internal injection pump pressure

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

3Bunnys, when you drill out that outbolt don't discount Fatmobile's comment about the process taking out the screen that's inside the bolt. Presumably the fuel is clean coming into the pump, but, going out, there are O rings and such in the pump that can disintegrate and potentially clog the tiny hole in the outbolt which would cause improperly advanced timing, and possibly other problems as well. I think it a bit unlikely, but 'Murphy' is always hanging out ready to prove that his law applies.

I just didn't want you to have some kind of problem that would delay the beer delivery! :wink:
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

Yes we will be gentle when we drill.. want to just break thru bolt head ... not rip out screen ,,, will lean on drill press handle easy,,, with stop in place to limit movement..... better to have controlled enviroment such as lathe,,,, but don't own one...but a friend maybe....

So has anyone come up with a relatively simplistic/inexpensive method of detrmining RPM..... think I remember a post by "Westy??" that offered a $30/$40 kit of some sort..... I think the Blond is affecting my memory...

Richard

ps..Blond laws supercede all Murphy laws.... you have it easy if you only have to deal with murphy's laws!!! ;-)
82 1.6 N/A
83 1.6 N/A
84 1.6 N/A
82 FORD 3610 Diesel Tractor
82 CASE 580D Loader/Backhoe w/Cummins
83 IH 274 Tractor w/Mitsubishi Diesel
88 Chevy C-70 w/Cat 3208
2000 Toro 223D Groundmaster w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2000 John Deere 4600
2003 MAGNUM Light Tower/6KW Generator w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2003 Mitsubishi Fuso Truck
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I saw a laser tach for about $40 in one of my catalogs.

.... I couldn't find it but saw one in eastwood catalog for about $90
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

Post by jettaman8691 »

Hey Libby, thanks to your great picture of the modification of the out-bolt, I was able to locate an old one, have it drilled and tapped out, and made useful for testing the injector pump pressure. Thankfully, my old turbo pump hits around 48# at 1000 rpm.

This forum is the best.
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

Fatmobile, I checked out the photo tach at eastwood online, and it looks like the perfect solution to checking pump pressure at a given rpm in or out of the car; the $40 model would be a bit 'more perfect' though, if you run across it again.

Two weeks later: found a photo tach for $27 including shipping; it is so easy to use! In the garage or in the vehicle, turning the pump speed up to 1000 rpm and setting the pressure at 75psi is so simple. By the way all four of the old pumps I have checked so far were significantly below the specified pressure, 10 to 20 pounds low.

Steve
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

Ive been reading this post over lately. Would anybody be able to confirm a couple of things for me?

I have an old out bolt from an NA pump. So I just drill and tap a hole in it so that I can screw in a pressure gauge?

The pressure/rpm values given here are correct regardless of type of aspiration?

I probably will not do anything but get the old bolt drilled and tapped for the next little while. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Last edited by mattbondy on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

TAWNEY..... where did you score a $27 laser tach..... I don't think you're in competition with Jack on this one so you can probably post that info here... ;-)

Richard
82 1.6 N/A
83 1.6 N/A
84 1.6 N/A
82 FORD 3610 Diesel Tractor
82 CASE 580D Loader/Backhoe w/Cummins
83 IH 274 Tractor w/Mitsubishi Diesel
88 Chevy C-70 w/Cat 3208
2000 Toro 223D Groundmaster w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2000 John Deere 4600
2003 MAGNUM Light Tower/6KW Generator w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2003 Mitsubishi Fuso Truck
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

Just do a search on ebay for photo tach; there are actually lots of them in that price range; very useful considering the low cost!

Steve
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Photo tach I got from Princess auto comes with batteries, very accurate and under 50 bucks. But then again no Princess auto in the States, how do you guys survive without Princess Auto? Hey Canadian guys, is it not the DIY superstore? I get lots of ideas just walking into the store, just if I was not so damn lazy!
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

Princess auto is pretty incredible. They sell cheap tools under their power fist line which can be exchanged without a receipt for as long as they carry that product.
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

IP pressures.

Post by hagar »

hagar sex YES The Princess is THE superstore for DIE types like hagar.

Rats I missed a fantastic sale of Surplus VOW seats ---by one day --cry cry.

That is Kanadian Snail Mail for us.

hagar.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Hagar I have two of those VW seats you speak of from princess auto and made a seat track out of the old 79 rabbit seat tracks, they are Vw ones and are THE same as Vw rabbits, they cost me 99 bucks each, I don't need them anymore so anyone in the Regina Area passing thru message and they can be your for the price of FREE!! They are grey vinyl one has 20,000kms sit time and the other maybe 5,000kms if that, so they cushions are like new(its FREE why am I rambling!!)
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

[quote="
So has anyone come up with a relatively simplistic/inexpensive method of detrmining RPM..... think I remember a post by "Westy??" that offered a $30/$40 kit of some sort..... I think the Blond is affecting my memory...

Richard

ps..Blond laws supercede all Murphy laws.... you have it easy if you only have to deal with murphy's laws!!! ;-)[/quote]

Get a gasser witth a rev counter. Park it up to your diesel. Attach a cheap strobe to the gasser snowpeg mark on the sprocket of your choice. Use an assistant to change gasser revs to agreed indicated speeds. Match diesel speeds by pulling on pump lever. [Maybe second assistant to mark uncalibrated home made tach... Heck have tach inside engine compartment and make notes on scale... Or Something like that :roll:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
rallydiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by rallydiesel »

NOOB HERE: If your pump internal pressure is low, would getting a new transfer assembly (rotor, vanes and stator plate) be the best fix? This is assuming there are no leaks.
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

The transfer pump would worsen the problem. In a recent post I can't locate right now, Andrew pointed out that the advance mechanism in the pump operates off of the pressure difference between the internal pressure and the pressure at the fuel inlet, (inside the pump, the fuel from the spring side of the advance mechanism returns to the inlet,) so if you increase the pressure at the inlet you will decrease the pressure difference, and the timing will be more retarded than before.

Found it after the fact:
A lift pump will not assist the internal pressure situation, in fact it will often exacerbate it. The advance of the dynamic timing is dependent on the pressure differential between the pump inlet and the point just after the vane pump. Therefore if a lift pump is added before the pump inlet it will increase the pressure before the inlet and therefore reduce the pressure differential, consequently decreasing the dynamic advance.

Andrew