Injector Pump for 1990 Jetta 1.6

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

cornjuggler
Glow Plug

Injector Pump for 1990 Jetta 1.6

Post by cornjuggler »

G"Day all,

I 'm hoping someone can help me with a decision to make. I've got a leaky injector pump that needs to be rebuilt. My options are :

1. Have exisitng pump rebuilt at a cost of about $400

2. Buy new (rebuilt) pump for about same price

3. Buy a used pump w/o apparent leaks for around $200

Points to consider: I'm low on funds and need this car to be as reliable as possible. I run biodiesel through occasionally, whenever I get time to make it. And eventually I will install the 2nd tank to run SVO.

It's got about 230,000 miles but runs like a champ.

Thanks much,

Bill
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

I would go with the rebuilt pump. Get a rebuilt pump that is rebuilt by someone who only rebuilds VW Pumps. My dad got his pump rebuilt once and now it will never shut off without popping the clutch in fifth. He has tried everything to get it to shut off with the key. If you go the cheaper route, the pump will most likely leak because of the ULSD. You can see the evidence in this forum how it has made everyone's pump leak. I know all 5 VW diesels in my family had to have the pump rebuilt because of the ULSD. So, you will pay $200 for something that may only last you a year (if that) before it starts to leak. Or you can spend twice as much with seals design with the ULSD in mind and it should last you for 200,000 miles. If you plan on keeping this car, I would spend the extra dough.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

seals

Post by Fatmobile »

You can pull the old pump and put the new one on?
Can you change your own seals?
... for less than $30.
There are links in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum, to injection pump posts. They'll give you a good idea of what it takes.
cornjuggler
Glow Plug

Post by cornjuggler »

Well, I was under the impression that re-sealing a pump is a task best left to professionals. I think I will buy the seal kit and a new pump and try my hand at it. If succesful I'll have two pumps...

thanks for the help.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yes, all the professionals will tell you that you shouldn't do it yourself, especially considering that it costs $30 in parts, takes about an hour and they charge $$$$$$$$$$$...

Andrew
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

Just in passing,
If, as you suggest, you're considering switching
to vegetable oil, at some future date, there's a
company called Greaseworks (www.greaseworks.org)
that sells Viton injection pump seal kits for cars
converted to veg. oil.
The kits are a little more expensive ($45US), but it
might be worth your while to give that a thought.
They also sell the Viton hoses for the same application.
I think they'e out on the west coast (Oregon?)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Vegetable oil doesn't do anything to any type of rubber. It's biodiesel that eats rubber.

Andrew
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

Oh, sorry.
I guess I misunderstood.
cornjuggler
Glow Plug

Post by cornjuggler »

So Andrew,

You're saying I could do this in an hour for $45 (the viton way)?

I guess I should look into it more, but don't you need specialized tools? dust free air?

Thanks
Bill
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I'm saying that if you're experienced in pulling apart and putting together a pump then you could reseal it in an hour. Count on significantly more time than that if you are new. Removing and installing the pump is extra as well.

Andrew
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

You don't need any special tools to reseal a pump (OK, there's one wierd 3-sided socket wrench that you can grind yourself or buy off e-Bay... some kits even come with it) but you will need special tools (about $100 worth) to set the timing once you reinstall your new pump.

Doing the timing is not hard either, and if you search there are lots of how-tos on the web... but there is no substitute for doing it right.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
inmytree
Diesel Freak

Post by inmytree »

I went with option #1. I followed the old adage "a man's got to know his limitations"...

I'm happy with the results. Yeah, it costs some cash, but you generally get what you pay for, which is a professionally rebuilt and tested pump, with warrenty...

please note, I'm not knocking the other options, I just went with what was best for me and my skillset at the time...

good luck...
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Yup, for lots of people overhauling the pump is the "final frontier" in their assention to diesel guru. The bible of all things Volkswagen (the Bentley manuals) specifically contain no details on the pump other than simple troubleshooting.

My opinion is that if you're pretty comfortable around the Bentley and would have little trouble pulling the engine or setting your timing for instance you probably have enough chops to figure out how to rebuilt a pump based on searching thru threads. If you're more of a cookbook kinda guy that likes pictures and detailed step-by-step proceedures it might not be worth the risk... if you get it wrong it could be *very* expensive to remediate at your local VW shop.

Then again, it's only money !!!!

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
cornjuggler
Glow Plug

Post by cornjuggler »

I actually have a German mechanic friend who is doing the work, and though he knows nearly everything about these cars, he doesn't want to do this job himself. But I have another small problem I wanted to ask you guys.

I have strong reason to believe that the engine is not the original and the numbers on the block are badly rusted. It looks like it reads ME as the first 2. The pump also has something called the Boost Pressure Enrichment Housing on top of it, and I just wanted to make sure this is in fact a 1.6 Non Turbo engine with a regular injector pump. The Bently manual says something about these housings only being on Turbo engines. Any ideas on conclusive identiifcation?

Thanks again.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

ME is a non-turbo block. MF is the turbo block.

The boost enrichment and the altitude compensation pump look almost identical. Double check the engine code. Bummer if it's an ME instead of an MF as it won't have piston cooling oil squirters.

Andrew