lower hose heater

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

lowflyer
Glow Plug

lower hose heater

Post by lowflyer »

Anybody had any luck with starting using a lower hose heater? I have a 4cyl. Benz and thought I`d ask you guys. Have used a ceramic 1200watt heater so far with success. Would like to put in a block heater but it sure is easier to go with the lower hose unit if it works.
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

I've got one that came on a 1.6NA engine. It works but is much slower to heat-up the engine than freezeplug heaters. I guess they aren't as hot? Anyway, unless you leave your vehicle plugged in all the time- I would recommend the block heater over a hose heater. If you keep your diesel plugged in all the time when not driving- it would be fine- possibly better as it would likely use less electricity if it is lower wattage.
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

The other problem with hose heaters is that it can be hard to get all of the hot water coming from the heater to go to the engine and not the radiator, at least the one I have used. You have to find a low radiator hose and hope it has an incline into the block using thermal convection to direct the hot water to the engine. Block, freeze plug, heaters are much better and it is right there at the cyclinder walls.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
rebuilder
Cetane Booster

Engine Heater

Post by rebuilder »

I use a Katz 300 watt heater installed in the bypass line that runs from the coolant cylinder head outlet to the top most pump inlet. When the coolant is cold (less than 80C ) the thermostat allows coolant circulation around the block. If the engine is hot then the heater would not work but you don't need it then. When the outside temperature is 10F it takes about 45 min to warm the cylinder head to 60F.
1989 Jetta NA diesel 280,000 miles
1984 Rabbit NA diesel 190,000 miles