intend to use the barbed fitting because I don't trust it at 150 psi.
I'm thinking of running a greasegun hose to the gauge.
91 NA
Cetane Booster

Post by 91 NA »

I pulled this quote out of Hagars earlier posts:

"Next simple test : The flowtest at idle. ---625 ml in 90 seconds ---you have a good IP. "

By tapping the pin in, to reach the specified flow, we will be approximating the specified internal perssure, right?

Is this any less accurate than rigging up the pressure guage?
Mark
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

I P pressure.

Post by hagar »

hagar did the flow-testing ---some time ago. SO ? I shall do a Twiggy test soon.

IMHO ---the pressure and pull test ----is more accurate for the time being.

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Flow rate is a factor of both pressure and orifice size. If the orifice is faulty the flow test is irrelevant. The pressure test, on the other hand, is still effective IMO as it is what controls the dynamic timing advance.

Andrew
sfmark1497
Glow Plug

Low IP pressure

Post by sfmark1497 »

Hey guys, I just checked my internal IP pressure and it stinks! I pulled the restricted "out" bolt and replaced it with a standard banjo bolt with the big holes. I installed a brass in-line needle valve after a pressure guage I Tee'd into the line. At 1000 rpm it's only about 15 psi. When I close down the needle valve the most I can get is about 30 psi. The IP does have a leak or two but it drips... not squirts, so I don't know if that would cause the poor internal pressure. Any of you IP gurus have an idea on what the problem is? Thanx!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

internal pump pressure

Post by Fatmobile »

You swapped the "OUT" bolt for a standard banjo bolt... did you change the banjo or are you still using the 2 port banjo... with the small injector line connected. If you didn't and the little injector lines are still hooked up and the pressure gets high, they will pop off and spray fuel everywhere.
...Or maybe they will just leak and relieve pressure at 30psi.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
sfmark1497
Glow Plug

Low pressure

Post by sfmark1497 »

If the little lines popped off or leaked It'd be kinda obvious and I wouldn't need a Guru :)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

I P pressures.

Post by hagar »

sfmark1497
Glow Plug

Friend ---- hagar knows your problem --read my lips. --you did NOT read all of Andrew in Flagstaff postings. --and read Mark Shepherd UK. while you are reading. HE said many times LOUD AND CLEAR ---if you ask questions on the forums ---give details --like where you are and the type of VW---plus history of the car.

hagar

PS : may the FORCE be with you.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Okay, what Fatmobile is saying is quite correct. If you placed a regular "out" bolt along with a needle valve and would like to use that as a long term setup (you're a pioneer AFAIK) then you would need to tee the injector return lines AFTER the needle valve as the push on hose connections are not intended to resist correct internal pressure.

I think you might have one of two potential difficulties or both at the same time. You vane pump could be done and unable to deliver adequate fuel to get your internal pressure to develop properly or the pressure control valve is out of adjustment or both.
libbybapa wrote:Right here:

It is a simple plunger spring assembly. Under pressure the plunger moves up and opens the passages on the side and routes fuel from after the vane pump back to the pump inlet. The indented center of the top of the regulator is a metal plug that can be tapped down slightly to increase internal pressure. To lower the pressure, the regulator can be removes, placed inverted in a vice and tapping on the bottom of the plunger should push the plug the other way.

Andrew
Andrew