Found A Vanagon

Moderator: Fatmobile

hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Found A Vanagon

Post by hjalbert »

I have a chance to buy a Vanagon. It has a 1.6 TD in it, I did not think to ask about the transmission. The body has no rust, And the owner says it has no blowby, leaks no oil, and is reliable. The bad news is that the van is in Phoenix, And I am in NC. We are from there, and my wife wants to visit her friend, but that is a long drive in an unknown vehicle. Any tips? I think the price is right, under $2000.
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Don't but it!

Andrew

PS. What's the seller's phone number??? :?:
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

I was thinking about asking you to go look at it for me, But i kinda thought you would say that there was no way it would make the trip back, only maybe as far as Flagstaff. 8)
1980 two door dasher
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You're onto me... :wink:

Seriously, if you do come get it, swing a couple hours North and a few thousand feet up for a visit.

Andrew
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

We are really debating it, first off I would have to make sure it is a turbo diesel block and head. Did they even offer TDs in 82? I know they did not in A1 cars. He said the timing belt is good, but I like a new one. Also, I am in no condition to be fixing an engine on the side of the road (three broken ribs from accident). I have allways wanted one, but is it really worth it? The owner says it gets 30mpg when you drive it lightly. What can I expect from this van, assuming it has stock trans? (top speed, comfortable cruising speed etc.)
1980 two door dasher
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I don't know of any way to tell if it is an original turbo head without pulling it. No TD Vanagons were EVER offered in North America. It's not worth it (what's the guy's number?) Yup 30 MPG. Top speed with the stock tranny would be about 60-65MPH. It will do that easily power-wise, but above the high revs will cause you to toss a rod before long. BANG.

Andrew