Installing a Header on a diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Installing a Header on a diesel

Post by VanagonMark »

I just got handed a nice 8v A-1 header. Not too sure who made this header pipe but it has the 02 connection down near the collector. Obviously need to put in a plug to block it off for a diesel....

Idea:

What would happen if I installed it on my Caddy 1.6 diesel?
Would the vibrations take it apart after a few miles?

And, what would happen if it was adapted to work on my Vanagon D?

Anyone have any experience with using the header pipes on a diesel?
:?:
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

It will need some sort of vibration isolation setup or it'll likely be torn apart within a year. I put one in my '81 and it lasted about 6 months. In he O2 sensor hole, try adding a pyrometer probe, that is what I am doing on the dual outlet manifold I am planning to install. Just drilled and re-tapped the hole to fit the EGT probe. Will be running the TT dual downpipe and a 2" braided flex coupling before tying into the rest of the exhaust.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

So there is a good possibility that the vibration would rip it up.....

I wonder what sort of bracing, or isolation one would need to make it viable.

Lastly, what did you notice in performance? Noise? Was it worth the effort?
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Not sure on the bracing, mine broke all the welds at the header flange. The Autotech header has flex sections in the downpipes. Or the better option, as I have heard and will be using, is the dual outlet manifold and the downpipe from Techtonics. They use double tubing at the flange to reduce cracking there and then I am adding a long braided flex hose behind the downpipe.

Did not notice a big difference on my '81, but it had a tired 1.6D engine at the time.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

I'm going to hit up my Kraut Tech today, hopefully he won't be too badly hung over and angry.

I just detest putting on those cornball C clamps on the OEM header to
exhaust manifold. Lord knows how many times I have cut my arms or smashed my fingers trying to fit those dingy clamps on to hold that exhaust header

Not to mention the aggravation --even with that spreader tool,,,,,,

:oops:
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Rather than buying the special tool for the job witch will work fine. You can take a 2â€
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

I've got that cornball spreader, which is a great little item UNTIL you begin to try to install those dumbass C clamps

No matter which position I try and get my hands in--either above or blow the car---it always is a pain

Between u-joints, socket extensions, and knuckles I usually always manage to get the C clamps on,

If it were NOT for the breaking of studs, I would use an old 1.5 header, but I seem to shear off those studs

I am going to try this time to install the header on the head BEFORE installing the head, then connect the header after installation to the exhaust pipe

never tried it but.... :wink:
GreyRabbit
Diesel Freak

Post by GreyRabbit »

I've never used the real tool but a 2" muffler clamp makes it a breeze. No difficulty at all. Off and back on in less than a minute.
'82 Rabbit Pickup - 1.6TD
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

GreyRabbit wrote:I've never used the real tool but a 2" muffler clamp makes it a breeze. No difficulty at all. Off and back on in less than a minute.
OK, you got me interested. How do you adapt the muffler clamp? I am
puzzled.

Those big C clamps take that special spreader...and are a POA. How
does the muffler clamp work on the header and exhaust manifold?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Two spring clamp headers on VW diesels.

Post by hagar »

I hagar hereby nominate the VW 2 clip down-pipe for a NOBEL price for excellence in design -and Ingenuity.

It is as simple and fast as plugging in a hair-dryer. ---NO TOOLS NEEDED ---no skinned knuckles ---nothing ---read my lips - Never seen a crack or broken weld for years .

For close to 75 years , hagar cursed and (I am not allowed to use that lingo here) swore at stupid designed rusty expensive systems----then the fog lifted --and I thank the LORD for this system.

It is so easy ---due to rubber hangers --that hagar regularly removes all the pipes for a blasting job --and recoats with the worlds best coating --( Amerikan Invention ) --and SALT will never get hagars butt.

hagar.

PS : yes I blast soot out of the pipes. ----on Bondo the pipes stay clean just like the lube.
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Re: Two spring clamp headers on VW diesels.

Post by VanagonMark »

hagar wrote:I hagar hereby nominate the VW 2 clip down-pipe for a NOBEL price for excellence in design -and Ingenuity.

It is as simple and fast as plugging in a hair-dryer. ---NO TOOLS NEEDED ---no skinned knuckles ---nothing ---read my lips - Never seen a crack or broken weld for years .

For close to 75 years , hagar cursed and (I am not allowed to use that lingo here) swore at stupid designed rusty expensive systems----then the fog lifted --and I thank the LORD for this system.

It is so easy ---due to rubber hangers --that hagar regularly removes all the pipes for a blasting job --and recoats with the worlds best coating --( Amerikan Invention ) --and SALT will never get hagars butt.

hagar.

PS : yes I blast soot out of the pipes. ----on Bondo the pipes stay clean just like the lube.

We bow to greatness. Now how about coming to Monterey, California and helping me re install my header with your fandazle whooptiee doo
C clamp replacement....

I promise to buy a Extra Value BigMac Meal
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

You just put the muffle clap inside the C-clip. Then spread the C-clip by turning turning the nuts on the clap. Of coarse you have to have the nuts the wrong side for use on a muffler. I notice the link in Tech FAQ Thread to Home made specialty tools no longer works. It would be nice to get this going again. I listen to Paradise radio from Monterey all the time. Maybe I'll catch a few waves there one day.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

I know Alberta is cold this time of year
would you get angry if I told you I was going surfing with my kids?

Yeah we use wet suits
but keeps the old man from having to say UNCLE to the kids

I took a copy of the pic of the 45 dolla C Clamp tool VWDP sells
cleaned it up a bit and might try copying it
:wink:
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

VW headers.

Post by hagar »

We bow to greatness (Teach). ----hagar sez GOOD about time. ----" the great Waldo Pepper " so why not the " Great Horrible hagar " ?----You may get off your knees there Teach in Kalifornia---------- what do you say "Chuckles" ? ---(idhoho).----looks like I redeemed myself --? EH ?.
NO ? --shucks.
Now " Chucles " has a simpler way of marking position of I P ----he uses a piece of masking tape --and cuts the line with a razor knife.--great idea IMHO.----in some ways better than Nailpolish.

For you guys who do not know ----chucles is my Literary GUARDIAN----and I am gratefull.

Being an OLD warhorse ---used to GIVING orders ---I need someone to tell me when I get --way too ARROGANT.

hagar.
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

Those of us in Kalyforna,, who possess several things that the world
generally envies us for

Arnold
Illegals
Hippies
Property Values (equity for me)

and slightly north of the PB Compound is Santa Cruz

who's city motto is: Where every old VW comes and stays...
(I might add, has the best nude beach this side of Maui)

Now I'm going surfing with the kids :wink: (albeit not buck naked)