RIP "Old Blue"

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

Post by Homer T. Coyote »

The easiest way to prevent rust is to drive that puppy, or rabbit in this case, w/ an oil leak for about a month and the undercarriage will be protected. :shock: :shock:
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Good point, I never really showed pictures of the bad body.
Probably a little hard to admit that I was driving around in a car this close to falling apart :oops:
That's the good side,... :shock:

Here's the side that fell apart:
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I welded the corners on and glued the rear panel on with panel adhesive:

I don't have pictures yet but I am starting to put it back together. The old fuel lines looked great so I reused them, the brake lines looked great except for one spot so I put new brake line on, from the pressure regulator to the rear rubber lines so far.
Fuel tank is back in and most of the vents and fills are connected.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Fatmobile wrote:What's wrong with this picture?

Well, whats wrong with it? Dont leave me hangin!
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Oh yeah, one of the bolts taht holds the rear end on is missing.
I went to unbolt it and the stud turned in the hole.
I had to cut a slot in the end and use a screwdriver to hold it still while I unbolted it.
I have it sticking back through the hole again and will weld it back in place.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Fatmobile wrote:Oh yeah, one of the bolts taht holds the rear end on is missing.
Just leave it out it'll be fine. :roll: :lol:
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

After a little reseach on the vortex, I found out the head of the bolt can be gotten to from inside the car,... it was covered by tape.
I got the hole saw out and started cutting before I saw the tape so there was a little extra to patch up.... that blurry weld, top left.
I'm getting pretty good at filling holes.

I am about to put the suspension and wheels back on so I took one last picture of the underside, with the tank, exhaust, shifter, new brake and fuel lines, bead blaster and painted control arms with new bushings and ball joints (It's getting heavy),... but,.. I forgot to take the lens cover off so I'll snap another one tomorrow.

I took the heater box apart, cleaned all the mouse crap/piss out of it and did this mod to it:
http://members.toast.net/mahoney/heaterbox.html
...so I can have heat out the side vents when I want.

One of our members (I think it's bryankwalton) got a bad diesel in a Rabbit. I think the previous owner over heated it.
Anyway he was parting it out so I saved a bunch compared to a new windshield and a bunch of small stuff, some exhaust pieces.... before the official partout.
I posted an ad on the vortex; WTB a windshield for an '84 Rabbit in Iowa or something like that. I had people from California,... and Hawaii wanting to sell me a windshield :shock: :roll: Bryan was glad to see the post because he would never be able to sell /ship a windshield over the internet
After it's back on it's wheels I'm thinking; install the heater box then the engine bay and front end wiring, followed by the dash, then the windshield .... followed by doors/hatch, engine.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Here's the last picture of the 4 door on it's side:
Now it's too heavy to lift.
The rear end is bolted up, wheels on the ground.
The front suspension is on and I'm going to mess with the calipers a little,... make sure the bleeders work and everything is moving right.
Master cylinder is hooked up, bleeding the brakes is moving up the list.
I have front tires and rims, just need to have them joined. Then I can roll it around.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Fatmobile wrote: ...so I can have heat out the side vents when I want.
Thats neat! Awesome job. Keep up the good work.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been getting a little sumthin done on this car every day.
All doors and hatch are on.
The engine is in, axles are on. Only thing left to do under the car is some shifter lever adjusting.
I put a swaybar on the rear,... it's mounted.
I rebuilt the front calipers and all the brakes are bled and work well.
I was flushing the brakes (lines not connected to calipers or wheel cylinders) and couldn't get any brake fluid to flow from the left rear brake line.
I got the fluid to run clear at both the fronts so I hooked up the calipers and bled them. I have a pressure bleeder, filled the resevoir and pressureised it. Opened the front bleeders and let it flow until no more bubbles.
Same with the right rear.
I opened the lines at the master cylinder and there was flow so I figured it was the proportioning valve. I broke the 19mm valve loose and backed it out a ways. Chunky brake fluid flowed from it. When I screwed it back in fluid was pushing it's way out the left rear line. I have brakes.
I'm putting fenders on now. Getting them ready for mudflaps. Once that's done, I can put the wheels on and set it on the ground.
I'd rather roll around on solid ice and snow,... than slop, so the cold weather has made working on the car comfortable.
I bought plates for it
Tomorrow looks like a good day, without much else on my list. I should get alot done on it.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

For not having a garage to work in you are doing one hell of a great job! :)
I have to add that you are crazy for putting so much work into a car that looks pretty far gone, but you have to look at the learning experince you will get out of it and also what you will have in the end= one solid bunny!
I am doing the same thing as well(not a on a Vw) and without a rotisserie its a real pain in the neck doing lots of overhead welding.
I see you get around that by rolling your car around.
At least one of us is motivated to work on their projects!
With my new daugther #2 being born on monday and selling the house at the same time I can not even think of opening the garage door and touching a wrench!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, I don't think I'd do this again. Lots of projects that got put aside for this.
It would be much more fun, and take much less time if I'd just take a road trip to the PNW or down south to pick up a solid Rabbit.
I wanted to learn how to weld and fabricate and the only way I know how is to spend hours with a welder, grinder and cut off wheel. No point having a pile of metal stuck together when I'm done.
This way when I'm done I'll have my solid 4 door. It won't be a show car but it will be on the road for a long time to come.
It's great to be able to confidently break out the welder when I have an exhaust problem.

I finished the shifter linkage stuff today. It's nice and tight.
Clutch cable is in and adjusted.
Exhaust C-clips are on, I have one joint underneath that will need welded before the exhaust is complete. I'll get it running and up on ramps before I do that.
I used some conveyer belt to make big front mudflaps for it, got the driver's side fender, fender liner and mudflap put on.
I rattle canned the rims black and had some snows mounted.
The passenger side was too close to the van to work comfortably so I put the wheels on and rolled it farther away.

I'll try to get some pics. It's a rough looking car. I might name her Tina patina because of the thin layer of film that's still on it/her. :lol:
...but I like the way it looks. Kinda beastly.
I went with the hood from Old Blue, blue hatch and rear panel.
One more fender, liner, mudflap and it'll be time to finish under the hood and start making the interior friendly.
A couple cold days left then it gets up around 27F for highs, and sunny. With a heat spell like that, it'll start getting sloppy so I'm glad to be done under the car.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I forgot to congradulate you on the fresh baby girl.
Give her a goochy goo for me. :)

Headlight wiring harness is back in.

Some of the stuff is going back in slowly because I am upgrading/modding them.

The heater box is getting modded to supply heat to the side vents when the defroster is on.
http://members.toast.net/mahoney/heaterbox.html

It is also getting the side cut out so I don't have to pull the whole heaterbox to change the heater core.

The rear lights have been changed to small tails and the hatch from Old Blue has a wiper so Old Blues rear wiring will have to be spliced to match the '84 fuse box.

The engine bay wiring harness is getting some better connectors for the sensors and the injection pump wire will plug onto the stop solenoid like the A2s, instead of being bolted to it.
The glow plug setup will look like the setup on my GTI project. No heavy wires going through the firewall. Instead they will go to a Ford starter solenoid, that will be triggered by a stock glow plug relay and a momentary push button switch.
Extra wires running through the firewall will powerup extra lights in the dash. One will show when the glowplugs have power, one for the coolant level sender.
I'll be sure to post some pics of the upgrades.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Here's a couple pics of it on the ground and rolling:

The hatch isn't all the way closed.

I should have taken the picture before the sun went behind the house. I'll get better pictures later
Notice the extra fat mudflaps?
Oh, and my new(ish) front bumper towbar. I've about walked into it a coupel times.

I'm still messing with the wiring. Much of it will be just like the GTI's.
Stock glow plug relay, triggering a Ford starter solenoid. With a momentary switch option. I'll try to document it better this time.
Manual fan switch.
A few more splices and the rear wiring harness will be done.
There was something cut out of the dash wiring harness. Ended up being the headlight switch.... so more splicing there,... or I might just grab another fusebox/dash harness.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I messed with wiring all day but I think it's ready to install.
I wanted the stock glow plug relay to trigger a Ford starter solenoid. The power to the glow plug relay usually comes direct from the battery with it's own dedicated wire/cable. I didn't want that fat wire running into the cabin, Hagar's suggestion so I needed another source.

There are 3 spots in a row on the fusebox that aren't used for anything and I had a spare fusebox with a melted section I could pull parts from.
This is the first time I've tried this but I removed a 4 linked section from the junk box, 1 fat wire powers 4 fuses,... and removed the one Batt connector from the good box so there was 4 empty spots in a row. I cut the wire from the 1 Batt connector and soldered it to the 4 buss.

The top spot is still a place to plug into the fusebox for unfused 12V, direct from the battery.
The 2nd spot down is now fused for the glow plug relay, to power the starter solenoid. It will also power a manual glow plug button... that triggers the Ford solenoid.
3rd spot down supplys fused power to an extra wire going to the rear of the car. I always thought a cig lighter plug in the back would be nice.
I've got so many new fuse spots I haven't figured out what to do with them all yet. :lol:

Extra wires going into the engine bay are power to the Ford starter solenoid
...and a wire from it's output to the upshift light on the dash. The yellow glow plug light on the dash is just a timer light, doesn't tell you if the glow plugs have power. Someone on here suggested using the upshift light for this. I sure don't intend to use it as an upshift light and it leaves the easy LED spot open for the coolant level sender warning light.
Oh yeah, that's another wire I need to run. :)
I have some long wires left over from the original rear harness that I'll use for controlling the vegy solenoid.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.