Will the diesel run on Olive Oil?

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

WarEaglemtn
Glow Plug

Will the diesel run on Olive Oil?

Post by WarEaglemtn »

Have a chance at a few 55 gallon drums of extra virgin olive oil. Can this be mixed with diesel fuel and used in the 82 Caddy?

I know when it was introduced Rudolpy Diesel ran his engine on peanut oil. I read of many using veggie oil products also. If the engine can use the olive oil, or possibly canola or sunflower oil, does it have to be pure or can it be mixed with diesel fuel?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You should do some google searches and check out sites like greaseworks.org, etc. A vw diesel will easily run long term on pure (filtered) veggie oils (some better than others) even waste ones as long as they are filtered properly and pre-heated to 150*f or more prior to being injected into the engine. They can be run unheated and diluted with diesel with varying degrees of success and problems.

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

move

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm moving this to the biofuels fora.
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

extra vign olive oil if it is good quality oil is too valueable to use for diesel replacement fuel, beside extra virgin oil oil probably isn't processed enough to meet quality we need for use in diesels.
It could be used but why use a great cooking oil for fuel?
It would need to be degummed, dewatered, and filtered. I personally filter my waste vegetable oil to 1 micron. the Extra Virgin Oil oil means it was cold pressed and minanally filtered depending on who is saying it.

If you can get the few 55 gallon drums of the oil is it edible oil? I would get one drum just for eating purposes and make christmas gifts for everyone I knew.
but seriously olive oil isn't that good to burn. extra virgin has too much stuff in it.
Later Mark
1981 VWDasher Diesel
WVO conversion sept 27,2006
Single tank conversion
12v injector line heaters, coolant fuel filter heater, and 12v fuel line heater
WarEaglemtn
Glow Plug

Post by WarEaglemtn »

If it will work I would rather use it as fuel. Eating the stuff gives me the s***s and that ain't comfortable. Would rather burn it if I can. Getting 300 gallons of the stuff free makes it even more attractive.
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

It will burn just how good is the question, I think as long as you filter it to 5 microns before you use it and dewater it. But I would research it more. Much more than I have done. 300 gallons for free is hard to pass up.

Later mark
1981 VWDasher Diesel
WVO conversion sept 27,2006
Single tank conversion
12v injector line heaters, coolant fuel filter heater, and 12v fuel line heater