starting problem, will not always crank continuously

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

92ecod
Glow Plug

starting problem, will not always crank continuously

Post by 92ecod »

Hi,
As of lately, my 92 ecodiesel, will not always crank continuously when I try to start it. It mostly is a problem when it is cold, like this morning 10f. It cranks a few times and then seems to disengage. After repeated glow plug cycling, I usually can get it started. What is going on here? Could it be some sort of relay or an electrical connection? It has been an intermitent problem, it started before cold weather. but seems to be getting worse lately.
Thanks Rich
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Might check the power and ground connections between the battery and starter and the chassis. I added a new ground wire from the tranny mount bracket over to one of the bellhousing bolts on my '82. Really helped with the starter operation.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Yup, need all the current you can muster, especially on those cold mornings.

If the starter is running fine but disengaging from the flywheel I'd suspect the starter itself... particularly the drive/clutch assembly. As I recall the Bentley covers some proceedures in terms of disassembly... I usually pull it, clean/lube, and if it still acts up replace... rebuilts are not overly expensive and the starter is one of those parts that works extra hard on a diesel... particularly when it's cold. If it's the original starter in a 92 it probably doesn't owe you much... both my 86 diesel and 92 gas have had at least one new starter in them each.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs