How to soundproof?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

How to soundproof?

Post by jettaman8691 »

Has anyone ever been successful in soundproofing your diesel? If so, how did you do it?
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

Earplugs
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

You could also pull the interior/dash/maybe engine and redo everything with dynamat/b quite/etc... during a rustoration. It'll be lighter than that asphalt stuff, and probably much quieter.
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

duffer wrote:Earplugs
LOL! :lol:
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Not legal in a lot of places but Bose noise canceling head phones.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

surfcam wrote:Not legal in a lot of places but Bose noise canceling head phones.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Other than the sound of my kids voices, nothing is finer than the sound of an idling diesel engine.....

course thats just my opinion
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

My best solution so far is a good stereo system, turned up loud. Maybe that's why I don't hear so well anymore....
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

bscutt wrote:My best solution so far is a good stereo system, turned up loud. Maybe that's why I don't hear so well anymore....
You would need a min of 5000w to overcome the noise factor in my diesel Vanagon Panel, no seats, no carpet, at 65 mph
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

Find what rattles, with your hand stopping the noise. Take that part off and put paper or tissue in there to stop the vibration. Do this often and you and you can elimate most of the noise. For instance, if you instrument panel cover rattles, then take it off and jammed some paper in there where it rattles and put it back on. Simple cheap fix.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

dieselsnowmobile wrote:Find what rattles, with your hand stopping the noise. Take that part off and put paper or tissue in there to stop the vibration. Do this often and you and you can elimate most of the noise. For instance, if you instrument panel cover rattles, then take it off and jammed some paper in there where it rattles and put it back on. Simple cheap fix.
What do we do with that little monster up front that is running 4000 rpms at 75 mph? After all, this IS California where the Soccer Moms in their
leased SUV's and daily goal to spend as much money as possible are about 4 feet off that back bumper
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Post by BlueDog »

Soccer Moms .........................are about 4 feet off that back bumper[/quote]

cool if ya could pull the cold-start-lever and SMOKE'EM!
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

BlueDog wrote:Soccer Moms .........................are about 4 feet off that back bumper
cool if ya could pull the cold-start-lever and SMOKE'EM![/quote]

I actually had this broad in a X5 ride my bumper up Carmel Hill the other day, she was so close that I am sure you could not slide a cat hair between here bumper and my rear

A few years ago my Kraut mechanic fixed me up with a cute little item, he enriched the pump way up there, then as long as you keep your foot 3/4 or less off the floor it runs clear, you floor it, it will bellow like a Freight Train

So I floored it....the broad had a Virginia Slim Cig in her hand puffing away and actually WAVED HER HAND ACROSS HER FACE like to swish the smoke from my van away

I slowed down and hit 3rd then floored it up to the pump limit
held it there....she passed me on the right in the gutter---just as she cut back in front of me a CHP Motorcop was coming down the hill, he hung a U and went after her

BTW, I got a new windshield out of it deal, I pulled up behind the cop and told him her SUV threw stones at my van

VW windshield at the dealer was 6 bills.....needless to say, I kept the money
bwv
Diesel Freak

Re: How to soundproof?

Post by bwv »

jettaman8691 wrote:Has anyone ever been successful in soundproofing your diesel? If so, how did you do it?
Could you repeat the question please?

:lol:
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

quiet

Post by Fatmobile »

You could also pull the interior/dash/maybe engine and redo everything with dynamat/b quite/etc... during a rustoration. It'll be lighter than that asphalt stuff, and probably much quieter.
This is some good advice, there are better sound deadeners than what the factory put in and you can put it in more places.
I'm not sure which car you have.... good time to suggest everyone put their car in their sig.
The A2s are quieter so if you have an A1 sell it and buy an A2.
Otherwise, I think the '84 Rabbit had more sound deadening under the dash if your is earlier than '84 you could swap some of this stuff in.
Some cars have removed the hood padding, which absorbs engine noise.
I've heard of people filling body cavities (the car's body cavitys) with everything from the expanding foam to stuffing polyfill.
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

My 82 bunny has/had a roof that resonates. I put a stiffener (1" x2") pine stick (broom stick would work good) between the tunnel and roof. I have several buddies(???) that give me a bad time about it, but it works, and the bunny is paid for and it gets 50mpg all day long.....