Anyone put a 1Y engine code into a vanagon???

Moderator: Fatmobile

slam_dunk
Glow Plug

Anyone put a 1Y engine code into a vanagon???

Post by slam_dunk »

I want to put an AAZ in to replace my weedy 1.6na but will have whole load of issues with turbo (manifolds, clearance, oil return etc etc) so I wandered if ayone has used the 1Y and if it is basically the same as using the AAZ without the turbo, or is it totally different. I have 5speed gearbox and diesel bellhousing. Will this engine bolt straight in and any ideas on the horsepower increase from the 47bhp of the 1.6.

Cheers.
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

I never heard of that... I like my turbo!
slam_dunk
Glow Plug

Post by slam_dunk »

Seen some 1Y engines on fleebay, the inlet manifold seems huge - this isn't a turbo right? I think it comes from a caddy SDi - I'm hoping, for simplicity, that I can just use my 1.6na manifolds and basically everything else from 1.6 too. Basically, most of the ancillary parts from my current engine are good because I've replaced them over the past two years, but the engine is making a horrible vibrating sound at about 2 - 3000 rpm - I think it's time for an upgrade, but for time reasons I need it to be a simple one...

Anyone know what's the difference (apart from the turbo) between 1Y and AAZ

Would go for AAZ and take turbo off for now (I know that's bad) bad I don't want to cut hole in engine lid for IP and worried from what I've read about AAZ crankshaft keyway probs.

Cheers
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I believe the 1Y is rated around 67 HP similar to the 1.6TD. If you use the 1.6 n/a exhaust then you will choke it a bit and so get a little less. If you were going to go that route, I would say just spring the extra bucks for the complete AAZ and install it with the 1.6 stuff. Then down the road when you realize you really do want the turbo and boost aneroid injection pump you can add those fairly easily (as you'll already have them. :wink:

Internally the AAZ and 1Y are very similar. The block of the 1Y does not have a fitting for the turbo oil return. Otherwise the blocks are the same. I have heard that ETKA lists a difference for the valves of the 1Y vs. the AAZ, but I would not be at all afraid of adding the turbo stuff to the 1Y as it does have the piston coolers.
1) How did you overcome the problem of the aaz anaroid hitting the deck lid? Can you use the 1.6na bosch injector pump instead.
2) Will the glow plugs and injectors be the same or maybe the psi in the injectors will be different. I have just had some new injectors and wouldn't mind using them if I get this aaz.
3) The exhaust setup from 1.6turbo you said would be a neat option in terms of clearance of the waste gate etc. but does this restrict the exhaust gases any, as it is a larger size engine using it?
4) Using the oil coiler on the aaz you said was insufficient. Would this damage the engine or is this just an added extra if you can cool oil more than stock levels.
5) Whats a pyrometer?
6) The crancshaft keyway that is succeptable - is there an easy way to test/look at this?
7) What would be the horsepower drop of not using the turbo and just the stock 1.6na exhaust/inlet manifolds (for now)
1 I cut a small hole in the engine decklid and then covered it with a patch of sheet metal which I riveted into place and caulked around. The square I had to cut was approx. 5" x 3". You could potentially lower the rear mounting of the carrier bars by drilling new holes and avoid that, but your engine geometry would be altered a bit.

2. The breaking pressure of the TD injectors is higher. I do not think you would have a problem if you used the 1.6 injectors, but timing would have to be retarded a little to compensate for the change in breaking pressure.

3. The exhaust manifold from a 1.6TD quantum or 1.6TD vanagon would eliminate the wastegate interference. There would not be any flow restriction to the manifolds as opposed to an AAZ one. They would be the same. The exhaust from turbo back should however be much larger than the 1.6 n/a exhaust. Custom...

4. I think that an additional oil cooler on the vanagons is really a "should" regardless of which engine you're using, but certainly moreso if running a turbo and especially if a turbo engine is not intercooled.

5. A pyrometer is a gauge that measures the exhaust temperature. It is a really good idea on any engine, but especially important on non-intercooled TD engines to keep from melting things on extended grades.

6. The "easy" way is to remove the crankshaft and have it sent off to a machine shop to be modified to accept the TDI type sprocket. The hard way is to replace the bent valves..

7. If you were running both engines entiresly stock the 1Y would be about 10 hp less than the AAZ. The AAZ however is far more tunable and safely squeezing another 30+ hp out of it would not be especially difficult or expensive.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
slam_dunk
Glow Plug

Post by slam_dunk »

Certainly does. Lots of decisions to make now.

Once again thanks for your time and effort.

Duncan.
slam_dunk
Glow Plug

Post by slam_dunk »

Just had a thought - how come the 1.6na inlet manifold will fit onto the aaz but not onto the 1Y - also, if the 1.6 exhaust fits onto either rngine, then the manifolds must be the same size where they bolt to the head. Doesn't this automatically dictate the size/rate of exhaust gas flow, as the internal diameter of the tubes must surely be the same size as the exhaust holes on the head!!!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The 1.6 manifold actually will bolt up, but the port shape is different and so will not work correctly. The same is true for bolting it to either the AAZ or the 1Y head or rather any 1.9 head even the TDIs.
here's a picture of a 1.9 intake. Notice the D-shaped ports.

here's one of a 1.6. It's from a carb gas one, but the port shape is the same. Notice the oval shape rather than D. As I mentioned before, I have seen adapters sold before to flow the oval to the D shape, but don't know off hand who sells them.

Yes, the exhaust manifold ports are the same and so will flow very similarly to the point where they join the turbo or the rest of the exhaust.

Andrew