internal injection pump pressure

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

levi20ae
Glow Plug

My measured internal pump pressure, dying pump?

Post by levi20ae »

Tonight I measured and adjusted the pump pressure.

After 5 adjustments I left it alone. I did not notice a change in idle or sound after any of the adjustments. It does seem peppier in the upper RPMs and no noticeable increase in smoke, so overall I'm happy. I am worried that maybe my pump is dieing or just getting wore out. As you can see the slope of the lines in each of my measurements after incrementally increasing the pressure were the same. The slope is no where near as steepaswhat is documented in previous post on this thread though. Is this a bad thing? It looks like it but the truck runs great and still does 70 mph or 75 if i really want to push it.

Image[/img]
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Great work with the graph.
Thanks for posting it.
That gives a great idea of what is going on.
I think a stiffer pressure regulator spring would increase the slope.
I should have asked my bosch service tech when I visited him yesterday.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
wolf_walker
Cetane Booster

Post by wolf_walker »

My slope is flatter than that on both my pumps, love to know if there is an easy fix. Seems like a stuffer spring would be no different than driving the adjustment plug down further, making the tension on the plunger higher either way, yes? Maybe the spring is not linear?
81 Caddy D, 601K
73 Mercedes 280
82 Rabbit LS D
Mk1Ultra
Glow Plug

Post by Mk1Ultra »

libbybapa wrote:
My setup:

I used a pedestal from a n/a diesel and drilled and tapped a standard compression fitting in order to use a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The pedestals are readily available. Two stacked together would allow easy fitting to a TD pump. One works fine for a n/a pump.

Andrew
Andrew,
Where did you get the pedestal? Do you have a part number? I can't find it on ETKA or google. Thanks!
~Jon
1984 Rabbit L 1.6NA Diesel, 5-speed swap, 2.25" Techtonics exhaust. I am captain slow ;)

Visit my Mk1 Rabbit Mod and How-to page:
http://mk1ultra.com
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

I believe that's off a NA IP, I can't remember what year or model though.

I do know they're hard to get.

P.S. Andrew isn't on this forum anymore, someone thought it was a good idea to throw mud in his face (with a PM) since he was too right about something......
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I might have posted the part number earlier on this thread,..
but when I went to the dealership and bought one,..
it was much shorter than the stock piece,. too short.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

pressure adapter riser

Post by 81caddyGuy »

I found while in communication with adaptall the following info.

I gather from your description that you would like a bushing that
is male 12x1.5 - female 12x1.5 rigid in an attempt to gain at least 1" of standoff. For small quantities I suggest a two piece solution, part # 9001-12-12( male nipple) #9043M-12-12(rigid coupling) & 9500-12mm (bonded seal).This combination will give you about 1 1/4. For pricing please call us at 1-800-463-8134 and we will find a distributor in your area that you can purchase from.>>

this was from an email from adaptall (adaptall.com) you can look up the pictures there and this two piece setup will give a solid section up to to drill and tap of a veariety of your hearts desire to measure IP internal pressure. The male-male fitting will screw into the IP the the female-female up on top followed by your out banjo bolt and line block.
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
Mk1Ultra
Glow Plug

Banjo Riser

Post by Mk1Ultra »

81caddyguy,

Thanks for the response! After extensive searching, I've located a supplier of said fittings online: DiscountHydraulicHose.com

Prices for the part numbers you listed are as follows:
  • 9001-12-12 | M12x1.5 Male Metric x M12x1.5 Male Metric (Steel) - $6.77
  • 9043M-12-12 | M12x1.5 Female Metric x M12x1.5 Female Metric (Steel) - $14.88
  • 9500-12MM | Bonded Seal, 12MM Metric (Buna) - $0.65
  • Total (before shipping): $22.30
(too lazy to call, would rather buy online) :wink:

Thanks again for the info...if I end up going this route I'll post pictures of the setup when I do my pump re-seal sometime in the near future.
      1984 Rabbit L 1.6NA Diesel, 5-speed swap, 2.25" Techtonics exhaust. I am captain slow ;)

Visit my Mk1 Rabbit Mod and How-to page:
      http://mk1ultra.com
      81caddyGuy
      Diesel Freak

nipple

Post by 81caddyGuy »

Yeah i found a factory riser on an eco diesel in a local junk yard. I think now I am gonna get the whole engine and tranny. mine has been running crazy in the mornings
      '81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
      mtran
      Diesel Freak

Re: Banjo Riser

Post by mtran »

In local shop they made this for 5 euro,I find it simple way.Best
      I`ll improve my English
      Fatmobile
      Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Looks like a banjo would go on the bottom,
      and another on the top.

With a setup like that you would not need a hole tapped in the side.

The bottom banjo would be under pressure,
      you could hook a pressure gauge up to that.

All others that I've seen are just threaded on the bottom,
      not set up for a lower banjo.
      2003 TDI wagon
      2000 TDI Jetta.
      mtran
      Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

Yes Fatmobile,bottom banjo would be under pressure and use for gauge and top is standart OUT by this way same can drive all time,sorry I did not clear betterfor another one.
      I`ll improve my English
      Quantum-man
      Turbo Charger

Re: My measured internal pump pressure, dying pump?

Post by Quantum-man »

levi20ae wrote:Tonight I measured and adjusted the pump pressure.

After 5 adjustments I left it alone. I did not notice a change in idle or sound after any of the adjustments. It does seem peppier in the upper RPMs and no noticeable increase in smoke, so overall I'm happy. I am worried that maybe my pump is dieing or just getting wore out. As you can see the slope of the lines in each of my measurements after incrementally increasing the pressure were the same. The slope is no where near as steepaswhat is documented in previous post on this thread though. Is this a bad thing? It looks like it but the truck runs great and still does 70 mph or 75 if i really want to push it.

Image[/img]
      Greetings chaps,
      I have been meaning to sort this part of the 'sticky' out for a while...
      Here is my version of the graph:

Oops,I had better explain it first :wink:

The graph looks a little busy, but if I explain that the green lines are aproximately Levi's iterations.

The orange line is the corrected version of the data provided by Hagar.
      Note
      1) The line wasn't quite as steep as thought, ie at 2000rpm pump, it should read 141psi, not 150psi
      2) This slope represents the old 1.5 107A pump only.

The Pink line is taken from the mid points of the range of values as graphed by those SAE people. for the 1.6 TD, [n/a also?]

My car is represented by the yellow lines.

Note how both Levi's and my graphs are pretty well parallel to the required spec.

Conclusions
      Note that for Levi, he actually went too far, and his second adjustment was 'better' than my final result. and almost underneath the apparent 'correct' graph.
      I belive that most punters out there have misread the situation, and have made uneccessary adjustments.

My first measurement of my pump gave quite low readings, yet the car performed quite reasonably.
      I therefore believe that as long as the pressures are enough to advance the dynamic timing, then starting lower down just means that your pump needs physical advancement to take up the slack,
      and will still give same rate of advance.
      Increasing the internal pump pressure may help avoiding voids at WOT, but beyonsd some minimum, serve no benefit other than to increase liability of a 'burst seal'

I may add to this later, but I'm in a rush to provide ferret racing for someone's wedding reception in an hour :shock:

RESIZED :roll:
      "I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
      ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
      ... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
      That is why if you listen, you will learn:
      From the one and only Quantum-man,
      Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
      Quantum-man
      Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Here is my method of measuring the injection pump’s lift pump pressure:

I felt sure that the existing outbolt could be used to hold both the out banjo and the gauge banjo. Unfortunately the bolt is the same length as the two banjos.

To overcome this, I first ground down the gauge banjo. This gained me about 4mm.

Next I filed by hand, the bolt head. This gave me another 2mm or so.
      I still needed to pinch more to give myself enough exposed thread to hold all snug. Relying on the accuracy of the ground face of the gauge banjo, sealing on the pump body, I was able to avoid needing a washer there. Under this banjo, I cut a slit in the thread of the out bolt down to the inner gauze. This allowed the internal pump pressure to enter the banjo.
      Sudden inspiration, allowed me to create an ultra thin seal to rest at the end of the thread, and prevent the high pressure leaking into the standard out banjo… Milk bottle polythene! A washer made of this slightly under sized, easily pushed over the threads and sealed inside the gauge banjo

Another piece of bottle pushed to the back of the head of the bolt sealed the filed inner face of the out bolt to the standard out banjo.
      Note, that because I gained a few mm from the bolt head and removed the thick copper washer next to the bolt head; the standard metered outlet hole was under the flange of the outlet banjo. Rough grinding of the area next to the hole and towards the bolt head; directs the returning oil into the banjo.

It worked first time, and gave me 3½ thread turns into the pump body. Maths computation tells me that those threads are more than enough for the pressures involved.
      The outlet banjo shown below is for demo purposes only,and slightly thicker than standard...

With this setup, all I need to do, is remove existing out bolt and copper washers, and then insert modified bolt and washers and add the gauge attached to it’s own banjo. Gauge viewing is near pump, as I can either use my mobile tach., or, the strobe frequency counter, as I push on the pump accelerator lever¦
      Last edited by Quantum-man on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
      "I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
      ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
      ... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
      That is why if you listen, you will learn:
      From the one and only Quantum-man,
      Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
      DanHoug
      Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

just for the heck of it, i tapped my regulator down a bit... no pressure gauge. the piston was really stuck and i couldn't really detect movement. but now, there's a difference.... i'm getting pretty good nailing at highway speed whereas before i wasn't. car seems a bit less smoke-y.

-dan
      '91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
      '91 Jetta ECO