Interesting info that may pertain to geling.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Interesting info that may pertain to geling.

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I was dicking around, search one of my alma matter's online databases, when I came on a little gem named Reducing the Viscosity of Crude Oil by Pulsed Electric or Magnetic Field. The paper discusses how to reduce this viscosity of paraffin based crude in areas like deep sea pipelines where heating may be nearly impossible, and definitely impractical.
The viscosity of crude oil increases as the temperature goes down. For paraffin-base crude oil, when the temperature passes a critical temperature, paraffin begins to crystallize into tiny particles inside the crude oil, making the viscosity increase faster. This critical temperature is usually called the wax appearing temperature (WAT). From the viscosity measurement of our sample, the curve of viscosity versus temperature had a slope change around 17 °C (Figure 5). This indicated that our sample had a WAT around 17 °C. If the temperature went below 17 °C, wax particles began to appear and raised the viscosity faster. As shown in Figure 5, the slope change was not dramatic for our sample, indicating that the paraffin content in the sample was not high, about 3-4% in weight. Our experiment with magnetic field was conducted at 10 °C, 7 °C below the WAT to ensure the existence of wax particles inside the crude oil. As shown in Figure 6, the viscosity of our sample was 40.97 cP at 10 °C. It decreased to 33.1 cP after a magnetic field of 1.33 T was applied for 50 s. Afterward, the viscosity gradually increased but remained substantially below the original value 120 min after the application of the magnetic field. The original rheological state was recovered after about 8 h. If we apply the magnetic field pulse again, the same viscosity reduction pattern shown in Figure 6 was reproduced.
Fig. 6

Now, I don't know much about magnetic fields, or the viscosity of diesel at various temperatures, and I've been up for a day so I'd rather not research this right now. But it's very interesting, because if 1.3T is doable with off the shelf equipment, and the drop in viscosity is enough to allow for free flow of otherwise gelled fuel, this could be a quick alternative to fuel warmers/etc...
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

1.3T ????

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Damn.......Where's my Flux Capacitor when I need it? :wink:
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I use to work for a big oil company. Most of the pipe lines were insulated from the well head and battery facility. They used unions with plastic insert and plastic insert for flanges. Then one end was hooked up to power and the other end grounded to a catholic bed of sacrificial metal. I was always told it was to stop the corrosion in the pipe but who knows. This company invented the cracking process that yields more gasoline out of a given quantity of crude, plastic thats good for 700 degrees, and are the biggest producer of solar cells. They have a lot of secrets that they don't talk about for competitive reasons.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

fuel line magnets

Post by Fatmobile »

Ah ha. I finally have a use for the fuel line magnets that were supposed to give me higher fuel mileage.
I found one on a parts car and I might actually use it now.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Whoa... Interesting, but not quite useful. This is what I get for posting when tired and not researching. :oops:
"Hey hon, could you run the car through the MRI for me? I'm late for work." :lol:
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Yes hagar is Gelling. ---"Dr.Scholl".

Post by hagar »

Fatmobile ---how do you ---PULSE your magnets ?

hagar.

PS : just kidding .
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

lyeinyoureye wrote:Whoa... Interesting, but not quite useful. This is what I get for posting when tired and not researching. :oops:
New information is (almost) always useful to someone somewhere. I'm sure that if each of us had a nickel for (a) all the times we posted something in a state of extreme over-enthusiasm, fatigue, or a related condition or (b) all the ideas that folks who "lurk" rather than post failed to share because they were afraid of being embarrassed, we'd be able to buy a few cases of beer, at least.
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours