Selling my 85 Golf

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

Snedly
Diesel Freak

Selling my 85 Golf

Post by Snedly »

Edit: This car is sold. Thanks for all the response.
The time has come to part ways with an old friend. Below is what I wrote up for if I put the car on e-bay. Click on link below for pictures

This car has been my daily driver for a couple years now and has been a very reliable and inexpensive ride. I gotta sell because I'm insuring to many things and now I'll be adding one more when my daughter starts driving.

New Concord, Ohio

Serious inquires please.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased this little fuel miser in the spring of 2005 and am the third owner. I know the first two owners and that they kept very good maintenance on the car. Since I have owned it I have fixed all rust areas (mostly surface rust). There are three places where the rust had gone through which I sand blasted, coated and covered with metal. I sand blasted all the rusty areas to remove all traces of rust. I then painted the car. I am not a professional painter by any means, there are a couple runs here and there but looks pretty good over all. I have been through this car from one end to the other and replaced repaired everything questionable, these things are: Both front wheel bearings and left rear inner and outer wheel bearing. Right rear inner and outer wheel bearing appeared new. Added passenger side mirror, new front strut towers, new thermo fan switch, new ignition switch, all new glow plugs, new timing belt, new O rings in injection pump, new valve cover gasket, new rear brake pads, new rear wheel cylinders, new master cylinder, replaced worn shifter linkage, new passenger side emergency brake cable, new water pump including the hard to get to O ring behind the injection pump, new thermostat, new alt. and AC belts, new aftermarket horn, new air filter, new Bosch fuel filter, new battery. Exhaust is in good condition. Doesn’t leak a drop of oil.
Car has power steering, power brakes, rear window defogger and wiper, intermittent windshield wipers, third brake light.

The first owner had a new head put on at 90000 miles.

I charged the AC and it worked all summer very well but I noticed recently that it isn’t as cold so it probably needs recharged which means there is most likely a slight leak that shouldn’t be to hard to locate.

I ran over a nail and had to replace a tire, the service station who did the work put the wrong size tire on and I didn’t notice it until I went to rotate them. There are 3 155’s and one 165 size tire, they are all 60 to 70 % tread.

In the pictures you will see that I have wired the glow plugs separately so that if I ever have trouble with them I can check them individually, there are also redundant glow plug and starter switches just ahead of the gear shift that I put in while I was waiting for the new switch. When I put the new switch in I no longer needed the redundant switches but decided to keep them in there. They are not needed and can be taken out if you want. The other thing is a cup holder I made.

There are some minimal dents on the body (see pics)

When I purchased the car the odometer didn’t work and by me repairing it the numbers got mixed up so the mileage showing is not actual, the car has approximately 160000 miles.

The car includes service records to 1996, original owners manual, a Bentley service manual, original window sticker from the dealer.

This car has been my daily driver since I’ve owned it and it has never let me down, very fun to drive, starts very well in the cold ( 10 degrees is the lowest so far). This would be a very good car for someone who commutes as it will get between 40 to 45 MPG city, 45 and 50 MPG highway. This would also make a good vegetable oil car. It is in very good mechanical condition, no leaks and very clean. If you need me to take an additional picture I will and I will post my phone number in privet e-mail, I will make every attempt to be as up front and honest about any concerns you may have about the car so PLEASE ASK ME. SERIOUS BIDDERS ONLY! The reason I’m selling is because since my daughter will be driving soon I will have to many vehicles on the road and I need a pick-up truck.
[/img]
1985 Golf diesel/4 door http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208145
1993 Honda Civic
2004 Honda Accord
1998 Chevy 2500 (HO 454)
Assorted campers and boats