Struggling: Ideas from the Gallary Please! 82 Caddy Diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Re: Gallery speaks.

Post by VanagonMark »

As to compression ratio for a diesel ? ---IMHO 23 to 1 is too high.----I like about 17 to 1 ----a lot better.

hagar.

PS : happy hagar and his darling Bondo.[/quote]

I take it for granted that given a choice of head gaskets, from a 4 notch to the 5, you would go with the thicker one just to lower the compression a bit?

I just so happen to have a complete takeoff top end from an 86 A-2. I briefly had it on my caddy
found the downpipe header was slightly off over the OEM non turbo

but listening to that little turbo spin up was fun. Bought the whole top end including the oil pan , intake, boots, etc etc etc, now wished I had taken the whole engine

1/2 off day at Pck A Part in San Jose, 87 bucks out the door--plus core
might build me a block someday for a Vanagon Diesel, with chrome rings of course

I have an old 1959 Ford Fliptop 312 that we put chrome rings in about 20 years ago, I think they JUST seated last week......
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

idhoho wrote:Andrew and Svend~ I dare not argue with your correctness on the nozzles being shot with Sooooo many miles on them. I too have seen the pistons after being run with dribbley injectors!

No fight here. Just attitude seemed a bit testy! It seems that this fellow didn't notice anyway :wink:

Speaking of dribbley injectors;
You know why girls don't like basketball players? They always dribble before they shoot! Slam Dunk :oops:
I didn't mean to be testy. But, IMO injector nozzles are the most often neglected maintenance item that causes the most damage to these little engines. I have a car here in my yard that needed new pistons and rebored because the previous owner never changed the nozzles. It would have easily just gotten a rering and probably not have even needed that if not for the neglect of the nozzles. The trouble is that even with peeing streams, dribbles and extremely low breaking pressures the engine will often still seem to run fine and get decent mileage. It's just that the piston s and cylinders are getting wrecked. Stepping off the soapbox now...

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

stroker

Post by Fatmobile »

: 7 years ago while overseas with my GTI I happened upon a guy who had several sets of 1800 cc diesel piston sets. Along with cranks that are directly replacement to the OEM.
I've heard of 1.7 cc VW diesel piston sets but not 1.8.
With those, it's the diameter of the piston that changes, not the stroke.
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Re: stroker

Post by VanagonMark »

Fatmobile wrote:
: 7 years ago while overseas with my GTI I happened upon a guy who had several sets of 1800 cc diesel piston sets. Along with cranks that are directly replacement to the OEM.
I've heard of 1.7 cc VW diesel piston sets but not 1.8.
With those, it's the diameter of the piston that changes, not the stroke.
These were racing pistons that came from someone I knew in the Netherlands about 7-8 years back. We were overseas campaigning several Westmoreland GTI's when I stumbled upon this team that had this old 77 Diesel turbo they were racing, and retiring. The excess parts included these sets. Along with a right hand drive 78 that I use around town when I get in the mood.

Someone somewhere along the line had these sets, rods, and cranks built. For what ever reason these were not used. There are no markings and no names.

Luck have it, I got a hold of 7 sets. They makes the engine a 1805cc from a 1600 block.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Gallery speaks.

Post by hagar »

hagar from the GALLERY : Teach you did say 1982 VW 1.6L NA diesel ?

hagar sez --pay close attention to Andrew-------I have known about him for a long , long time --and he was NEVER a provocative person ----TESTY or whatever------- now for hagar the Horrible ? --he is a different kettle of COD. ----Norwegian COD. at 17 going on 75 ---he is outspoken , Opinionated ----and an activist for the so called POOR.

IMHO ---in my humble opinion ----the 1984 VW Rabbit 1.6L Turbo---Garrett Turbo ----is one fine diesel..

and yes I use only the most notches in gaskets-----regardless of piston above deck ---measures.

Read the SAE papers on that model ---it is impressive ---IMHO. ---Plasma coated valves , stronger crank ,,nozzle spray on pistons.----the list goes on.

Is the OLD 1.5L NA still a good engine ----? ----IMHO it is.

hagars 1.5 L ---a number of them will NEVER be TUNED for more than 40 BHP -----they are DELICATE -----like most VW diesels.----it is NOT a real diesel ----it is a Gasser mod.------read my lips DO NOT USE Torque. ---use REVS.----they just love anything in the upper band----5000 -10 000 ? those krauts must have some mind-blowing way of balance ?.

hagar.

PS : and teach ----forget about being PEDANTIC in here.---it will NOT work.
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Re: Gallery speaks.

Post by VanagonMark »

Is the OLD 1.5L NA still a good engine ----? ----IMHO it is.

hagars 1.5 L ---a number of them will NEVER be TUNED for more than 40 BHP -----they are DELICATE -----like most VW diesels.----it is NOT a real diesel ----it is a Gasser mod.------read my lips DO NOT USE Torque. ---use REVS.----they just love anything in the upper band----5000 -10 000 ? those krauts must have some mind-blowing way of balance ?.

hagar.

PS : and teach ----forget about being PEDANTIC in here.---it will NOT work.[/quote]

retired teach...(admin actually more money at retirement)(and safer)

You know anyone who has a use for a complete 1.5 head? No cracks either! I showed it to my shop, I was willing to pay to have the oil drain made larger....

but alas, :cry: it needs to find a home on top of a 1.5 not a 1.6
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

You can put the head in the Want Buy-sell-trade section of this form. Theirs quite a bit of that stuff moving on Ebay as well.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

surfcam wrote:You can put the head in the Want Buy-sell-trade section of this form. Theirs quite a bit of that stuff moving on Ebay as well.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
I was thinking about EBAY, but the scammers and tweakers get to me.
I keep thinking some day I might stumble into a really nice 1.5 car that JUST so happens to need a head....

As in always the case, 2 weeks after the head is sold/donated/tossed/
up pops a car

I might try the classified here, see whats up :?
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

There's a lot of on line places to list as well that are free. I've had better luck with them than classifieds in Alberta. Cragslist, Kijiji, Buysell.co., Google has local adds as well. Your right about Ebay and car parts its getting scary.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta