1000W FrostHeater

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Hangar5
Glow Plug

1000W FrostHeater

Post by Hangar5 »

I'm looking for "block heater" options for my daughters Jetta. She has a short drive to school and has arrived before any hot collant starts flowing. The in-line heater at TdiHeater.com is one option. 1000 Watts seems like a lot though. Anyone have any experience with the TdiHeater or have other suggestions.?
'86 Golf
'97 Passat
Dornier Do27
DutchAussie
Glow Plug

Re: 1000W FrostHeater

Post by DutchAussie »

Hangar5 wrote:I'm looking for "block heater" options for my daughters Jetta. She has a short drive to school and has arrived before any hot collant starts flowing. The in-line heater at TdiHeater.com is one option. 1000 Watts seems like a lot though. Anyone have any experience with the TdiHeater or have other suggestions.?
Hanger,

did you get any replies to this question?
Regards,

Arie

Australian VW Caddy Website:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~avdw

Australian VW Caddy Forum:

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php ... utchaussie
coke

Post by coke »

I believe the typical block heater is around 1400-1500 watts, and that is the one that's installed in one of the freeze plug holes. It'll help with warmup but none-the-less, these engines don't generate an awful lot of heat I can usually drive 5-8 miles before its near operating temperature, and it takes about 30 minutes of idling to warm up.
Binkie65
Glow Plug

Post by Binkie65 »

Doe's anyone have any experience with these inline heaters?

I just bought a 02 Jetta TDI and was looking to install one before the Alberta winter sets in.
TDI newbie
Tom Poplin
Glow Plug

Post by Tom Poplin »

I have long used freeze plug heaters in older diesels. They are cheap(about $20 @ carquest),long lasting, and fairly easy to install. I use a Christmas tree timer and have it come on 2 hrs. before i need it. works great!

Tom Poplin :)