Help! Fuel Line Routing

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

kcooper04
Glow Plug

Help! Fuel Line Routing

Post by kcooper04 »

I had a leak on my fuel injection pump, so I rebuilt it after reading here on how to do it. I made a mistake, though. When I took the pump out of the car, I forgot to note where the vacuum and return line to the fuel filter hook up! :oops: My Bosch pump has the LDA vacuum disc thing on top. I've looked all over for pictures of where the lines go, but none of the pictures seem to get it from the right angle. I have two banjo fittings on the cover, one vertically over the other one. Which one goes back to the fuel filter and which one goes to vacuum? I'm in the library after looking through a useless Chilton's and other books to no avail, so hopefully my description is correct If someone knows or has the Bosch fuel pump with the two banjo fittings on the cover, can you tell me which goes to what? Also, I might have screwed up the bolts for each one now, too. One has a fat hole in and one has a small hole. Which goes with which? Thanks so much!
1991 Jetta 1.6L Diesel
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Not very familiar with the turbo pump but usually the banjo bolt with the tiny hole feeds back to the fuel tank return.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

The vacuum line goes to the center of the intake manifold. It should be close to the nut on left that holds the heat shield. As far as the as the bango's go the bigger one by the office is return to tank later models to the tempostat valve on the filter then the tank. The smaller one is a return line from the injectors.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
kcooper04
Glow Plug

Post by kcooper04 »

Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure which goes where, so I put in some photos.
Here is a picture of the injection pump and the two holes (top and bottom):

Here is a photo of the two banjo fittings. The one on the right goes back to the fuel filter and to the overflow on the injectors. The one on the left goes to vacuum fittings?

Here are the two banjo bolts with the large and small orifices:

From the posts, it looks like I'm supposed to put the banjo fitting to the fuel filter and injectors in the bottom hole with the small orifice bolt and the banjo fitting that goes to the vacuum in the top hole with the large orifice bolt. Is that right?
1991 Jetta 1.6L Diesel
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

That looks right to me.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Banjo with the large hole is the pump input from the fuel filter... the hole for this fitting is on the passenger side of the pump.

Banjo with the small hole is the pump output... usually has two tubes attached.. one to the return on the fuel tank and the other from the the return on the injector lines.... the hole for this fitting is on the drivers side of the pump.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

banjos

Post by Fatmobile »

Banjo with the large hole is the pump input from the fuel filter
Probably not.
I think you have it right, with that banjo bolt working with the vacuum line going to the altitude compensator.
The banjo bolt with the small hole (says "OUT" on top) works with the 2 barbed banjo going to the filter and injectors.... and probably goes to the bottom hole shown in the pictures.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

What FatMobile said... I missed the word "vacuum" in the initial post. :oops:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs