Rusty Floorpan Repair

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Step 14: Since the new pan is now ready lets cut a hole in the floor.

Step 15: Trim the pan and check the fit in the hole.

Step 16: Repeat step 15 one hundred times. :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

Step 17: Grind the weld surfaces clean and drill some holes for "plug welds".

Step 18: Tack weld it in.

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Rusty.

Post by hagar »

Andrew in Flagstaff and ALL :-----you just have to admire this guy and his BODYWORK --EH. ?-----I have not seen a sight like this , since my last time in Danmark.-------Due to the TAXATION systems and SALT over there ---They (the Danes) have the finest body repair systems ---anywhere. -----In northern Jutland is a Totally modern Body Panel factory------ "Klokkerholm" ----and there is NO part of a Jetta or Rabbit that can NOT be fixed like brand new or better.---I took a look (real close) of a Mini Cooper or Austin Minni -----the guy had replaced the whole rear end ---trunk and all.--- as good as NEW----

Someone tell JACK --to start selling weld-in panels from "Klokkerholm" ---I shall tell the tale of how I found out about Klokkerholm---in my normal post.

hagar.
Buzz
Cetane Booster

Re: Rusty.

Post by Buzz »

hagar wrote:Someone tell JACK --to start selling weld-in panels from "Klokkerholm" ---I shall tell the tale of how I found out about Klokkerholm---in my normal post.

hagar.
The only problem with Klokkerholm is they state they will not sell to individuals or retailers... I don't know if they would sell to Jack since he would be reselling them...
1982 Diesel Rabbit
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The body work looks great to me.
The only problem with Klokkerholm is they state they will not sell to individuals or retailers... I don't know if they would sell to Jack since he would be reselling them...
Then who DO they sell to?

Andrew
Buzz
Cetane Booster

Post by Buzz »

libbybapa wrote:Then who DO they sell to?

Andrew
The only other possibility I can think of is body shops.
1982 Diesel Rabbit
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Hell, I wouldn't mind being their USA distributer! If I bought 10,000 dollars worth of inventory and set up shop do ya think they would sell to me?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Buzz
Cetane Booster

Post by Buzz »

CoolAirVw wrote:Hell, I wouldn't mind being their USA distributer! If I bought 10,000 dollars worth of inventory and set up shop do ya think they would sell to me?
Only one way to find out...
1982 Diesel Rabbit
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Klokkerholms VW replacement panels.

Post by hagar »

Buzz said --- Only one way to find out... ????
best way is to get hagar involved ------we used to get panels ---here in the BUSH ---from BOWWOW Vancouver BC. -----made by Klokkerholm ---they made fantastic replacement strut towers.-----I am fully fluent in Danish. ----will give details in my "Normal?" post.

hagar.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Finished up by treating new pan and old floor with Metal Ready then painting with Por15 grey.

Here's some pics.
New pan.

Right side

Left side

Richard
85 Jetta TD

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Almost done with this leg of the project.

I put a bunch of seam sealer on the bottom and sprayed undercoating. It's not perfect under there but should hold water out.

I layed some dynamat type insulation. I scraped the "random cloth" insulation off the rubber "mats" and reinstalled them with the old "gatorskin" peices. The stuff I reused got the car wash and lysol treatment.

A lucky trip to the "pick n pull" yard netted a nice, clean, bright, grey complete interior out of a 91! There are four minor cigarette burns but it is a nice upgrade from the dingy dark grey (which my wife calls dirty and stinky) interior that I had. Got 4 door cards, carpet, all seats, the trim I needed for the grille and a right rear door for $150.00.

So in other words my interior will soon look nice!

After the car wash and lysol treatment to the new carpet I installed it and then installed the new seats.

Front seats & carpet (notice the contrast to the original door panels and LOOK the 91 seat has tilt :D ! Nice upgrade! I'll put the new door panels in soon.

Rear seats & carpet

Richard
85 Jetta TD

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

SWEET!

Andrew
Krazy
Glow Plug

Post by Krazy »

Check out this site.

Link to competitor removed by moderator
Jack Carr
Mt. Juliet, TN
I drive a 1.6 n/a Clatterpillar
Hexar
Cetane Booster

Post by Hexar »

CoolAirVw,
Very interesting posts! Thanks for sharing!

I just found out that a big portion of the floor on my Jetta also has rust, it is in front of the driver seat, where I put my left foot on when driving, and when I push that area up from under the car, I can see the floor being pushed (wiggly) :evil: .

I am thinking to repair this (after learning how to weld of course), and I have a question for you:

where do you buy the sheet metal you used? And what is the size or thickness of the metal?

Thanks a lot!
Wenbiao
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Any hardware store has sheet metal you can use for the homemade patches.

It was 20 gauge (or maybe 22???)
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Hexar
Cetane Booster

Post by Hexar »

Thanks Richard for the quick reply!

There is a homehardware.ca store nearby, I will check it out in the weekend.

Home Depot would not have the sheet metal, would it?

thanks again!
Wenbiao