internal injection pump pressure

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

So, I'm gonna pull this thread back from the dead. I was just wondering what kind of increase in MPG anyone has seen by setting the IP pressure this way? And, the second question: has anyone bought the tool posted on pg 10 from Thompson diesel, or do you all just hit the pin with a punch?

Thanks guys.
coke

Post by coke »

Hit the pin with a punch. My mileage went from 40 to 48. Since the internal pressure of the pump is what operates the dynamic timing advance, in theory your engine will be more efficient if your getting the correct amount of advance throughout the RPMS.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

So, was that a consistent 40 MPG to a consistent 48 MPG? What I'm asking is, what that your average before and after, or just the average before, and then the reading after? You see what I'm getting at? I've had cars that got 42-44 MPG all day long, but sometimes I'd take a long trip, and get some good gas, and my MPG figures went from 42-44 to 48-49 with the only differences being 1)windless days, 2) possible higer cetane fuel and 3) more highway driving.

I'm not being incredulous, but I'm just wanting to see what type of increase I can get by fiddling with it.

Another question I had was in regards to static vs. dynamic timing. I'm going to assume that one has nothing to do with the other? In other words, my static timing set with a dial indicator (or by ear/trial+error) with have zero effect on dynamic timing? So, I can leave my pump setting and just adjust the pressure pin to acheive higher MPG? I'm probably gonna build me a pop tester and rebuild my injectors soon. Hopefully between the two, I should get closer to 50 MPG.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I didn't really see any change at all. I'm still pretty consistant at 44MPG IMP.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
coke

Post by coke »

Your static timing is still important, because in the long run, the advance starts from there. Thats why if your engine is quiet, and you rev it up through the gears you shouldn't hear any valve noise, but if you advance your static timing, your dynamic timing is also going to advance.

Whats supposed to happen is giving the static timing spec, the advance is supposed to fall inline with calibration from that point forth. If you advance your static timing, it is my understanding your dynamic also advances, but if hte pressure inside the pump isn't where its supposed to be, you'll only get so much dynamic advance.

What I noticed was, I had no valve noise above idle but after messing with the dynamic advance, I had some. I was running my engine slightly advanced.
Caddyman
Cetane Booster

Post by Caddyman »

Quick questions;

I drilled my out bolt and tapped it for 1/8 npt and installed a pressure gauge as a temporary pressure fitting. Max pressure is about 30 psig but it pulses. I'm assuming that the pressure is supposed to pulse with injector timing?

Also I want to adjust pressure to the specification. This can be done in pump without damage to the regulator? From the looks of things the best way to adjust is to get a long bolt and two nuts and jam them together for a pre determined adjustment amount. How much should I press the plunger in the housing to get about 13 psi (1 mm)?
1981 Caddy "the beast" 1.6NA Diesel (running now)
1981 Caddy "old yeller" 1.6NA Diesel (not running, missing some stuff)
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Caddyman wrote:Quick questions;

I drilled my out bolt and tapped it for 1/8 npt and installed a pressure gauge as a temporary pressure fitting. Max pressure is about 30 psig but it pulses. I'm assuming that the pressure is supposed to pulse with injector timing?

Also I want to adjust pressure to the specification. This can be done in pump without damage to the regulator? From the looks of things the best way to adjust is to get a long bolt and two nuts and jam them together for a pre determined adjustment amount. How much should I press the plunger in the housing to get about 13 psi (1 mm)?
The pulse is normal. I'm not sure if it is from the vein pump pressurizing the pump or, like you said, the small loss of fuel getting spat out into the injector line.

To adjust the regulator you simply tap the inner section downwards. This can be done with it still on the pump. However, if you go to far and the internal pressure is too high, you have to take the regulator out and tap it the other way.

Adjust in very small increments. I would say to adjust for 13psi it would be much less then 1mm. Probably not even noticable. It really is hard to say though.

Tap soft and check often. Trust me. :)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Probably more like .005"
Seems like once tap breaks it loose,... it's been sitting at that setting for a long time, the pressure moves alot with very little movement.
I saw the factory tool for this over on GTD forum, it slides under the lip on the outside of the weird bolt and allows you to turn a screw to press it downward.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The Bosch tool is also shown on page 10 of this thread.

Andrew
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Here's a perfect place to permanently place a fitting for a gauge (where I installed the little aluminum allen head plug), assuming your car is not an automatic:

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

isn't it great they put that there for us? :D
I was messing with my 4 door project and couldn't get any internal pump pressure unless I revved it to about 3000,... then I got 20psi.
I removed the regulator and the lower o-ring was all messed up and letting uel bypass the regulator. New o-ring and problem was solved.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
florigolf
Glow Plug

my experiences with adjusting this

Post by florigolf »

hi,

I found that by setting the pressure as per Hagar's recommendation, it was vastly too much advance and caused a tremendous amount of valve clatter above idle. So i backed it down again in stages, using a dial caliper to measure the depth of the cylinder between taps with the hammer. I may have ended up with a little more pressure than stock, but not much more. I think there is a big difference between Hagar's pump/engine and mine (1986).

just a comment
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Re: my experiences with adjusting this

Post by Op-Ivy »

florigolf wrote:hi,

I found that by setting the pressure as per Hagar's recommendation, it was vastly too much advance and caused a tremendous amount of valve clatter above idle. So i backed it down again in stages, using a dial caliper to measure the depth of the cylinder between taps with the hammer. I may have ended up with a little more pressure than stock, but not much more. I think there is a big difference between Hagar's pump/engine and mine (1986).

just a comment
I noticed that as well. If you read through a few pages back I explained the same thing.

I think it's best to go as far as you can without getting the "marbles".
Bubba1
Glow Plug

Post by Bubba1 »

Now this is at idle?Is there a safe way of doing this without a tach?Is it true to be linear throught the rpm range?So if i set my idle press. at say 40psi then my dynamic advance will go with it?Im wondering if a "w' SIGNAL tach will work properly for this.
86 na to td conversion.10mm pump installe and running a 87 4runner.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

"Pressure in pump MUST be 43.5 Psi at 1000 RPM engine "
"Pressure at 2000 Rpm -about 75.4 Psi"
Those PSI numbers change with perty small RPM changes so I sure wouldn't do it w/o a tach.