My Birthday present to myself

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

My Birthday present to myself

Post by CoolAirVw »

Look what I got! Been driving almost 2 years with out it. I had one on my parts car and I took it off to put on my car but then when I crushed the car I forgot I was storing the grille in the trunk!

cost 61.00 from dealer. Doesn't come with VW emblem.

The trim peice that goes at the bottom got crushed also. It was attached to the broken grille and I put it in the trunk of the parts car also. I liked being able to open the hood without the pulling the release cable under the dash (I'll miss that).

Anybody got a blinker lens or that trim peice for me?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Almost forgot! After a recent icey freeze the wiper arms just rotated on the shafts. Couldn't get them to tighten up on the shafts. I had tried several different "riggs" trying to make them tight but nothing helped.

So I got some new ones from the dealer (37 bucks x 2)

The drivers has a nice little fairing/spoiler/wing or whatever ya want to call it. I'm not used to it yet, kinda blocks my vision maybe?? Its a little distracting like a "Grab-it." Name that MOVIE!!!

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

grill

Post by Fatmobile »

Big change. That looks alot better.
I saw a Jetta at the mechanic's here in town. It had a messed up grill too. I told him I have a spare from a big bumper but didn't know if it would fit/sit right against the small bumper.
I told him to tell his customer I had one for him to try but I don't think he'll tell him.
I don't think he wants his VW diesel customers to know me.
Last time it was at his shop the hood was open and there was obviously oil coming out the dipstick so I'm surprised this car is still on the road. I'm just waiting for this hydro head engine to die.
Where are you at?
I was thinking about moving this to the classifieds, but it's more like you are showing off your new grill. :lol:
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

I want a grille like that...

One that disappears, then, reappears,

then, disappears, then, reappears, then

disappears, then....and so on.

Scare the daylights out if the beighbours'

dog. (If I had neighbours and if they had

a dog) :roll:
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Fatmobile you asked where I am so I updated my profile.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

where

Post by Fatmobile »

Hey, not real far away.
Kansas City.
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

oil coming out the dipstick hole

Post by BlueDog »

Last time it was at his shop the hood was open and there was obviously oil coming out the dipstick so I'm surprised this car is still on the road.

What does that mean? What problem is that a sign of?
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

oil

Post by Fatmobile »

Oil coming out the dipstick usually means blowby is increasing block pressure and pushing oil out.
The restrictors in the intake limit the amount of air that is allowed to leave the block so pressure builds up.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

CoolAirVw wrote: Its a little distracting like a "Grab-it." Name that MOVIE!!
Ooops! It wasnt a "Grab-it" it was an "Opti-Grab" Name that movie!!
Richard
85 Jetta TD

bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

duffer wrote:I want a grille like that...

One that disappears, then, reappears,

then, disappears, then, reappears, then

disappears, then....and so on.

Scare the daylights out if the beighbours'

dog. (If I had neighbours and if they had

a dog) :roll:
He also adds a few inches to the overall width of the car. Now THAT's impressive.
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

CoolAirVw wrote:
CoolAirVw wrote: Its a little distracting like a "Grab-it." Name that MOVIE!!
Ooops! It wasnt a "Grab-it" it was an "Opti-Grab" Name that movie!!
The Jerk... Steve Martin at his best.

Two other good lines for us budding mechanics:

"I can fix those shocks for you mister "

"He hates cans !!! "
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs